What's new

How to clean a Merkur gold slant?

I got a gold slant by Merkur and this is the first gold plated razor I have owned. I have used Scrubbing Bubbles on all my previous razors (vintage Gillettes) to great success. What is an appropriate cleaner for the new gold slant? Thanks

Scrubbing Bubbles. Though, I wouldn't, as some folks do, leave it soaking in a vat of Scrubbing Bubbles liquid.

Do it with toothpaste and a soft brush.
Maybe you need some soft acid too.
Depends on your local water.

Regards

workel

All I use is hot water and a toothbrush; the residues on the razor are soap after all. It comes out shining as a brand new razor so I was never tempted to use anything stronger on any of my razors.

Hot water, dish soap, soft bristled tooth brush and toothpicks. Same as when I clean my Submariner.

I've used MAAS with no problems on gold razors despite what everyone else says. But I doubt that a newer Merkur needs MAAS.

I wouldn't think there'd be any problems with a new razor, but I have seriously degraded the finish on a couple of razors by my over-enthusiastic cleaning and would recommend you be careful. I've ditched my toothbrush-method and now simply get some good, pure soap and rub with my hands. Unless there's serious junk on it, it shouldn't need much work

I wouldn't think there'd be any problems with a new razor, but I have seriously degraded the finish on a couple of razors by my over-enthusiastic cleaning and would recommend you be careful. I've ditched my toothbrush-method and now simply get some good, pure soap and rub with my hands. Unless there's serious junk on it, it shouldn't need much work

That's my story too. Be very careful about the gold Merkurs. The plating one one of mine is not very durable at all. It very easily wears right through. A soft facecloth with some water does the job just fine. The "scum" is, as already mentioned, just soap after all. If wiped off, it in fact cleans the razor just fine in my experience anyway.

Top Bottom