What's new

How to bring this to a mirror shine??

16523204470985248251798231498976.jpg
16523204470985248251798231498976.jpg

Not bad condition should clean up easily.

Start with a piece of 3x3” 600 wet and dry with a wine cork wrapped with a 3x3” piece of 6mm craft foam. The craft foam will conform to the shape and make it easier on your fingers. Alternate direction from up and down, (spine to edge) and side to side, (heel to toe).

Stay on 600, rotating the sandpaper to get a fresh cutting side, (4 sides). Change the paper when it stops cutting.

Once you get an even stria pattern move up to 1k until all the 600 stria is removed, then 2k.

From 2k polish with any good metal polish, I like 3m marine, Maas or mothers and blue paper shop towels.

The trick is to stay on the 600 until you have a uniform finish.

Or, from 600, go to a sewn wheel and Green Stainless compound, finish on white or red compound on an unsewn wheel. Hand polish with metal polish

Yep!
I just did one last night. Started with 600, 800, 1k 1.5k, and 2k. 3m polish then Mass polish. Equals a mirror finish. Just be careful of the lines on the razor. Like the stabilizer or the edge of the spine as a crisp line looks nicer than a half sanded/rounded line. I use a wine cork and 1 X 3-inch strips of sandpaper. Just a little different steps than how Marty does it but the same outcome. After you have done a dozen you will have it down and can knock them out quicker. Just remember that a mirror finish is not always what a blade needs. Depending on pitting and age. It's all your choice but a 200-year-old blade didn't come with a mirror finish.

You can learn to hide honeware by sanding, but it's not fixed, just hidden. Brushed finishes. It's all fun but can make your fingers sore. LOL.

Just remember that a mirror finish is not always what a blade needs. Depending on pitting and age. It's all your choice but a 200-year-old blade didn't come with a mirror finish.

I recently compared different levels of grit on old Sheffields and found that (around) 1200-grit followed by one round of Mothers looks best to my eyes. For newer razors, I go finer and do multiple rounds of polish.

For deep pitting and rust, you will need to starter with a coarser - 240 or even 100 sometimes.

Top Bottom