What's new

How to: Clean a Shaving Brush

This method really works well!

I tried it tonight on 8 brushes -- 3 of my own that somehow weren't quite as good as when I bought them in drugstores 25 years ago or so, and 5 wrecky old (pardon me, "vintage") brushes that came in joblots with razors I wanted. I was originally going to pitch them all but after reading some brush restoration threads here, decided instead to re-knot three of the vintage brushes that were namebrand with nice handles - a Rubberset and two Simms.

But then I read this thread and decided to try the detergent and vinegar cleaning method on all of them.

My old 3 are back in working trim again. And at least 3 of the 5 wrecky old brushes are now suitable to use in my rotation if I want. The other two are certainly clean enough now that I would have no hesitation in putting them to my face but the old bristles seem just a little sparse.

New problem: What am I going to do with the replacement knots I have on order and now no longer need?

Just to add another data point, one of my long-unused brushes started to get a horrible mildew smell after a few uses. A soak in warm water with borax completely removed the smell.

Wow... I should have done this years ago. I only have one shaving brush (silver tip) and I forgot how soft it was when I first started using it. This is fantastic, thanks!

Wow, I havent washed my badger brush in over 2 years that I own it. Where do you see this ring of soap scum? I dont know where to look

The ring would be at the base near the handle.

Honestly though, don't worry about this too much. Brushes really don't need to be cleaned. People just like to complicate things.

I haven't washed any of my brushes so far. None of them are building up soap.

The ring would be at the base near the handle.

Honestly though, don't worry about this too much. Brushes really don't need to be cleaned. People just like to complicate things.

I haven't washed any of my brushes so far. None of them are building up soap.

Thanks, thats good to know. Some guys are super fastidious, the ones that break down the razor after every shave to wipe it down, dunk it in alcohol and then lube it with mineral oil EVERY SINGLE DAY and AFTER EVERY SINGLE SHAVE.

Im fine to just do that same procedure after every 4 shaves (or every 3 shaves if using a blade that only lasts 3 shaves such as the Dorco ST-301). Minus the alcohol dunk, dont need that much sterilization since Im the only one that uses this razor.

While I've never used it, I've always thought the dishwashing detergent to be a bit harsh. You don't use dishwashing detergent on your car, or hair because it's too harsh and will strip off the oil or wax. Why use it on a brush?

Top Bottom