What's new

How to clean soap/cream residue off of my safety razor and metal bowl?

Simply wetting my razor with water or even soaking it for a short while and rubbing it with a towel didn't seem to do much. I didn't add anything to the water when I tried it (soap, vinegar, alcohol, etc). What do you guys do to clean your razors?

If it's really caked on soak it in some scrubbing bubbles for a few minutes and scrub with a toothbrush. Usually does the trick for me

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If it's really caked on soak it in some scrubbing bubbles for a few minutes and scrub with a toothbrush. Usually does the trick for me

I had a similar idea, I was considering doing this:

-fill bowl with water

-add a bit of dish soap, mix it in

-put razor in it face-down

-let it soak for a little while

-scrub them clean with a towel or brush

Do you think standard dish soap would be too hard on the finish of the razor and bowl?

I had a similar idea, I was considering doing this:

-fill bowl with water

-add a bit of dish soap, mix it in

-put razor in it face-down

-let it soak for a little while

-scrub them clean with a towel or brush

Do you think standard dish soap would be too hard on the finish of the razor and bowl?
Hmm..not sure I've never tried with dish soap

For the chromed razor, i rinse and wipe dry with a cloth, hang to dry. I only clean inside the razor when a blade is changed, everything has already sat and dried and a dry cloth easily removes any soap film.

No steel bowl but our sink is stainless steel, we've a spray bottle of 10% vinegar with some dish soap added to it and i'll spray the sink with that and scrub with a nylon bristle brush and it cleans up great, nicer then when i've tried the various stainless steel cleaners.
dave

Last edited:
The hand soap bath seemed to work well enough for my razor but I may need to try some rubbing alcohol or something on my bowl

I rinse the razor, set it in the sink, and spray some Scrubbing Bubbles on both. After slapping on the aftrershave and balm, I come back, rinse razor and bowl with water, and set the razor on a pad of toilet paper to dry.

After each use (of razors that I have had for a while) I remove the blade and go over the head with a dedicated tooth brush that I have bent back like a hockey stick. Then I wipe it dry with a towel and reassemble it.
I just use hot water, with no soaps or disinfectants.

New-to-me pre-owned razors get a more elaborate treatment before I use them.

The stainless steel lather bowl gets cleaned up with extra later squeezed from the brush, rinsed, and wiped with a towel.

I'm also going to advocate hot water, dish soap and a tooth brush. You don't need scrubbing bubbles or anything fancy if you keep it fairly clean between shaves. After every shave I rinse it with hot tap water, shake dry and give a quick dunk in 99.9% isopropyl alcohol to help dry. When I change blades, I put some hot water in the sink with plain old dish soap. I let the parts soak for a few minutes then scrub with a soft toothbrush. Rinse with hot water, wipe dry with towel, and assemble razor with new blade.

I have been using a microfibre cloth, the sort you might get for car washing (not the type used for high quality glass)

It seems to work pretty good.. but is there any reason I shouldn't do this? Is it or can it be hard on the plating?

Hi guys,
I have seen many posts on the forum, but nothing that seems to address my question.
How do you stop soap scum/calcium forming on your razor.
I have acquired a 1967 Gillette slim adjustable razor, and whilst I can clean the razor after use, how do I stop the build up of scum/calcium on the workings within the handle? I don't want to go through the hassle of stripping the razor down to clean it!
Would the following work:
After use rinse razor under running water.
Shake to remove loose water on/in the razor.
Store the razor, submerged in barbercide until next use.

Obviously, with a razor of this age, it needs looking after. So what's the best way to do that to ensure it's long life?
Thanks in advance.
h

I haven't used barbercide myself, but as far as I know having it submerged all the time between shaves is a very very bad idea.
I think a couple of minimin, up to maybe ten, is maximum, after that there is risk of damage to the plating.
Or simply skip the barbercide and use plain water and soap sometimes. That's what I do :)

Top Bottom