What's new

How to fix my brush

Hi
The brush head of my Thater 4125 2 band just became detached from the handle while rinsing after my shave.
this has never happened to me in all my shaving years ( I’m 76 ) with any brush. How does one go about fixing this? Can you DYI?
Thanks in advance

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Hi
The brush head of my Thater 4125 2 band just became detached from the handle while rinsing after my shave.
this has never happened to me in all my shaving years ( I’m 76 ) with any brush. How does one go about fixing this? Can you DYI?
Thanks in advance
If the complete knot came out, the fix is easy. Just get some 5 min epoxy (I use Devcon) and re-glue the knot back into the handle.
A picture says more than a 1000 words, so this could be helpful for further advise.

If the complete knot came out, the fix is easy. Just get some 5 min epoxy (I use Devcon) and re-glue the knot back into the handle.
A picture says more than a 1000 words, so this could be helpful for further advise.

+1
But just to add, although it's called 5 min epoxy it takes a good bit longer than that to develop its full strength. Let it sit for a day before use.

Thanks , lads, I’ll give it a go. I guess I’ll have to clean out the old epoxy first

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Good luck with the repair. Don’t forget some photos next time. We loves our photos.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
The only knot I have so far put into an old handle ⬇ was installed with a silicon adhesive which means it was designed to be removed down the road in case I decided to increase or lower the loft. The knot has stayed in place for a good while now.

Makes me wonder why and how a knot designed to stay in place forever comes out. Sloppy work?

70:30-Knot.In-ThaterHandle.26mm.640.4-28.20.New.JPG

Picture included because we like photos.

This is a 26 mm Maggard 70/30 knot set into an old Thater handle given to me by a member because his Thater knot, like mine, broke in half.

There's a backstory of course.​

Hope your brush is already repaired.

Happy shaves,

Jim

The only knot I have so far put into an old handle ⬇ was installed with a silicon adhesive which means it was designed to be removed down the road in case I decided to increase or lower the loft. The knot has stayed in place for a good while now.

Makes me wonder why and how a knot designed to stay in place forever comes out. Sloppy work?

View attachment 1189493
Picture included because we like photos.

This is a 26 mm Maggard 70/30 knot set into an old Thater handle given to me by a member because his Thater knot, like mine, broke in half.

There's a backstory of course.​

Hope your brush is already repaired.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Does "70/30" mean badger/boar? I'd really like to try a mixed brush, and have my eye on a nice butterscotch Semogue.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
11-2-20.Executive#5.SOC-Mistura.Vitos.640.JPG

Does "70/30" mean badger/boar? I'd really like to try a mixed brush, and have my eye on a nice butterscotch Semogue.

Yes, but read my post today in this thread.

The Maggard 70/30 has been a disappointment so far. It has huge potential (mostly because it's a lather monster and it has delicious scrub), but it has not lived up to my expectations. I'm toying with the notion of replacing the 70/30 knot. At the same time I'm hoping the 70/30 will improve. I'm in no hurry and I don't hate the 70/30. The fact that it's not developing split ends disturbs me and makes me wonder about the knot's quality or lack thereof. It is still too scritchy and I've used it a lot. I doubt it would be a suitable daily driver and for me a brush should have that capacity.

Happy shaves,

Jim

I believe you mean the SOC Mistura. I have one and can't say enough good things about it. Very easy to use right out of the box with little to no break in. Very good backbone and softening up nicely. I don't think you would be disappointed.

Happy shaves,
Jim

I completely agree. 👍
I used 5min. expoxy before and if you clean the inner surfaces of the handle hole and the bottom of the knot, use some sand paper to roughen the surfaces, clean the dust again and then mix the 2 components acc. to instructions and apply just enough but not too much, squeeze the knot into position and gently move it 1/8th turn back and forth and then let it sit to harden ... it should never come out. It requires to be a little meticulous but it's not rocket science either.
Other than indeed sloppy work at some of those steps above there is no reasonable explanation for a knot coming out.

I think sometimes knots can come out when the brush is cycled through heating and cooling too much. The expanding and contracting of the different parts at different rates can cause the glue to release over time.

That's why I only soak the bristles and not the whole brush, and I don't soak in anything close to hot water.

(Sent from mobile)

Top Bottom