What's new

How to get good brush-picking-&-buying advice

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'd guess about half of the threads in this forum are some variant of "can you guys please tell me which brush to buy next?" So as a public service to all those who will be writing such threads today, tomorrow, and forevermore (whoa, dude, this ain't the Gettysburg Address you're coming up with ... :001_rolle) let me offer a standard 'checklist' of information to include in your opening post to help us help you with the best possible advice.

1. Your existing harem of badgery beauties! ... tell us what brushes you already have (if any) and what qualities about each you like or dislike
  2. Your lathery leanings ... mostly this means do you use soaps or creams? Do you facelather or lather in a bowl? Those answers can often influence the type and size of a brush
  3. What you want from your next brush .... now that you've told us which brushes you have (see above), tell us what you want from your new brush ... "firmer than my Vulfix ... smaller than my Polo 8 ... not as prickly as my boar-hair brush ..." You get the idea. Maybe you can't compare this to a brush you already have .... "I want a scrubby facelathering brush for triple-milled soaps" or even "I want my first brush ... a good introductory badger brush."
  4. Brush aesthetics ... kind of a rough, catch-all phrase meaning "tell us more about what you want in the brush". Maybe you want a long skinny handle? or a handle that's easy to grip when wet and covered in tather? Material and colour? Overall appearance? Do you want "heft"? If you tell us the bruah has to have a black handle, we'll not bother you with white-handled options!
  5. Budget. If SWMBO has given you $80 for the brush, there's not much point in us telling you that a Plisson HMW is exactly what you need.
  6. Size matters .... if you like small brushes, or large, or medium ... or whatever ... let us know and we can direct you.
  7. Brushes that have already piqued your interest .... if you are trying to decide between *this* brush and *that* brush .... doubtless you'll tell us and maybe even give links to the brushes. This is good not only so we can tell you in our experiences which of the two brushes best meets your needs, but maybe we know a third, fourth, fifth ... that are even better.
  8. Please don't forget to tell us that this will be your last or only brush, and that "SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me." We need a good laugh.

did I miss anything? :001_rolle

Excellent post Ian. :smartass: Every one of these threads take forever to get that information out. It would be nice if it were followed as you have lain it out. Alas, we will have a "which brush should I buy" thread start withing a few hours that will completely ignore this one:tongue_sm

Great idea! I had noticed many of the buying advice posts. I didn't check, but maybe this post would make a good sticky, if it isn't already...

s.

How funny! I'd just thought about 30 minutes ago, right before I signed on, "There've been a lot of 'help me pick a brush' threads, and someone should write a 'help us help you pick a brush' post."

Ian, Top notch. Thanks!

I would definitely put a thumbs up for this to be a sticky! Oh and make sure you follow number 8... It's always nice to have a good laugh! Forget how many times I've said that myself. :wink:

excellent post ian. :smartass: Every one of these threads take forever to get that information out. It would be nice if it were followed as you have lain it out. Alas, we will have a "which brush should i buy" thread start withing a few hours that will completely ignore this one:tongue_sm

+1

I tried to answer these questions when I made my "new brush" thread.

I was surprised how, once I put my qualifications for a brush out there, the same couple of recommendations kept being made.

And you guys were totally spot on with the recommendations. I love my Rooney Special! I haven't touched my other brushes in weeks.

So, if you are looking for a new brush, follow this guide when you post and you're sure to get great advice!

The one thing I forgot is to say:

The Rooney Special will be my last brush, and "SBAD hasn't really gotten ahold of me." :lol:

That's a well-thought-out list. However I do believe that sometimes one should consider things one has not considered thinking of before. Like buying a boar brush when before a silvertip did a good job. Just my $0.02

This is all well and good, but think how post counts will suffer if we can't repeatedly ask the person to provide all the necessary information and critique the failure to provide the information. :w00t:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
This is all well and good, but think how post counts will suffer if we can't repeatedly ask the person to provide all the necessary information and critique the failure to provide the information. :w00t:

Step One: guy asks for brush recommendation ... gives all relevant info

Step Two: one member suggests the correct brush.

Step Three: everyone else chimes in with "+1" ... post count padding continues as per usual ... perhaps even faster, since +1 is so much easier to type than a lengthy sentence asking what his budget is or whatever.

step one: Guy asks for brush recommendation ... Gives all relevant info

step two: One member suggests the correct brush.

