What's new

How to clean

I have cleaned this blade with polish. It shines up fine,but I can’t seem to get this off. Do I need to sand it out?
CED54EF8-5840-41A7-B873-E503D890499F.jpeg

I can't tell for sure what that is, but judging by the parts of the finish that are still intact, 600 grit sandpaper might be a good choice. That's "satin finish" territory , and the marks I see look coarser than that, so it should do the trick.

It looks like shallow pitting as a result of rust/oxidation. I say shallow, because your polishing seems to have removed any red rust and (most) of the black pitting. I would be curious about what others see.

If I am right, you will need to use wet/dry sandpaper to remove metal. I normally use P220 through P2000 wet/dry sandpaper, 00 and 0000 steel wool, and Mothers polish. The key is to find the finest sandpaper that will remove the unwanted metal. You can work your way down the grit scale to find this. This is often P220 or P400. This is where the real work is done. Then its just a question of completing the progression to remove the scratch marks from the previous grit.

For the faces of the blade, you want to grind/rub in the direction of the blade's original grind - perpendicular to the edge. I wrap the sandpaper/steel wool around a wine cork and sometimes lay the blade on a small wood block.

Don't panic when you see the coarse scratches from the P220/P400/P600. They will come out as you progress, and then around P2000 the blade will begin to gain an attractive almost magical satin finish.

Good luck!

It looks like shallow pitting as a result of rust/oxidation. I say shallow, because your polishing seems to have removed any red rust and (most) of the black pitting. I would be curious about what others see.

If I am right, you will need to use wet/dry sandpaper to remove metal. I normally use P220 through P2000 wet/dry sandpaper, 00 and 0000 steel wool, and Mothers polish. The key is to find the finest sandpaper that will remove the unwanted metal. You can work your way down the grit scale to find this. This is often P220 or P400. This is where the real work is done. Then its just a question of completing the progression to remove the scratch marks from the previous grit.

For the faces of the blade, you want to grind/rub in the direction of the blade's original grind - perpendicular to the edge. I wrap the sandpaper/steel wool around a wine cork and sometimes lay the blade on a small wood block.

Don't panic when you see the coarse scratches from the P220/P400/P600. They will come out as you progress, and then around P2000 the blade will begin to gain an attractive almost magical satin finish.

Good luck!
Thanks

Top Bottom