What's new

How to acquire a nice Escher/Thuri?

Howdy,

So I’m wondering if there is any other avenues to this aside from eBay. I’ve been after it, but eBay just isn’t working out.

I know that a real Escher commands a big price, and I have no issue with that. I have issue with absurd pricing.

Does anyone know of any other options? Thanks!

I’m probably going to sell quite a nice Thuri soon, so I can ping you a message then if you fancy?

(It’s not a labelled stone so not silly money!)

Your other avenue would be a WTB post on BST.

Can I ask what you are looking for in an Escher? I feel like these stones have been hyped up higher than they deserve. For me they sit just above a Coti in terms of keenness. I think that are much better edges out there.

Legion

Staff member
Step one.

Take all your money and scoop it into a big pile….

Seriously, if you know what you are looking for, and don’t need labels, then they can be found in the wild for a fair price.

But in order for it to be an Escher, it needs a label, and then things get silly expensive. There are very few bargain Eschers left in the world.

The word you are looking for is Thuringian. An Escher is just one brand of Thuringian.

Howdy,

So I’m wondering if there is any other avenues to this aside from eBay. I’ve been after it, but eBay just isn’t working out.

I know that a real Escher commands a big price, and I have no issue with that. I have issue with absurd pricing.

Does anyone know of any other options? Thanks!
I was wondering the same.
1stone in France offers these green/black shadow stones. I have no idea if they stack up against an Escher.

Step one.

Seriously, if you know what you are looking for, and don’t need labels, then they can be found in the wild for a fair price.

But in order for it to be an Escher, it needs a label, and then things get silly expensive. There are very few bargain Eschers left in the world.

The word you are looking for is Thuringian. An Escher is just one brand of Thuringian.
I’m specifically looking for a green or yellow/green that is wider than 2”. The larger version.

Step one.

My favourite stones are the ones that just have a scrap of a label remaining. Enough to know what it is without attracting a high price. You also don’t feel bad about using them.

I've hit the flea market circuit in the past and could usually find a couple or three during the season. I haven't looked lately, but Thuringian hones were ubiquitous at one time, Belgians too, there should still be many available.

Legion

Staff member
My favourite stones are the ones that just have a scrap of a label remaining. Enough to know what it is without attracting a high price. You also don’t feel bad about using them.
Not that it compares to what the OP is chasing, but I once found a celebrated water hone with the tiniest scrap of label stuck to it, and felt like Sherlock Holmes working it out. Fun.

Oh they're 2.5 wide are they. I had 5x2 or 5.5x2 in my head for the Barber's Delight size, or whatever they're called.

(Never had one myself alas!)
The barber delights were 6x2. The 5x2.5 were called barbers gem I think.
Not all 6x2 stones were delights, I have a 6x2 blue green stone, with a box and all and those are not BD's. Just plain Eschers.
Here is an old price list I have saved when somebody posted it on the forums. Not sure if it was Peter or Sebastian.

1666440441922.png

Not all 6x2 stones were delights, I have a 6x2 blue green stone, with a box and all and those are not BD's. Just plain Eschers.
Here is an old price list I have saved when somebody posted it on the forums. Not sure if it was Peter or Sebastian.

View attachment 1543541

Blimey, I hadn't clocked the quite significant price differences between the colours back in the day.

Perhaps I just lack discernment (or talent!) but I’ve never noticed much of a difference in the quality of edge between them. Just that softer, lighter coloured stones feel nicer to hone on.

Blimey, I hadn't clocked the quite significant price differences between the colours back in the day.

Perhaps I just lack discernment (or talent!) but I’ve never noticed much of a difference in the quality of edge between them. Just that softer, lighter coloured stones feel nicer to hone on.

My lighter colored are faster than darker. But I think the darker can give a better edge. I believe speed was the most desired quality in a razor hone back in the day. I don't think they were so interested as we are in spending hours/days tinkering with razors and just wanted one shaving well asap. Also even back then there were slogans/jargon talking about green razor hones too which might of played a roll in price, plus scarcity acourse.

My lighter colored are faster than darker.

Ah that's a good point - I've probably noticed that slightly now that you mention.

Probably the very best edges I've got have been off that massive, slightly peculiar, dark stone I got a few months ago and the lighter one that I cut a slurry stone off the end of. Though it's probably just because those are two of the most recent, and I've got better at razor honing than I was at the beginning of the year.

View attachment 1543541

Ah, well, $7.20.

Problem solved!

;)

Your other avenue would be a WTB post on BST.

Can I ask what you are looking for in an Escher? I feel like these stones have been hyped up higher than they deserve. For me they sit just above a Coti in terms of keenness. I think that are much better edges out there.
I agree with this statement. Thuringians are great but I don't use mine as much as jnats or my extra extra fine coticule. I probably use my Thuringians as much as my la lune maybe a little more.

Top Bottom