Step three: Everyone else chimes in with "+1" ... Post count padding continues as per usual ... Perhaps even faster, since +1 is so much easier to type than a lengthy sentence asking what his budget is or whatever.

+1

Step One: guy asks for brush recommendation ... gives all relevant info

Step Two: one member suggests the correct brush.

Step Three: everyone else chimes in with "+1" ... post count padding continues as per usual ... perhaps even faster, since +1 is so much easier to type than a lengthy sentence asking what his budget is or whatever.

:lol::lol::lol:
Remember that adding some :lol:s is also a much faster way to increase post count as it only requires a little click on an emoticon. No typing required!

First let me thank all of you for your input and valuable advice. I am new to traditional wet shaving, so pardon me if I do not use the abbreviations (I particularly chuckled at the SWMBO). I am looking for a shaving brush that will help me through my learning curve and function as a stepping stone to the SBAD.

1. The only brush that i have currently is a synthetic bristle wooden handle brush that I bought for $9.00 at Body shop at the local mall to get started. (go ahead and laugh)
2. So far I have been using shaving cream that comes in a tub. I have been lathering on the face for a while now; however, I recently started using the hot pot lathering technique that was illustrated in one of the videos with relatively good success. In short, I like the bowl lathering.
3. In my next brush I really just want a badger brush that will hold up as I go through the trial and error of learning the new techniques. I tend to believe that I would like a softer bristle on the face.
4. Brush aesthetics are not particularly important to me so long as the brush functions well except I do not want anything with a chrome handle.
5. Budget...sigh. I am in college and just starting this hobby of wet shaving. I would love to find a badger brush in the $30 range; however, I could probably spend as much as $50 if there was a substantial difference in quality.
6. My current brush is very small. I would like to at least have a medium size brush.
7. I really do not have any preconceived choices. I am really just overwhelmed. I am relying on your judgements. It isn't like i can go to the store and feel or compare these brushes.
8. Although I no it not to be the truth, per your request, "This will be my last shaving brush. I will not get SBAD." Chuckle away! Again, thanks for all your help.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
First let me thank all of you for your input and valuable advice. I am new to traditional wet shaving, so pardon me if I do not use the abbreviations (I particularly chuckled at the SWMBO). I am looking for a shaving brush that will help me through my learning curve and function as a stepping stone to the SBAD.

1. The only brush that i have currently is a synthetic bristle wooden handle brush that I bought for $9.00 at Body shop at the local mall to get started. (go ahead and laugh)
2. So far I have been using shaving cream that comes in a tub. I have been lathering on the face for a while now; however, I recently started using the hot pot lathering technique that was illustrated in one of the videos with relatively good success. In short, I like the bowl lathering.
3. In my next brush I really just want a badger brush that will hold up as I go through the trial and error of learning the new techniques. I tend to believe that I would like a softer bristle on the face.
4. Brush aesthetics are not particularly important to me so long as the brush functions well except I do not want anything with a chrome handle.
5. Budget...sigh. I am in college and just starting this hobby of wet shaving. I would love to find a badger brush in the $30 range; however, I could probably spend as much as $50 if there was a substantial difference in quality.
6. My current brush is very small. I would like to at least have a medium size brush.
7. I really do not have any preconceived choices. I am really just overwhelmed. I am relying on your judgements. It isn't like i can go to the store and feel or compare these brushes.
8. Although I no it not to be the truth, per your request, "This will be my last shaving brush. I will not get SBAD." Chuckle away! Again, thanks for all your help.

Crabtree and Evelyn "Best Badger" brush. What, $35 at last count? Right up your alley.

i'm a newbie to this and i got the AoS starter kit, and my brush is definately falling apart meaning i need a new brush before mine runs out of hair
I do use creams and plan on sticking with them and i bowl lather
Judging from what little i know i think i just want a stiffer brush but still soft (can that work) with a larger handle for my bigger hands
Just a handle big enough so i can hold comfortably
Budget. well im a college student... but if it is something that'd last a while...
Larger i think but again i;m not really sure
oh and this will be my last brush for sure

Top Bottom