What's new

How to Date a Rolls Razor

Recently picked up a Rolls Razor at a boot fair for £3. I have no idea how old it is and I'm curious if there is any way I can date it. All I can see is a stamped serial number on the side - B738747. does this mean anything.

If it has the original blade in it, the end of the blade spine will be stamped with the date of manufacture (2 digit year), next to the word razor. If it does not have a 2 digit year, then it was a replacement blade and all bets are off.

good info! I've updated the Rolls wiki.

It seems that the Rolls entry is in the DE side of the wiki, it is strictly a SE razor or have I missed something.

-jim

It is not a DE in any sense at all. It is a straight razor "on a stick", making it an SE razor. It's an oddity, because it doesn't even qualify as a safety razor, since there is no guard bar. It looks like there is one, but the only purpose of that bar is so you can set it down without messing up the edge. When you shave, the bar doesn't come into play.

Thanks for the very usefull info on the dates,that has put my demonstrator model at 1937, so thats another mystery solved.

Sorry for posting in this old thread but, I recently got a Rolls Razor and have been using it lately. The one I got was in good user condition and only needed some cleaning to get back in business. I've been combing the forums looking for various info about them and came across this post. No disrespect at all, but I disagree with this statement. I shave with both DEs and Straights and I would have to say that the Rolls definitely qualifies as a sort of safety razor. The bar on the blade qualifies it as such. When you use it, the bar limits the blade angle that you're using. You can shave with as steep an angle as you like but as you drop the blade more perpendicular to you face, the bar acts as a fulcrum and lifts the blade from your face. With a straight, there is no device that limits blade angle. In a DE, there is essentially a bar on both the top and the bottom of the blade, so you are limited in how steep and how perpendicular you shave.

I just thought I'd add to the information of this razor. It really is a nice compromise between convenience and a non-disposable system.

It is not a DE in any sense at all. It is a straight razor "on a stick", making it an SE razor. It's an oddity, because it doesn't even qualify as a safety razor, since there is no guard bar. It looks like there is one, but the only purpose of that bar is so you can set it down without messing up the edge. When you shave, the bar doesn't come into play.

Hellow to all. So far the info I have gotten here has been great. my mother had past away over a year ago. Last week end I found a box marked DaD. In was a blue box. In it was a rolls razor. I found all the information about it and Instructions for using it. The hone part of it looks like it never has been used. the strop is shows heavy use. I think it needs a new one. The blade looks like it was knocked around but edge looks good. I like to realy know is what I need to do to make it useable and or replacement parts.Oh ! the number on the blade is 51, The SN# is A643308

That's quite a find! Best of luck with it.

Hellow to all. So far the info I have gotten here has been great. my mother had past away over a year ago. Last week end I found a box marked DaD. In was a blue box. In it was a rolls razor. I found all the information about it and Instructions for using it. The hone part of it looks like it never has been used. the strop is shows heavy use. I think it needs a new one. The blade looks like it was knocked around but edge looks good. I like to realy know is what I need to do to make it useable and or replacement parts.Oh ! the number on the blade is 51, The SN# is A643308

I hate to add to an old string, but since I can’t figure out how to create a new one, I don’t seem to have a choice.

I bought a Rolls Razor (The Traveler) today and was wondering about it. From the above posts, it seems as though both blades that are with mine are replacements, as neither has a 2 digit date code. They both have a single letter next to the word Razor, another next to Rolls and a number on the other side of the spine next to Made in England. It should also be noted that neither blade has the same letters/numbers. All of this being said, is it possible to find out the age of my razor?

Hi Folks, Today I got an all original Viscount with alligator travel pouch and spare blade. NEITHER blade has a date code on it and both still have factory grease.

Looking around, I found a gold plated Imperial for sale and neither of its blades are dated either.

Pretty much everything else I've seen either confirms the idea of all original blades having date codes or at least doesn't run against it.

There are also two different versions without date codes. One version has "Ltd" and the other has what looks like a random pair of one letter and one number.

Anybody have a good idea?

I just got a Rolls Razor at an antic shop it's so cool can't wait to use it. And thanks to you guys I figured out that it's manufactured in 1940.

Top Bottom