What's new

How to Apply the Rectangular Ach. Brito Mogno Shaving Soap

Ach. Brito has created the excellent and (in my neck of the woods) reasonably priced Mogno shaving soap, but users have been puzzled by the rectangular Mogno shaving soap bar that does not adapt well to shaving soap dishes designed for round shaving pucks.

1629105709691.jpeg

© Loja dos Sabonetes

I have solved that problem by putting the Mogno shaving soap in an old-fashioned barber’s bowl with thumb hole and charging the brush before face-lathering. That works well, but some part of the shaving soap bar still extends beyond the rim of the mug and will eventually break off as the soap gets thinner with use.

1629104927089.jpeg

© pflegefuermaenner.de

I don’t use shaving sticks too often, but yesterday - when I used a La Toja shaving stick - I had the idea of applying Mogno shaving soap just like a shaving stick.
That is: wash my face and rub the Mogno shaving soap bar directly across the shaving area.

I do not know why I haven’t tried this with the Mogno bar before, but this morning it worked quite well.
The instructions on the Mogno packaging don’t mention anything, but maybe the shaving soap was meant to be used that way.
Or maybe Ach. Brito just leaves it to the customer to use the bar in whatever way he likes… :thumbup1:

B.

Last edited:
Those techniques work fine. The brush can also be loaded with soap held in one hand, just using side-to-side strokes with the brush held at a slight angle and rotated a bit to load evenly. Another technique is to lather the soap in your hands, then apply the soap lather to the face. The easiest technique is to wet the bar and rub the stubble with the bar directly until a slight film of soap is laid down, then face lather with the brush.

Rectangular dishes for hand soap work well for this. Just so long as the soap can drain and dry. There is no rule that says one must load the brush from the dish. Just pick the soap up and load it in hand.

There is a great thread on Mogno, started by @Marco, perhaps it would've been smarter to put your post there.

Maybe moderators can help?

FWIW, I have used Mogno in that fashion, but I do a "double" - first rub the soap against my wet stubble and massage it thoroughly to create a thin layer. I then load my brush and build lather in the bowl. Finally, I go back to my face, to face-lather, adding water as necessary, by dipping the tips of my brush in hot water.

I actually do this with every soap, be it hard (triple-milled) or soft/croap.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
There is a great thread on Mogno, started by @Marco, perhaps it would've been smarter to put your post there.

FWIW, I have used Mogno in that fashion, but I do a "double" - first rub the soap against my wet stubble and massage it thoroughly to create a thin layer. I then load my brush and build lather in the bowl. Finally, I go back to my face, to face-lather, adding water as necessary, by dipping the tips of my brush in hot water.

I actually do this with every soap, be it hard (triple-milled) or soft/croap.

Sounds great, Dave. I do a "double load" with sticks and it works beautifully.

Sounds great, Dave. I do a "double load" with sticks and it works beautifully.
Indeed it does. I do not know scientifically why is that, but the fact is that my shaves have gotten better since I do this "heavy lathering".

I actually subscribe to Mauro Di Lernia method, I'm sure you know this guy. He has this thing where he tries to clean the soap off his cheek by swiftly rubbing his fingernail against the face... and when he can't take the soap off, he says that's the lather (consistency) you want. I couldn't agree more.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Indeed it does. I do not know scientifically why is that, but the fact is that my shaves have gotten better since I do this "heavy lathering".

I actually subscribe to Mauro Di Lernia method, I'm sure you know this guy. He has this thing where he tries to clean the soap off his cheek by swiftly rubbing his fingernail against the face... and when he can't take the soap off, he says that's the lather (consistency) you want. I couldn't agree more.

Yes, Mauro and Luca are two popular wet shavers/youtubers here in Italy and have many followers. I started using the "double load" technique much before they came out because it was suggested to me by an old Italian Master Barber years ago.

Yes, I know.
I have actually added a few comments there, but at 22 pages as of today Marco’s thread approaches a length were it becomes hard for viewers to follow individual contributions.

So I thought it was smarter not to append Marco’s thread.

B.

Yes, I know.
I have actually added a few comments there, but at 22 pages as of today Marco’s thread approaches a length were it becomes hard for viewers to follow individual contributions.

So I thought it was smarter not to append Marco’s thread.

B.
Horses for courses... I kind of like it in "one place", as that's really an insightful thread, but I hear what you are saying.

Bottom-line: see @Marco's comment above - that's the way to do it. You can never fail to create a great lather with the "double".

The reason why I went with the mogno cream instead 😄

Yep, that works too… :thumbup:
…and Mogno is a great cream, even though it costs here almost twice as much as the shaving soap and will probably not last quite as long.

Ach. Brito has created the excellent and (in my neck of the woods) reasonably priced Mogno shaving soap, but users have been puzzled by the rectangular Mogno shaving soap bar that does not adapt well to shaving soap dishes designed for round shaving pucks.

View attachment 1312389
© Loja dos Sabonetes

I have solved that problem by putting the Mogno shaving soap in an old-fashioned barber’s bowl with thumb hole and charging the brush before face-lathering. That works well, but some part of the shaving soap bar still extends beyond the rim of the mug and will eventually break off as the soap gets thinner with use.

View attachment 1312388
© pflegefuermaenner.de

I don’t use shaving sticks too often, but yesterday - when I used a La Toja shaving stick - I had the idea of applying Mogno shaving soap just like a shaving stick.
That is: wash my face and rub the Mogno shaving soap bar directly across the shaving area.

I do not know why I haven’t tried this with the Mogno bar before, but this morning it worked quite well.
The instructions on the Mogno packaging don’t mention anything, but maybe the shaving soap was meant to be used that way.
Or maybe Ach. Brito just leaves it to the customer to use the bar in whatever way he likes… :thumbup1:

B.
I grate my Musgo & Mogno bars like a block of cheese and then stuff the grated soap tightly into an old round shaving soap tub and use like any other soap. Works great. I suspect you could grate snd stuff into any soap container.

I have noticed that my skin is too sensitive to Mogno and if I rub the soap over the stubble too much I risk applying too much soap on my face and it irritates me. The method that gives me good results is to grate a little hard soap, with a knife, in the foaming bowl and then to build the foam in the bowl. So I had no problems with this soap, which is excellent! In this way the bar of soap remains untouched by water (great advantage!)

Top Bottom