What's new

How thin is too thin?

Legion

Staff member
Who remembers Monty Pythons string sketch?

"Ah, but there's a snag, you see. Due to bad planning, the hundred and twenty-two thousand miles is in three inch lengths. So it's not very useful."

A bit like that, I recently found a bunch of nice leather for strops. But due to bad planning it is all cut into 1.5cm widths. So it's not very useful.

Or is it? How thin is too thin for a strop? To find out I made the worlds most anorexic strop, and it actually seems to work ok, as long as your technique is good. You would probably need more laps, since each part of the blade is getting less contact time, but still.

"Simpsons Individual Stroppettes! Just the right width!"

IMG_7329.jpeg

IMG_7336.jpeg

''Useful stuff, string''
''
Well, if they're bigger than a mouse, you can
Strangle them with it, and
If they're smaller
Then you flog 'em to death with it ''

Dog collars?
Guinea Pig harnesses? [Yes, I have harnessed them and took them for a slow walk]
Dye it black and buy lots of chrome rings?:letterk1:

As for a strop? is a suggestion a dopey idea, bevel the edges ever so slightly and line them up together on a timber handle?

still going with guinea pig harnesses though, niche market that, [they have no neck for a collar]

Legion

Staff member
''Useful stuff, string''
''
Well, if they're bigger than a mouse, you can
Strangle them with it, and
If they're smaller
Then you flog 'em to death with it ''

Dog collars?
Guinea Pig harnesses? [Yes, I have harnessed them and took them for a slow walk]
Dye it black and buy lots of chrome rings?:letterk1:

As for a strop? is a suggestion a dopey idea, bevel the edges ever so slightly and line them up together on a timber handle?

still going with guinea pig harnesses though, niche market that, [they have no neck for a collar]
You probably don’t even need to double it up.

I have this antique paddle strop that is in a Victorian era vanity kit, and it’s not much wider.

Little 6” pasted travel strops? Why not?

IMG_7338.jpeg

Legion

Staff member
I just noticed something about that little strop. The pasted side of the strop is marked, the same as the sheath, so you dont put it in the wrong way around and contaminate the clean side of the strop. Good idea.

IMG_7339.jpeg

I just noticed something about that little strop. The pasted side of the strop is marked, the same as the sheath, so you dont put it in the wrong way around and contaminate the clean side of the strop. Good idea.
Lucky you noticed that now, after how many years? or it might have been bad news :p

You need a fancy cut end/handle/thumb tab on your "Simpsons Individual Stroppettes!'' and a custom branding iron logo, but the name is too big to fit ... and S I S is a bit wussy.

Often thought i would enjoy making strops, then said, nah can't cut leather straight for that. I have a fried who can though, uses a cut throat and a wooden dowel width guage, it's magic to watch him trim a belt width to fit in pants loops.

It's only been backwards for 150 years or so. She'll be right.
PHEW! Thankfully you did notice it then or in another 150 years when it's unearthed from the primeval mud of a peat bog after another extinction event, scholars and scribes would be puzzled by its appearance wondering if it is actually the right way round?

Did you find it with a gillette blade wrapper? it could be a 'rare' gillette, then!

Leather strips like that would be very useful to make jesses for raptor handling. Support your local zoo! haha.

How narrow is too narrow? I draw the line at around 1-5/8", hopefully with an underlying support (felt, sponge, wood) of some kind. A small number of short, lateral strokes does the trick, preceded by the same on the pasted side.

Last edited:
I've experimented with this, still have some 20mm wide strips lying around...
They were functional, but I didn't enjoy using them.

Top Bottom