What's new

How thoroughly do you rinse your face after your shave?

I love the long lasting post shave feel of my best shaving soaps. After a four-pass shave (WTG, XTG, ATG, clean-up pass), I apply one final lather which I allow to remain on my face while I clean my shaving gear.

Because of the sensitivity of my skin, I have to be careful rinsing my face. I cannot use a terry cloth washcloth as it they are too abrasive. Thus, I use a microfiber cloth wet with warm water which I use to gently remove the remaining lather. Then I apply witch hazel to my wet face. I allow my face to air dry so I do not have to rub it with a towel.

I shaved with one of my Tier II soaps about 15 hours ago. I can still feel a slight trace of the conditioning ingredients on my face. With my Tier I soaps, that feeling lasts for a minimum of 16 hours and some last for 24 hours. Those are my favorites.

Completely rinse. However - some residual fragrance remains from just about every soap I use, and just like bath soap, varying degrees of softness imparted to my skin. I usually use the complementary AS to match the lingering soap fragrance

I shave in the shower, after a shower. I like to do a quick, warm rinse to get any dripped lather/hair out of my other body hair, then finish with a cold rinse where I shaved.

Thank god for the hand attachment for the shower head! I don't like to cold rinse my while body on the colder days!

I read of men who experience for many hours the soap scents left on their face after a shave. Others write about the residual effect that the shaving soap has on their skin during the day.

At the conclusion of my daily SR shaves, I thoroughly rinse my face so that there is no trace/feel of the shaving soap (or its scent) on my face. This is before I apply my Bay Rum/witch hazel mix aftershave slash.

I use a sponge with plenty of warm water, followed by plenty of cold water, and finally the cold sponge with the water squeezed out to remove the excess moisture from my face.

It never occurred to me to leave any soap residue on my face and rather use an aftershave - balm, lotion, splash, whatever…

B.

Total rinse for me then a splash of Lucky Tiger Bay Rum or my home made AS.
Question: Why would we leave soap on our face after a shave and totally rinse off our body in the shower?

Total rinse for me then a splash of Lucky Tiger Bay Rum or my home made AS.
Question: Why would we leave soap on our face after a shave and totally rinse off our body in the shower?

Bath soaps are different in composition to shaving soaps. If I am using a traditional shaving soap like Arko, Williams, etc. I do rinse thoroughly to prevent their drying my skin. With some of the soaps I use, it is impossible to rinse the soaps entirely as they contain ingredients that absorb into my skin. If you use Mitchell's Wool Fat, you will not be able to rinse off the lanolin.

After the shave, cold rinse to remove any soap remaining. Apply alum, rinse out the brush and rinse and dry razor (ensuring no water gets close to the pivot pin). Cold water rinse to remove alum, then pat dry my face. Maybe apply Captain's Choice balm if I want scent or if there was feedback from the alum (if there is feedback, it's time to touch up the razor).

My third and last pass is The Touch Up Pass,
which I do using soapy water instead of lather.
After that, I just wipe my face dry.
I shower before I shave.

Great tips on this thread. I tried the wash cloth method this morning instead of my usual rinse. Much faster, cleaner and easier. Especially behind the ears. Followed up with a cold water splash. This could be the way moving forward.

I cold water rinse, rinse the brush and razor, dry my razor thoroughly and add a dollop of coconut oil, then wipe off counter. All I do to the face is rinse, my post shave is more about equipment care and cleaning up the mess.

I used to rinse thoroughly but now I mostly just get the bulk of what's visible and then use my towel to wipe away the rest. I don't like soap residue but if its been washed mostly away or diluted to the point where it doesn't have a presence, I find it actually helps with post shave.

I read of men who experience for many hours the soap scents left on their face after a shave. Others write about the residual effect that the shaving soap has on their skin during the day.

At the conclusion of my daily SR shaves, I thoroughly rinse my face so that there is no trace/feel of the shaving soap (or its scent) on my face. This is before I apply my Bay Rum/witch hazel mix aftershave slash.
I got into the habit of doing a very thorough warm rinse while I was trying out soaps and creams, some of which gave me irritation.

MWF is so harmless that a sketchy rinse would probably be fine.

My routine:
  1. With a washcloth dipped in cool water remove any soap from face and neck.
  2. Apply Thayers WH.
  3. Apply an ASB.
  4. Take my shower.
  5. Apply a fragrance.

Top Bottom