What's new

How to get outstanding results of the La Lune hones?

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
To guys who have purple French slates, do they leave a very toothy scratch pattern like the metallic colored special stones?

David

I don't have a scope either, I'm using a 10x loupe. I have a mystery purple slate that I'm messing with now and trying to figure out. It leaves an extremely fine mirrored finish so I was just curious if the purple French slates did the same

Vermont is what came to mind as mine gets a bevel gleaming and my lune doesn't. Yellow lakes don't run all that fine, do they?

I have some Vosgian/Alsatian French slate that I pulled out of the ground there that leaves an amazing polish used with oil. It can have a metallic, blue-purple sheen or a deep, dark red wine tint and fissures readily with water. Hence the use of oil, as recommended by F.G.B.C. as well.

Edit: Why not post a pic of the stone in question? Where was the seller located?

Last edited:
To guys who have purple French slates, do they leave a very toothy scratch pattern like the metallic colored special stones?

The purple french slate you talk about is a labelled stone or a stone showing a ink stamp "fine", "very fine", extra fine" ?

David

I have some Vosgian/Alsatian French slate that I pulled out of the ground there that leaves an amazing polish used with oil. It can have a metallic, blue-purple sheen or a deep, dark red wine tint and fissures readily with water. Hence the use of oil, as recommended by F.G.B.C. as well.

Edit: Why not post a pic of the stone in question? Where was the seller located?
I will post pictures sometime today. I bought the stone at a flea market in Chattanooga. He had quite a few stones ranging from Thuris to Arks, coticules and even a Lorraine. He said he had bought them over the years at estate sales.

I will post pictures sometime today. I bought the stone at a flea market in Chattanooga. He had quite a few stones ranging from Thuris to Arks, coticules and even a Lorraine. He said he had bought them over the years at estate sales.

Wow, lucky you. Did you drive all the way across the state just for that? Looking forward to the pix.

David

Wow, lucky you. Did you drive all the way across the state just for that? Looking forward to the pix.
We went hiking in the mountains and on the way home we stopped for gas and noticed they had a flea market at that exit so we stopped in. The seller actually lives in Nashville and told me he had boxes of stones in his basement. I got his number and went back a couple weeks later and came back with 15-20 stones.
Pics coming up shortly.

While we're waiting, I thought I'd post shots of four pieces of "French slate" pulled from the ground in the Vosges mountains last summer, followed by two shots of one of my Lune stones (the other one is redder). The four from the ground, the first, violet one is not so hot due to fissures, but the blue purple two are very good, the first used with oil and the second with a water/slurry. The last one with fossils is nice with water/slurry and feels like a thuri.

$1-of-2.jpg $2-of-2.jpg
$Pierre-La-Lune-1-of-2.jpg$Pierre-La-Lune-2-of-2.jpg

David

This is a difficult stone to photograph. I tried pics outside but they were too washed out. As you look at it in person it has a holographic appearance, and also has blue-ish green spots in places. (See last pic)

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 87
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 88
  • $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 85
The pattern looks too much homogen for me so i tend to go more into a Purple Welsh slate...thats why i asked for a stamp or a label on the stone.

This is a labelled and stamped one, here there seems to be more structure within the surface...

proxy.php

David

Here's the (unique) saw marks.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 72

David

[MENTION=108611]fatwade[/MENTION]. The surface is more 3-D than shows up in my images. I'm just having a hard time capturing it.

Alan, the color is close to the top left stone you posted. It has similar banding but it's much less subtle than yours.

Top Bottom