What's new

How to Apply Colognes, Etc.

Could someone give me some guidelines as to where to apply cologne, EDT and other types of scents? Just as with shaving, I never got any instructions from my dad... All I have so far is St. Charles New Spice and LOTS of samples from Trumpers, T&H, Castle Forbes and others.

I'd love to start enjoying these scents, but I also don't wish to "knock someone over" with them. So far, my cats are enjoying them on me ...

I hesitated before posting this, but thought, "hey, these guys will understand!".

Thanks!

Tom

Hi Tom,

I think you'll get different answers on this one. Some folks go for the "dab here and there approach". Personally, I spritz and/or splash my cologne on my upper chest. This gives me a good whiff throughout the day. Once and a while I will hit a wrist also, but this is the exception for me. I admit to some anal-retentiveness on this topic, as I keep a piece of paper in my bathroom drawer with how many spritzes is optimal.... :blushing:

Scotto said:
Hi Tom,

I think you'll get different answers on this one. Some folks go for the "dab here and there approach". Personally, I spritz and/or splash my cologne on my upper chest. This gives me a good whiff throughout the day. Once and a while I will hit a wrist also, but this is the exception for me. I admit to some anal-retentiveness on this topic, as I keep a piece of paper in my bathroom drawer with how many spritzes is optimal.... :blushing:

Tom:

I do basically the same as Scotto by spritzing on my chest. I find I personally get the benefit of the scent by doing this. If it's not one of my favorites, but say SWMBO likes it, I might hit the back of my neck instead so it's not right under my nose. I too will put some on the wrists frequently. I prefer sprays to splashes but I own both.

Jerry

Greetings Tom,

I do the following:

1 spritz to chest
1 spritz in the air (face height) and walk through
1 spritz on one wrist which I rub on the other wrist and inside of both elbows.

I believe you can find the correct application ratio matrix by remotely accessing Ron's database (just kidding). He'd share, but then he'd have to kill you. :biggrin:

Interesting question. I've heard all sorts ot different views on the subject. One school of though is that spritzing one wrist and rubbing them together will alter the scent. Friction or some such nonsense. Well, nonsense to me, anyway. I agree with the chest being the best spot. 'Normally' that is face height for SWMBO, and that's who we're doing it for anyway, well again, I do anyway. If it's a stronger scent, then just my chest. If it lacks staying time, then chest and wrists, maybe a dab behind the ears. I differ from the apparent norm in that I prefer splashes or shaker tops over spritzers. Seems less wasteful and easier to control to me. The Trumper crown shaker top is ideal in my opinion.

Jeff

The chest is the optimal spot since cologne is "heat activated" and the scent will rise. I make it a point to never try a new scent except on the weekend when I won't be out...just in case I over do it!

Randy

Hello Tom,

Same here. Spritzes on the chest. It helps to keep track of how many spritzes each fragrance takes. I bought these 1/2 inch diameter color dots at OfficeMax to keep track. I just put a dot on the bottom or back of the bottle with the number of spritzes. No one can see the dots while the bottles are on the counter or shelf. Simple system.

Easy with the St Charles New Spice cologne. I found for me it only took two spritzes on the chest to last all day. Sue's cologne has silk in it so you will see it glisten on your skin after applying. Try one spritz first maybe. Potent formula.

Cheers,
Richard
Plano

threeputt said:
... 'Normally' that is face height for SWMBO, and that's who we're doing it for anyway...
I'm a firm believer that the wearing of fragrance is primarily for our own benefit. There are fragrances that my wife prefers over others, but I won't wear a fragrance that she likes which I do not and like wise.

I also believe in fragrance etiquette meaning only those that are in close proximity are able to detect my cologne.

Gentlemen,

Thanks for all the input! I too have found that I enjoy the scent more if I place it on my chest (especially Sue's New Spice -- great stuff!). I've been experimenting with all the samples I have received to see if my wife would notice.

New Spice is the one that caught her attention, and she really liked it!

Tom

Rik, I agree with you on a couple of points. I try to keep my colognes "close" to me so as not to offend. In my job, I work in a very close proximity with others, so that is a consideration. As for wearing colognes in general, hell I like nearly every one I've ever tried ~ some more so than others naturally. My wife's nose is the ultimate deciding factor though. I tend to stick to the ones she approves, so to speak, although those that she and I are both fond of get the most wear.

Jeff

Right you are Jeff, if it doesn't pass the SWMBO test, it doesn't get used. I also like the chest spritz method.

Cliff

threeputt said:
Rik, I agree with you on a couple of points. I try to keep my colognes "close" to me so as not to offend. In my job, I work in a very close proximity with others, so that is a consideration. As for wearing colognes in general, hell I like nearly every one I've ever tried ~ some more so than others naturally. My wife's nose is the ultimate deciding factor though. I tend to stick to the ones she approves, so to speak, although those that she and I are both fond of get the most wear.

Jeff
Good points Jeff,

I do have a couple of scents that I like but my wife does not (C&E Sandalwood is one - which happens to be my favorite :frown: ). I only wear these when I know I won't be around her much. Must keep our loved ones happy. :smile:

I apply one spritz to my upper chest/collar bone area. I then take my index finger and spread it around. I then take the same finger and rub it on my neck, behind both ears, and one wrist. Then I rub both wrists together. One spritz is plenty for me.

I guess everyone has their own way of doing it.

If its a strong one, like the Creed BdP I wore today, its one good mist on the chest. The more subtle tones like Diptyque Tam Dao are 2 on the chest, 1 on the nape of the neck.

John Bridges, who writes "gentlemen's" books suggests that if you are getting compliments on your cologne, you are wearing too much. While I don't totally agree with that, if you are getting compliments from across the room...you are wearing too much! BTW, these are excellent books to read. Check your local library!

Randy

Some food for thought. Despite what cologne, toilette water, or perfume you may use
  1. Warm Areas Radiate the Essence
  2. Areas where you find or notice your pulse also tend to radiate
  3. Hirsute (Hairy-A Translation for Scotto) Areas tend to Maintain the Fragrance
So depending upon what you are wearing and with whom you shall be, you may wish to apply more or less fragrance to differing areas.:cool:

Top Bottom