What's new

How to Cook Everything a Little Better

This was posted recently on the Rush site I frequent in the "Better Food, Better Beer" forum - analogous to this one here. If you have seen it before, apologies. If not some useful tips.

Cook Corn
Instead of boiling corn on the cob, dot it with a little butter, salt, and black pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast (350 degrees) until tender. Caramelize a little honey in a sauté pan and, when the corn comes out, brush with the honey.

—Alex Guarnaschelli, Butter, New York; host of Alex's Day Off (Cooking Channel)

Bread Meat
After you've breaded a piece of meat for panfrying (dip in flour, dip in a water-and-egg-white mixture, dip in bread crumbs), spray the breaded meat with a little water from a spritz bottle. The moisture will prevent the crumbs from absorbing too much oil while still preserving that crispy crunch.

—David Burke, David Burke Kitchen, New York

Make a Sandwich
Less is more. Proportion is key, making sure each element balances the next. I like a fresh slaw tossed in a light vinegar for some crunch and some acidity. Throw in the protein of your choosing, bearing in mind the salt that comes with cured or smoked meat. And when is adding a fried egg a bad thing? Butter the outside of your bread, griddle it, and that's a sandwich.

—Michael Schwartz, Michael's Genuine Food & Drink, Miami

Hold a Knife
Pinch the dull side of the blade with your pointer finger and thumb where the blade meets the handle. Wrap your other three fingers around the handle, leaving your thumb and pointer finger gripping the heel of the blade. Practice on a big bag of vegetables.

—Kelsey Nixon, host of Kelsey's Essentials (Cooking Channel)

Scramble Eggs
For two eggs, add two tablespoons of water and two tablespoons of heavy cream, season with salt and fresh-cracked black pepper, and whip the hell out of them with a whisk until frothy. Melt some butter over medium heat and cook the eggs, not touching them until they are partially set. Then start some light stirring until they're almost finished, and turn the heat off. They will finish cooking because the pan is still hot.

—Randy Zweiban, Province, Chicago

Grill Fruit
Start with ripe, juicy fruit with a high moisture content. Lightly brush on all sides with melted butter or coconut milk. Make a dessert rub by combining one cup sugar with one tablespoon cinnamon. Set up your grill for direct grilling — a preheated grate over a hot fire: Brush the grate clean with a stiff wire brush. Oil it with a paper towel folded into a tight pad, dipped in oil, and drawn across the bars of the grate. Oiling prevents sticking and gives you killer grill marks. Dip fruit in rub to coat on all sides, shaking off excess. Grill the fruit long enough to turn the sugar and fruit juices into bubbling, golden caramel.

—Steven Raichlen, author of The Barbecue Bible; host of Primal Grill (PBS)

Cook a Lobster
Use water that's as close to seawater as it can be — extremely salty or, better yet, seawater itself. And don't use much: Put three or four inches in the pot, and when the water is steaming like mad, add the lobster. A pound-and-a-quarter lobster takes about nine minutes. Afterward, don't shock it in ice water. That makes the meat tougher. Just let it cool down.

—Dave Pasternack, Esca, New York

Sear a Scallop
Make sure the scallop is totally dry — use a paper towel for this. Season it with salt. Get your (small) pan very hot and add cold oil. This way, the scallop will never stick. Once the scallop is in the pan, do not touch it. At all. It will caramelize. Flip it once and serve.

—Michael White, Ai Fiori, New York

Make a Spice Rub
Start with spices that are whole (as opposed to ground) and fresh (as opposed to sitting in your cabinet for three years). Black pepper always goes well with coriander and mustard seed. Cinnamon always goes well with clove, anise, and allspice. Cardamom is usually too strong. Toast spices in a dry pan on the stove over low heat for a couple minutes, then grind them. (You can use a clean coffee grinder.) Then rub it on whatever meat you're cooking.

—David Katz, Mémé, Philadelphia

Season Meats
Salt draws moisture out, so season just before sautéing meat or fish. If you salt too early, the surface of the flesh will become wet and will not get that nice golden crust. And if you marinate meat, remember to pat dry and season it just before you sear.

—Frank Stitt, Highlands Bar and Grill, Birmingham

Sauté Garlic
Start with a cold pan, add olive oil, then garlic, and turn burner to low heat. Through the gradual increase of temperature, you'll infuse the oil with the flavor of garlic while it turns slightly brown.

—Marco Canora, Hearth, New York; author of Salt to Taste

Some nice tips there. I never have any problems seasoning my steaks with salt a good 20 minutes before they go in the pan, though. On the contrary, I find them to be more juicy and infused with salty flavour.

I heavily salt and garlic rub steak an hour before cooking, then rinse off the salt and garlic, dry the steak then grill using as little oil as possible

Sounds delicious to me. I once read an argument against this whole "salt dries the meat out" argument. It went something along the lines of salt absorbs the moisture granted, but keeps it from escaping the meat.

I don't know what's true, but my steaks taste delicious =P

Salt causes proteins in meat to coagulate and contract, forcing liquids out. It is not, however, a terribly quick process; consider how long dry curing takes.

Last edited:
Honey on corn? TBH I think good corn should be sweet enough.

When poaching I add a knob of butter to the salted water, it really helps as the emulsion really works into the corn. Bake or grill to toast if you want to, then further butter and pepper.

my uncle had high blood pressure and never used salt.you can add salt after the cooking is done and do just as good,garlic and other seasonings are another matter.there is a lot of added salt in most processed foods and it doesnt take a lot of salt to get the rda.too much is defenitly bad for you.ive been on no salt sub for years and dont miss the reg salt at all.i got off my blood pressure meds that way,along with cutting back on processed foods with added salt.

The fun in cooking is trying ideas. Some of these I want to try . . . some I disagree with.

Indeed - I am not sure about putting water in scrambled eggs, and I always salt steak when it comes out of the fridge and I wait for it to get to room temp before cooking, they always come out pretty good.

On the salt thing, I saw a cookery programme here where the presenter cooked a steak on salt and tried it myself with a 250g fillet ('bout 8oz in old money). Get a decent heavy pan and cover the bottom with an inch of salt. Dry the steak off and pepper it, no salt. Heat the pan medium high till you hear the salt crackling a bit. Steak on and cook for 2 - 3 mins. As there's no oil splattering around you can have a really close look at you can see as the steak cooks up and you know when to flip it.

It will come out dryer than cooked in oil, with a salty flavoured crust, but not overly so. Worth a try I'd say. I don't do it here too often as you have to bin the salt and it's relatively expensive here.

Top Bottom