What's new

How to clean Super Speed case?

Hello,

I have an original case for my Super Speed red tip with some very old scotch tape residue (could be decades old) on the clear part. I want to remove the tape gunk but don't want to use anything that will discolor or damage the case plastic. Does anyone have an idea what might work? I was going to use wife's fingernail polish remover but am afraid of it clouding or damaging the plastic.

Thanks,

cj

Fingernail polish remover is acetone.That is bad news on plastic.
There are many variety's of citrus oil type cleaners that work great on glue residue ,but still gentile on plastic or paint surfaces.
These also make a great cleaner for your cars finish prior to a waxing.
Citrus oil melts road tar off like a hot knife through butter.

Great! I'll scope out the citrus cleaners at the hardware store. Thanks and have a nice weekend.

-cj

I have used hot water with a couple pumps of Dawn Dish soap and one of my brides make-up remover pads. Worked like a charm, then followed up with an non-abrasive plastic polish...made it look like new.

Try rubbing it with oil. Any kind of oil Any kind of cooking oil. Use a few drops and rub with your finger tips. Then wash the case with dishwashing liquid.

First off NO LIGHTER FLUID.
Second what Toothpick Said. Goo Gone is gentle enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Polaris; First off, the glue residue has hardened to an amber-like solid. Having encountered this myself on other Super Speed cases- Goo Gone or another type of citrus cleaner will not penetrate the tape remains readily, and if it does, will not do so unless it is allowed to soak for several days. Once you are satisfied with the sufficiency of the soaking- scrub the area with a nylon green Scotch Brite pad. It may require a light sanding with 2000 grit automotive sandpaper you can purchase at Walmart, and polishing with Mothers Polish and Novus to return the case to its as new appearance. Absolutely do not use lighter fluid on styrene! The lid can be removed from the case base.

I describe Super Speed case restoration here: Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbropwn

R

romsitsa

First try with luke warm water and dish washing liquid. If it doesn't work, rub it with a cotton bud soaked in 96% alcohol. You can very gently heat the surface with a hair dryer, it helps the glue to dissolve and the alcohol evaporates faster.
The alcohol method helped me to rescue a book "restored" with Scotch tape.
I have no experiences with Goo gone, but I'd try it on the edge of the clear plastic first, just in case.
Nail polish remover will eat away the plastic.

Adam

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Perhaps lighter fluid.

This has worked for me on plastics before. Fold a paper towel into a small rectangle, wet one end with lighter fluid. I use Ronson for my Zippos, and rub across the dried glue. Polish as you go with the dry end of the paper towel.

WD-40 has also worked with a similar process.

Something else that has worked for me, and will also remove clouding from the surface of plastics, is RainX X-treme Clean. I use it on headlights that have gone cloudy with a buffing wheel.

IMG_0612.JPG

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Polaris; First off, the glue residue has hardened to an amber-like solid. Having encountered this myself on other Super Speed cases- Goo Gone or another type of citrus cleaner will not penetrate the tape remains readily, and if it does, will not do so unless it is allowed to soak for several days. Once you are satisfied with the sufficiency of the soaking- scrub the area with a nylon green Scotch Brite pad. It may require a light sanding with 2000 grit automotive sandpaper you can purchase at Walmart, and polishing with Mothers Polish and Novus to return the case to its as new appearance. Absolutely do not use lighter fluid on styrene! The lid can be removed from the case base.

I describe Super Speed case restoration here: Super Speed Razors: The Post World War II Shaving Culture in America to 1955

God Bless! Tony Brown RN mgbbropwn
+1

Thanks to everyone for the info! I've heard good things about cooking oil (canola) as well as WD-40. I'll try these and see how it goes.

Top Bottom