What's new

how to clean manual hair clippers which have been preserved in oil?

Hi fellas,

I recently bought two soviet style manual hair clippers from the 1960's from Russia. They are covered in this thick yellow oil/grease. I assume this is to preserve the function of the clippers. What would be the best way to clean the oil off the clippers? Also, once cleaned, do I need to use oil if I use the clippers only once I month?

Cheers!

Soak them in a degreaser. Dawn dish soap also works. Give them an overnight soak, rinse them off, and you should be good to go.

Soak them in a degreaser. Dawn dish soap also works. Give them an overnight soak, rinse them off, and you should be good to go.
ok thanks! Do i need to do anything special to maintain the clippers? also, do you think the blades will get blunt? or could they be self-sharpening?

If that doesn't work (and I'm in no way saying it won't) Google "removing cosmoline".
Cosmoline is one of various sticky bee's wax, vaseline, kerosine (and whatever else) combination coatings used to preserve metal machine parts and surplus weapons.
Lots of information on removing the coatings; most of it works sometimes, none of it guaranteed.

One of the important things about cleaning cosmoline isn’t how you do it but where. You absolutely do not want that stuff in your home’s pipes.

The best way is to find someone with an auto parts washer and pay them.

Whatever it cost to pay someone or jury rig up something at the car wash, it’s a lot cheaper than calling a plumber.

One of the important things about cleaning cosmoline isn’t how you do it but where. You absolutely do not want that stuff in your home’s pipes.

The best way is to find someone with an auto parts washer and pay them.

Whatever it cost to pay someone or jury rig up something at the car wash, it’s a lot cheaper than calling a plumber.
yea seems difficult to get off! very annoying

Cosmoline is used for long term storage to avoid issues with rust & corrosion. Which suggests you should probably keep the metal parts, especially the blades, dry and lightly coated with oil. Clipper oil I've seen is usually a lightweight machine oil similar to sewing machine oil.

Cosmoline is used for long term storage to avoid issues with rust & corrosion. Which suggests you should probably keep the metal parts, especially the blades, dry and lightly coated with oil. Clipper oil I've seen is usually a lightweight machine oil similar to sewing machine oil.
yes it is cosmoline oil. Should i try to remove it completely with mineral spirits? or just leave it and use it?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I won't tell you what my Dad would probably do if he were still walking the planet. That dang EPA weren't around when he was your age, lol.

Top Bottom