What's new

How To Encourage Others To Try Ditching The Multi Cartridge??

Sometimes a good "tire kicker" is when you see that a fella has irritation or ingrown hairs as most men are open to solving that issue. At least that's what got me interested initially in DE/SE shaving years ago.

It's a difficult sell, telling people that blades are cheaper than cartridges only gets you so far. I've only returned to double edge shaving in the last year but I've spent more money than if I'd bought cartridges for the rest of my life lol!

For presents over the last few years, I have got family members starter DE kits and their whiskers are almost identical to mine, so I picked what should work for a long time to come yet still provide a nice entry into this world.

Muhle R89 razor
Astra SP / Gillette SB blades
Progress Vulfix mixed brush
TOBS shave cream

However, not a single family member/relative has even tried it out :censored: despite them knowing how I always get the finish I get compared to them.

Excuses I tend to hear are ;

- it will be too sharp
- it takes too long
- i will cut myself
- a plastic disposable / cartridge is better for your skin
- you don't know where the edges of the blade are

:a13:

So, how have fellow members encouraged others to give proper shaving a go?

As with any gift, you should give people what they want and need, not what you want.

I'm happy to talk all things shaving if a person is interested but the vast majority simply aren't.
It's my hobby. No one wants to see pictures of my family vacation or cares about my hobby.

Well, a few do. I enjoy talking with them but the vast majority just don't care.
That's why I come on here.

LOL

I don't like being proselytized, so I don't do it to others. I don't think I could make the "think of all the money you'll save" argument with a straight face anyway...

I don't like being proselytized, so I don't do it to others. I don't think I could make the "think of all the money you'll save" argument with a straight face anyway...

Isn’t that the truth. I spend more on these cheap blades than I can shake a stick at.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a difficult sell, telling people that blades are cheaper than cartridges only gets you so far. I've only returned to double edge shaving in the last year but I've spent more money than if I'd bought cartridges for the rest of my life lol!
Get his wife/girlfriend to feel your face early one day. "Why is his face so much smooth than yours?" "Can't you shave as well as him?" . . .

Have to apply certain size and speed constraints/logic if he doesn't know you well. :)

The whole notion of joining a club/clan/tribe/cult or recruiting/proselytizing for the same is pretty much lost on me, why bother?
dave

The whole notion of joining a club/clan/tribe/cult or recruiting/proselytizing for the same is pretty much lost on me, why bother?
dave
While I’m not actively recruiting anymore, I see one strong case for it.
More users = more new products for everyone

If nobody joins, we’ll all eventually die until it’s rediscovered in an antique store again during a new dark age of Casswell and Massey ‘s 2nd reign of terror.

I don't try to recruit actively, after having seen too many strange looks and laughters. What i have seen, is that the bigger chances to hook someone, is if he happens to complain about cartridge prices and then you can casually mention wetshaving. I have had a small success this way. Now, how many of those few actually got so hooked as to start buying anything else than Proraso and Palmolive, the answer is 0, as far as i know.

So far, I think I've only convinced one guy. My stepfather. I got him a Parker 99R, an assortment of blades, some Proraso AS, some Arko in a bowl, and a tube of Cremo Cream.

"One blade lasts me a whole month!"

That's what he told me this Christmas when I couldn't believe he was still not through the original batch of bades from 3 years ago. I got him 200 more Astra SP blades this year.

But he's a shower shaver. The Arko is still in the cabinet. He gave the Proraso back to me last year, unused. I think what did it was that the 99R is a hefty, toolish, manly gadget. Who wouldn't prefer it to some plastic nonsense?

I've learned, NEVER try to convert another guy from carts to DE!!

However, I CAN covert someone from canned shaving foam to SOAP and BRUSH!!

Simple! Preach "Save Money!" Give him a sample brush and sample soap!
Always works!!

Then, after a year or so, try again to introduce a DE razor!!

I’m in the process of converting two across.

One mate who I appealed to shiny pieces of metal. We are both golf gear heads who love having custom shiny things - we’ve got a number of custom made putters between us. When he asked why I wasn’t ‘into good as much’ I opened up about my new hobby. We bought a Game Changer .68 each and he’s been using Proraso green and a Proraso brush for a while (he works on a rig so he’s still using a cart at work).

It came up in conversation with my BIL some time ago too. I showed him my Rockwell 6c a while back, and he had it on his Xmas Wishlist. Santa obliged him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brother DSK,

You have given your relatives some very nice gifts. I'm sorry we're not related! :001_smile

Kindly I say, let he who is ignorant, be ignorant. You've done all you can do for now.

Get his wife/girlfriend to feel your face early one day. "Why is his face so much smooth than yours?" "Can't you shave as well as him?" . . .

Have to apply certain size and speed constraints/logic if he doesn't know you well. :)

LOL!!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Most of the young fellas that I know don't shave. They have poor whispy, what they call beards.

Every face is different and everyone has a different approach to many things in life. Not all of us have the best results with a DE. I certainly don't. Actually it seems a little arrogant to try to convince someone against their will when they have other ways that work for them.

I have been able to convert many to stop using canned foam and start using a brush and mug. Most can immediately tell the difference in slickness. Some have really gotten into it and have a few brushes and at least two types of soap. Many never change from their old habits.

A brush and mug improves the cartridge experience too. Considerably.

Every face is different and everyone has a different approach to many things in life. Not all of us have the best results with a DE. I certainly don't. Actually it seems a little arrogant to try to convince someone against their will when they have other ways that work for them.

I have been able to convert many to stop using canned foam and start using a brush and mug.

The foam was working for them, wasn't it?

Most can immediately tell the difference in slickness. Some have really gotten into it and have a few brushes and at least two types of soap. Many never change from their old habits.

A brush and mug improves the cartridge experience too. Considerably.

Personally, I don't see why anyone should use any soap besides luxurious foam from a can. Barbasol has worked for many for over a hundred years. It works for me. You don't have to worry about dangerous germs lurking in the brush. You know, like those fecal aerosols that are in every bathroom just waiting to land on a wet brush. You may as well put petri dishes out and rub the gel on your face every morning.

The only logical choice for shaving is Barbasol from a can.

What puts most people off is the whole useless,messy and time consuming brush/soap/cream thing.
Just buy them a decent DE ,decent blades and a can of good shave foam (like Barbasol in the US or Proraso or Nivea in Europe)
I have converted quite a few friends of mine this way.

Of course this works only for men over 40
since nobody under 40 shaves anymore....my nephew thinks I am cookoo when I told him that I shave every day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom