What's new

How to get started

Dear Gents,

I use an Eco Hawk for headshaving which runs on half DE's. I tried it once or twice on my face but by and large I use DE's.

Over the last couple of weeks I aquired:

#) a Valet Autostrop Model?
#) a GEM Featherweight
#) a GEM Clogproof Model???

IMG_0171.jpg

and the corresponding blades.

So any tips and guidance on which one to use first and which models that I got?
Also I normaly shave at a steep angle but read that SE's should be used nearly flat on the skin?!?
So your help on do's and dont's is very much appreciated.

I have not used an autostrop but the clog-pruf and featherweight are very familiar. What you have there is not a clog-pruf, but what I believe is referred to as the 1912 model. The featherweight is fine, but a bit light for my taste (what can you expect from the name). The 1912 model is a fine shaver. As to angle, I find it easier to find the proper angle on the Gem style razors than most DE razors. it's hard to see in your photos, but there is a bevel right at the end of the top cap. that should be parallel to the skin.

I think the Featherweight is the mildest of the three and would be where I would start. Yes, the razor is designed such that you almost lay it flat against the skin. I agree that you have a Gem 1912 but I can't see enough of the AutoStrop to identify the model. This is a Clog-Pruf:

20200501_120939.jpg

Top Bottom