What's new

How to: Clean a Shaving Brush

Yes,Borax works too and is recommended by at least two brush makers that I know of. I've tried both vinegar and borax. Can't really tell the difference. Which one is "harsh" is your judgment. I'd certainly drink vinegar but not borax.:lol: Use whatever you have - you have to buy a giant box of borax.

Ah what a delight!
This fair maiden was just looking for the very information contained within this humble posting!
I seem to have had a wee case of ye olde AD (as maidens are wont to do) and have acquired two delightful brushes of boar for a meer peasants fee. I shall now delight and partake in this ritual of cleaning and feel safe that the plague shall not overcome me!

Hurrah!

thankyee, fair maiden! Though it seems youve been overcome by a plague of brushes :biggrin1:

Do you find that your brushes gum up quickly with lanolin creams (Musgo Real) and tallow soaps? Even if I rinse mine well, when it dries the hairs are stuck together and they are stiff. The razor head definitely gets that foggy film on it.

Now, how often should we clean our brushes? I guess when needed is one answer, except that I'm not sure when it's needed ...

I do mine whenever it needs it (which is when its not lathering as well as I know it can, when I can see soap ringing at the bottom, or about once a year)

What does the vinegar do that the detergent doesn't?

The vineagar takes away any soap residue

one thing i started doing thanks to em's videos on brush cleaning is to add some glycerin to the final vinegar & water rinse.

makes the brush extra soft and nice.

Lathering up Dishwashing soap is fun! It gives quite good lather :thumbup1:

Now my brush is submerged in cleaning vinegar for an hour or so... After that I will wash it with hot water.

Thanks a lot for putting me to work on something I should have done months ago :blushing:

I've been wondering of late how to do this so the post was quite timely. Thanks for the how-to. Now I know how I will be spending a rainy and windy Saturday here in Portland.

Can you use vinegar with "the mother" or stick with plain?
I'd stick with plain white vinegar. There really isn't a need to use something like Braggs here.

so, is there an added benefit to using dish soap & vinegar over shampoo & conditioner?

Shampoo & conditioner really won't remove the buildup on the brush. Particularly the hard water deposits. If you insist on using just shampoo then something like Prell is your best bet since it is really designed to strip build up from your hair and logically does a better job on your brush. In fact, I don't use dish detergent - I use Prell and then a 10 minute soak in a solution of vinegar and water, an then back to the Prell and a nice hot rinse. Works like a charm. Done right you might even slightly detect that old badger smell again because your brush is so clean.

Top Bottom