What's new

How To Break In A Brush & Get The Funk Out

I am being naughty and skipping over 340 posts to ask a simple(ish) question. How long does a brush last if used daily and kept on a stand? I have just got my first brush: an Omega Pro 49. Its so much more substantial than I ever though, so just wondering.
In 15 years it may lose some 25% of bristles. A very well built brush indeed.

When I got my SOC the first thought was "holy **** is this boar or steel?" so I did research the best way to break in the fastest way.

Only for academic purpose I did a first shave out of the box - and surprise: No funk, no need to break in, just use it properly. Amazing.

When I got my SOC the first thought was "holy **** is this boar or steel?" so I did research the best way to break in the fastest way.

+1

When I took my boar out of the box I was astonished at how stiff it felt. Then I remembered that you have to soak these brushes - I have been spoiled by my synthetic, which feels soft dry or wet with no soaking needed.

After the soak/overnight lather, I'm definitely getting some brown stuff out of the bristles. Somewhat softer, haven't yet tried it to shave (probably tomorrow). Smell reduced but some residual, so I'm repeating the lather overnight (soaked for a few more hours today).

Update - 2 days of soaking x several hours and 2 overnights with lather soaking in.

The brush was nicely softened; not to the degree of my synthetic Muhle, but not rough, either. Most but not all of the smell is gone. I cannot tell if the tips are splitting or not.

The brush did lather well and feel good on my face.

I wonder how much the tips will continue to split/soften, but I think this method worked very nicely for my brush and thank the OP.

Hi, I've just got a vulfix badger/boar mix brush. I've been reading your post, I'm going to try soaking in my mitchells wool fat, but do I sit it on its base when soaking overnight, or hang it in its stand for the best results?

Thank you

Recently, my brush bit the dust, and I picked up a Van Der Hagen deluxe boar brush at my local pharmacy.
I followed Ambrose's advice, using Dr. Bronner's liquid tea tree soap instead of Dawn for the wash and soak steps.
Lathered it with Lightfoot's Pine and let it sit overnight.
This morning I was pleasantly surprised with a softer, un-funky brush.
This will do nicely while I look for another brush.
Thanks for the advice!

Tried this last night with a Best Shave horse and it made the brush much softer. Thanks for the advice. I soaked it about 4 hours in Kirkland dish detergent and the lathered it with CO Bigelow. Left it face down in a bowl.

Wow this thread is still going! :)

Ive now reduced the method to washing it a few times with shampoo or dish soap then let it sit loaded with soap or cream.

Yes indeed Neffarious I would say the magic of the defunking is in the long sit with soap or cream and works best loaded not lathered.

I'm giving this a try with my newly acquired 1305 right now. I've gotten most of the funk out by just doing a few test lathers over the last couple of days, but there's still a bit of funk in the brush, and it still feels pretty scratchy. I'm hoping Thid will soften it up a little more quickly.

Its soaking right now, and I'll lather it up before bd tonight and let it sit overnight.

I have a new Omega boar brush and I tried this as well as a de-funking method on a blog by "Bruce on shaving" and neither has removed the smell. What seems odd to me is the odour isn't like a wet dog or any other living thing, but sort of like mothballs. It's not overpowering but definitely noticeable. Maybe once I get through some shaves with it, that will help/eliminate the smell.

I'm thinking of trying this method to my pure badger brush, but just to clarify: Do you rinse the brush after it has been soaking in the soapy water, or immediately start lathering?

@ JoeyB
Dip your brush in a White vinegar-hot water soluble for 10'
Wash and rinse it,let it dry
Leave your brush in the soaking lather (from a strong smell soap) at least 8-10 hours
Wash and rinse it,let it dry for a day.
You are ready now !
The next day start lather with the soap-cream that you like
In Pure badgers there is no problem with odour but even if you have the process above will vanish everything.

Top Bottom