What's new

how to dispose of a double edges razor blade?

I would not toss it in the regular trash either. Mine goes in the recycle bin which does not get touched by workers hands.

Where I live the recycling is presently sorted at a central facility; I get the impression (though unsubstantiated) there could still be some hand-sorting happening somewhere along the line. In the not so distant past, recyclable materials were sorted truckside (by hand) at the point of collection.

I called the city waste management department, and they told me I should be placing razor blades inside a secure container, and disposing into the regular trash (not recycling). Just for interest sake I asked about kitchen knives, and they too are to be placed into regular garbage, not into recycling.

You might want to check with your local city waste management department, as I'm sure guidelines vary substantially.

I also have a slot in the back of the medicine cabinet. I love it but I am not looking forward to having to remove the medicine cabinet when I do the remodel. Hmmm, should have thought of that...

I use my fossil watch tin. Glued on the lid. Cut a slot. It will go to a steel recycling place when it is full in several years.

I am superglueing all of my used blades together.

I am making a sword. :eek:

Actually, I am just tossing them in a RX bottle labeled "Dead Blades"

Here is what I am using:

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Took all of 5 minutes to make.

A slot in the medicine cabinet? Or a magical Swede?

I can lend you my dremel. It can be used to cut a slot in the medicine cabinet or to hone the Swede.

the first! i have the latter. x 70.

i want a legit slot. one that came with a house. one that still has rusted 3 hole DE blades in the wall. good times.

I think people are worried about a whole lot of nothing. All those cartridge razor users out there don't worry about sharps containters etc when disposing of their blades. I doubt the plastic holder offers much in the way of protection once it's compacted/crushed by the garbage disposal people.

I think the blade bank the Limey showed or the tin can is going to be good enough. After all, they can't be opened and crushing them is going to provide exactly the same hazard as a cartridge razor. You could argue that there's only one blade in a DE to get cut with instead of the 453 blades in a modern cartridge!

I think people are worried about a whole lot of nothing. All those cartridge razor users out there don't worry about sharps containters etc when disposing of their blades. I doubt the plastic holder offers much in the way of protection once it's compacted/crushed by the garbage disposal people.

I think the blade bank the Limey showed or the tin can is going to be good enough. After all, they can't be opened and crushing them is going to provide exactly the same hazard as a cartridge razor. You could argue that there's only one blade in a DE to get cut with instead of the 453 blades in a modern cartridge!

Thats been my thought... And to this day one of the worst cuts I ever got was a Tunafish can lid (the easy open kind) with the crackers for lunch.
Cut me right down to the bone.

For me I'm more worried about it getting to the outside waste bin. The garbage men in LA dont even touch the trash cans.

I have never been sold on the idea that a DE blade is medical waste. I use a sharps container that is labeled "non-medical/non bio hazard sharps" and toss it in the recycling bin when its full. No way anyone can get cut unless they cut the box open with a tool.

I seem to remember this topic before, though I don't see my previous post.

Anyway, I keep my used blades in a stack with two twist-ties threaded through the ends of the center slot. I can pick up the stack by the edges because no one blade gets enough pressure to cut anything.

When the stack gets to be 50 or more, the twist-ties will be twisted together, and perhaps two more twist ties threaded through the center slot and twisted together to hold the stack together firmly and securely.

There's a county recycling center near here, and I've already checked with them, and such a stack can be tossed in the general scrap metal bin there.

I put mine in fairly large screw top plastic vitamin jar. I't got a years worth in it now and is about half full. When it gets full I suppose I will glue the top on and put it in the trash.
Too bad we can't recycle these things somehow. They are made of excellent steel.

I put mine in fairly large screw top plastic vitamin jar. I't got a years worth in it now and is about half full. When it gets full I suppose I will glue the top on and put it in the trash.
Too bad we can't recycle these things somehow. They are made of excellent steel.

go to a steel recycling plant. they do exist.

Top Bottom