What's new

How To Care for Feather DX/SS Razor?

I know to take out the blade after every use, but don't know if I should completely take the razor head apart to let it fully dry between uses. I can see how doing that daily would contribute to the razor's wear and tear, but on the other hand, not taking apart would leave the razor head with water inside.

I always open and dry mine. If I am not using for a while I oil lightly with camelia oil. Yes I know they are stainless, but I've had stainless items corrode before and besides the oil helps clean off any soap residue.

I just give my SS a good rinse out under the hot tap after use and a thorough clean with an old toothbrush when replacing the blade.
If I'm not going to use it for a while I'll remove the blade, then clean and dry the razor.

maybe every 6 months or so take the blade out, replace it if it needs it, scrub the pieces.... wait another 6 months....

I just give my SS a good rinse out under the hot tap after use and a thorough clean with an old toothbrush when replacing the blade.
If I'm not going to use it for a while I'll remove the blade, then clean and dry the razor.

+1

Wash with warm/hot water between passes, wash thoroughly with hot water after shave, blow out spine side, dry off/strop gently with towel, leave out to air dry with the blade still in.

When changing blades I clean out the insides with a damp microfiber cloth. Surprisingly little residue inside, very easy to wipe off.

I always open and dry mine. If I am not using for a while I oil lightly with camelia oil. Yes I know they are stainless, but I've had stainless items corrode before and besides the oil helps clean off any soap residue.

I have never come across a Feather suggestion to take the blade out after every use.
When doing this and putting the blade down there is IMO also an unnecessary risk to degrade the edge.
This is the way the razor was designed to be used and I see no reason to change that.

Corrosion with this kind of steel is not an issue and thus I only remove the razor soap scum under running water with a soft nail brush when I remove the old blade.
I do wipe my Feathers dry (incl. between the scales) after every shave though, similar to any straight razor that I own.

B.

I don't use my Feather AC too often, so I take it apart and dry the razor and the blade. I reassemble and strop the edge a couple of times on a towel. Stropping keeps the edge going a long time (40+ 3-pass shaves).

I’m going to have to clean mine now after reading this thread!

I’ll take it apart and drop it in iso alcohol

I have the Kamisori version of the SS. I don't take the blade out between shaves. In fact I don't do that with any razor. I rinse in hot water, blow out the moisture, and dry with a towel in a very light stropping motion. When I finish with a blade I take it out and rinse the inside, using a toothbrush if necessary, and dry with the towel.

I emailed jatai shortly after starting this thread and this was their response:
"You will need to remove the blade only, clean it and let the blade and the razor air dry and keep in a cool place every time you use it. You can slide the part where the blade is and clean it and let air dry. You can do that once a week as you are the only one using it."

I just make sure to thoroughly rinse off all the soap residue that will sometimes cling in between the blade and holder. Only an issue with some soaps or when using too much soap and not getting lather slick enough. Then usually strop on a towel to dry, even though that doesn't thoroughly dry the groove in between the blade and holder.

Taking the holder apart for a light cleaning with a tooth brush and soap when changing blades.

M

member 119848

After each use I dissmantle the razor, rinse it, blow air in it, dry it with a towel, and let it sit dissmantled until its thoroughly dried.
Same procedure for all my razors, shavettes and DE alike!

At the end, it doesn´t matter what one does. We all have to choose a ritual! ;)

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
Not saying that there's a right or wrong here but I went two years of just rinsing in hot water and shaking the razor off to dry. Did not know that it came apart. When I finally took it apart, there was no corrosion and just a very slight soap residue at the back of where the blade rests. Based on my observations, the design of these razors does not require that much maintenance.

I do not use a shavette, but if I did, I would follow the same procedure I use for DE razors. After use, I rinse the razor thoroughly, dry the outside with a cloth and then dip the razor into a solution of Barbicide. I then allow the razor to dry without wiping off the residual. The solution cleans and disinfects your razor and also contains corrosion inhibitors. Depending upon the chromium content, stainless steel resists corrosion, but it is not immune to corrosion. That is why it is called stainLESS rather than stainPROOF.

The only time I ever remove a blade from a razor is when the blade needs to be replaced. At that time I clean the individual parts of the razor thoroughly.

After each use I dissmantle the razor, rinse it, blow air in it, dry it with a towel, and let it sit dissmantled until its thoroughly dried.
Same procedure for all my razors, shavettes and DE alike!

At the end, it doesn´t matter what one does. We all have to choose a ritual! ;)

Getting up at 4:50 am was a strong motivator to eliminate unnecessary elements and develop an efficient routine that takes nothing away from the quality of a smooth and efficient straight shave. :001_smile

Dismantling, cleaning, and drying individual parts of the Feather DX after every shave was one of those elements that were found not to make any difference on the shave or on the longevity of the razor.

B.

When I used to use mine all the time, I didnt even take the blade out of it. Id simply change the blade out once a month and when I did that, I would take it apart and give it a little scrubdown with a toothbrush. I dont think that you really need to tear it down after every use, take the blade out and leave it apart to dry.

I err on the side of caution ever since I left the blade inside one of mine after traveling (early morning shave - rush to the airport to return home) and the next time I used it there was corrosion inside, I presume from the blade. It left staining that I've never been able to remove.

I totally get the "use it and not worry" approach. It was always drummed into me to always look after your tools. Unfortunately every time I haven't, whether it's shaving, some other pastime, or DIY , or whatever, something happens to them. I guess I am just unlucky.

M

member 119848

Getting up at 4:50 am was a strong motivator to eliminate unnecessary elements and develop an efficient routine that takes nothing away from the quality of a smooth and efficient straight shave. :001_smile

Dismantling, cleaning, and drying individual parts of the Feather DX after every shave was one of those elements that were found not to make any difference on the shave or on the longevity of the razor.
B.

I am sure that you´re right Brutus. My drying routine could be a form of OCD. I´ll try the simplest way: just fold the shavette and forget about it until my next shave. As a test. If it disturbs me, then it´s OCD. :001_smile
I know it won´t rust.

I figure if you were supposed to take the blade out each time, they wouldn't have made that whole cartridge insert process to keep your fingers away from the blade. Why bother if you have to fuss with it every time.

I pinch open the 'spine' with the edge up, let water run over it, put it back in the rack until next time. When I change blades I take it apart and clean...not otherwise.

Top Bottom