What's new

How to clean Sensor?

I use a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor, and have for years. From what I understand, the most likely cause for failure is/will be the plastic parts which hold the cartridge in place. The head of my razor is coated with shaving cream scrum - again. In the past I have used hot water and an old toothbrush to scrub it clean, but this isn't getting inside the mechanism. Is there a solution/product that will remove the scum without harming the plastic mechanism? Anyone have any experience/recommendations? Thanks, John

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
John, Soak it for 20 minutes in "Comet Bathroom Cleaner".
It's a liquid sold in a spray bottle at any grocery for 2 - 3 dollars. It dissolves hard water and soap scum residue and is very gentle on plastic.

I have to say that of all the cartridge type razors, the Sensor is probably one of the least irritating that I have used.

Do you use the Sensor for a particular reason as opposed to a DE?

Yes, Phil, I use the Sensor because of the years that is what has given me the best shave. Started off with Gillette DEs and used those for over twenty years. One morning when stranded outside Denver I had to borrow a Schick that had a "dial-a-new-blade" cartridge, and it gave me an outstanding shave. So I switched. Used the Schick until I couldn't get blades anymore (before internet shopping). So I had to switch again, and bought a Sensor. Worked great, so I kept it up. No burn, no nicks, no weepers; and a wonderful shave! When I joined the forum I saw that others said use what works best; and that is what I am doing.
Appreciate the info on the Comet. I will get some. Thanks, John

J

Jarmo P

You are an odd stranger, multible blades :p
Well I used my Braun electric yesterday, but today got a nice shave from my Progress. I do use an electric when I am in a hurry or lazy maybe 2 times/week.

Sorry. Mine, in fact, is the Sensor Excel. As to multiple blades, they keep stop making the blades I use! First platinum plus went away, then the Schick "dial-a-blade" went away; now I am stocking up for a life time of Sensor Excel supply!

Last edited:
it's my favorite of the cartridge razors. I know what you mean about shaving scum getting in the works. I found it was way worse back when I still used goo in a can. High quality soaps and creams gum it up much less. You can try something like Scrubbing Bubbles, along with a toothbrush to see if that does it.

As a last resort, the handles are still available - both the Gillette handles and aftermarket handles. You can trade up to a nicer handle. Shavemac sells Sensor handles that are very nice. I splurged on one for a travel razor - they're a little pricey, but not bad overall. If that's your main razor, it may be worth it.

I use a Gillette Sensor cartridge razor, and have for years. From what I understand, the most likely cause for failure is/will be the plastic parts which hold the cartridge in place. The head of my razor is coated with shaving cream scrum - again. In the past I have used hot water and an old toothbrush to scrub it clean, but this isn't getting inside the mechanism. Is there a solution/product that will remove the scum without harming the plastic mechanism? Anyone have any experience/recommendations? Thanks, John

John, Soak it for 20 minutes in "Comet Bathroom Cleaner".
It's a liquid sold in a spray bottle at any grocery for 2 - 3 dollars. It dissolves hard water and soap scum residue and is very gentle on plastic.

Phil, do you actually soak it? Or spray it on and let it sit? Thanks, John

I had a Sensor too, but now use an Atra & Trac II for travel or touch ups. The blades are cheap since you can buy generics at Walmart. Sensor blades are only brand name, so price is still a bit high.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
John, I do enough cleaning to make it worthwhile to have a tupperware sandwich size container that I keep my cleaner in when I'm done, so I pour out enough to cover the razor completely and soak it.

Spraying it would probably work just as well, but the bubbles on this cleaner disappear a little quicker than scrubbing bubbles brand. I just find that this cleaner works better. So you might have to hit it a few times to keep it wet and in the solution.

A minor touch up with a toothbrush is all that I find necessary at the end of the soak. It really has lessened my expenditure of elbow grease.

This is the only sure"fire" way to clean a cartridge system:

proxy.php

:biggrin:

I kid.

Soaking it in Comet doesn't sound good to me. Since it's plastic, keeping it away from chemicals is a good start, so I'd recommend:

1. Soak in very warm (but not scalding hot) water and dish soap. Scrub a little with a toothbrush and rinse with warm water. If that doesn't work

2. Spray with a little Scrubbing Bubbles and let that stuff work for about a minute. Scrub a little with a toothbrush and rinse with warm water.

If neither one of those do it, try the Comet. If that doesn't work, buy a new one.

You can baby that Sensor handle all you want, but one careless drop onto a hard surface, and that razor handle is probably toast. I know the one I had was. I picked up a Bump Fighter razor and some Personna TracII clone cartridges and the combo works great. Not a "lube strip" to be seen.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
This is the only sure"fire" way to clean a cartridge system:

proxy.php

:biggrin:

I kid.

Soaking it in Comet doesn't sound good to me. Since it's plastic, keeping it away from chemicals is a good start, so I'd recommend:

1. Soak in very warm (but not scalding hot) water and dish soap. Scrub a little with a toothbrush and rinse with warm water. If that doesn't work

2. Spray with a little Scrubbing Bubbles and let that stuff work for about a minute. Scrub a little with a toothbrush and rinse with warm water.

If neither one of those do it, try the Comet. If that doesn't work, buy a new one.

Let's make it clear - This is Comet bathrrom cleaner LIQUID in a spray bottle - NOT Comet scrubbing powder in a cardboard can with shaker holes on top.
The comet bathroom cleaner is absolutely great. No problem at all with plastics, I did several "test" runs on different types of plastic devices from around the house, including the basically plastic bottle that it comes in.

If you want to reduce the quantity of toothbrush cycles necessary to remove the "gunk" use the Comet.

Last edited:
I have also found the Atra, and Trac II to be stellar performers. After the Sensor Excel, Gillette's products took a markedly downward turn for the worst.

+ 1...There is an age Before Sensor and After Sensor!!:laugh:

Trac II, Atra and Sensor are great razors (such as the Schick Ultra and Pivot). After that...3 blades and so on...:thumbdown

Soaked the Sensor Excel in Comet Bathroom Cleaner for the specified 20 minutes (well maybe a bit longer because I was also outside cleaning out our bird water fountain), scrubbed it with an old toothbrush, then blew water down the inside mechanism with my WaterPic. WOW!!! Worked great!! Thank you, Phil; and thanks to you all!. John

Top Bottom