What's new

How to get hard water deposits off of a razor?

Hi,

I have an EJ89, and it has a lot of hard water mineral deposits on it. It doesn't seem to affect the shave quality, but I was wondering how to dissolve the deposits, and prevent them from coming back?

Try a product for getting rid of lime deposits. In Canada it's called "Lime Away". Spray some onto a cloth and wipe the razor till the spots are gone then rinse with water and dry the razor. You might also try "CLR" which does the same thing but is a bit stronger so be careful and remember to rinse. Also don't leave the blade in the razor, take it out and dry your razor after shaving. Works for me

Yes, Lime-Away or CLR. Also Scrubbing Bubbles has a shower cleaner that might work also. I would have said vinegar, but that would possibly screw up the finish on your razor permanently. Still I would not keep the razor in any of these cleaners for any of length of time.

I have well water. I usually take the blade out and dry it off after each save to avoid the buildup. I also use Scrubbing Bubbles and a soft toothbrush on it occasionally and once or twice a year some Maas polish.

I use vinegar on car side mirrors to remove the exact same thing. Perhaps a highly deluted solution of vinegar and water, and a test with a Q-tip under the doors or somewhere else inconspicuous.

Soap scum comes off my razor with a 5 minute soak in hot water with a drop of dish soap followed by a 10-15 second hit with a soft toothbrush. No harsh chemicals needed!

I use to get water spots and buildup until I started dipping the head of the razor in rubbing alcohol then gently wiping the cap with a cotton ball. I just do it as part of my cleanup every time. I doubt it does much to prevent blade rust but it does sanitize it, to a degree. Those are just added benefits to it.

We get our water from the Edwards Aquifer, a honeycomb of ancient calcium deposits 600 feet down, and the water here is full of dissolved calcium. I catch rainwater in buckets and transfer it to barrels for dry seasons (and we've had back to back droughts lately separated by maybe six months of normal rain.). In the bathroom, I have an electric teapot appliance that makes enough hot water for a shave, and more besides. I don't get the type of really tough soap scum common locally, made of part calcium, part soap. I drain the wash basin after shaving, add rain water, and rinse everything one last time, including my face.

A quick shot of scrubbing bubbles followed by a hot water rinse and you're good to go. Avoid vinegar on your razor. Vinegar can eat through the plating.

A quick shot of scrubbing bubbles followed by a hot water rinse and you're good to go. Avoid vinegar on your razor. Vinegar can eat through the plating.

I have used household white vinegar and it has never hurt the plating. However, it never took off the hard water stains that some said it would.

I soak my EJ DE89 in warm water after every shave during clean up and then wipe dry, but that won't help with the damage already done, sorry.

I've had white marks on razors from what I believe was hard water. Maas polish took care of them in no time. Don't ever overdo polishing razors with any metal polish, the nickel plating is thin and can be worn through.

We get our water from the Edwards Aquifer, a honeycomb of ancient calcium deposits 600 feet down, and the water here is full of dissolved calcium. I catch rainwater in buckets and transfer it to barrels for dry seasons (and we've had back to back droughts lately separated by maybe six months of normal rain.). In the bathroom, I have an electric teapot appliance that makes enough hot water for a shave, and more besides. I don't get the type of really tough soap scum common locally, made of part calcium, part soap. I drain the wash basin after shaving, add rain water, and rinse everything one last time, including my face.

I read this post and realize how fortunate I am living in a city that borders one of the Great Lakes. While I don't ever waste water I don't worry about it either.

After each shave I take a moment to wipe down the razor with a soft cotton hand towel. I don't take it apart, I just blow the water out of the blade channel (carefully of course) and then a quick wipe down. It looks brand new every day. No water spots (I also have a well).

Top Bottom