What's new

How To Fix A Drying Aftershave?

I have a bottle of CC Bay Rum that leaves my skin somewhat dry. Out of all the aftershaves I own this is the only one I have this issue with. I'm thinking it is due to the higher alcohol content. I've been considering cutting it with some Thayer's unscented w/aloe witch hazel. Do you think this will help with the drying? I know it's better to start with less WH and then add more if needed. How much would you suggest starting with?

I've had the the opposite proble. SIM leave my skin feeling a litle too oily. Cutting with witch hazel did indeed solve the problem. It takes atad longer to dry but leaves the skin feeling fresh not oily. So if it works in this way it should work for you.

Any time you customize an aftershave, mix up a small quantity to test the idea: maybe 1-oz or less. That way if you add too much of something you can save it by adding more of the original stuff. And if you mess it up completely you have not ruined the entire bottle.

If witch hazel alone does not get you where you want to be, consider adding glycerin. I use 1/2-teaspoon per 12 oz, or about 1-mL per 150-mL.

Any time you customize an aftershave, mix up a small quantity to test the idea: maybe 1-oz or less. That way if you add too much of something you can save it by adding more of the original stuff. And if you mess it up completely you have not ruined the entire bottle.

If witch hazel alone does not get you where you want to be, consider adding glycerin. I use 1/2-teaspoon per 12 oz, or about 1-mL per 150-mL.

+1 for glycerin. It's amazing and you'll feel the difference immediately.

I make small 5fl oz batches of aftershave and always try a 1-2fl oz test batch out for a few days to see how it works. For every 5fl oz batch, I use 1/2 of a teaspoon (2.5 ml or around 45-50 drops from an eyedropper) of glycerin. I found that, for my skin, it works very well.

Good luck!

Last edited:
I went to CVS but could not find the glycerin for the life of me. Any idea what section it would be located?

I went to CVS but could not find the glycerin for the life of me. Any idea what section it would be located?

I got mine at walmart. It's a 6fl oz bottle with "GLYCERIN" as the name. It works moderately well. As for CVS, I would think near the lotions or possibly in the wrappings/bandages section. I've never been able to find it.

Might not be the solution you are after, but I have found the same issue with my CC CO9T's, and I just apply a tiny drop of soothing ASB after using the aftershave. It is a fantastic combo for me. (I use the nivea soothing balm)

Where was it located in Walmart? I have one by my house that I could check.

I found it near the pharmacy section next to the first aid supplies. It should be where the isopropyl alcohol is.

edit: It's said that you can also get a higher quality glycerin from behind the counter at the pharmacy, but the USP Glycerin is very good. I've had no problems with it. It was around $4 with tax.

Top Bottom