What's new

How the hell did Gillette Guard razors get so popular?

Yeah, that's right. How could something as floppy in construction as the Guard end up being a popular razor in India whereas other similar razors like Injectors, GEMs, and even Bic 1 disposable blades have existed since time immemorial?!

Last edited:
Yeah, that's right. How could something as floppy in construction as the Guard end up being a popular razor in India whereas other similar razors like Injectors, GEMs, and even Bic 1 disposable blades have existed since time immemorial?!
Haven't used the BIC 1 yet, but used the other two and the Guard. The Guard doesn't give a BBS shave. It will give a solid 1 or 2 pass CCS or DFS though. When you're prone to ingrown hairs, being able to get to a CCS or easy DFS and not get too close is a big advantage. The Guard is also fairly inexpensive, even compared to those other razors. Finally, the Guard is easier to shave with, as the head rotates as it shaves. It isn't my favorite razor to use by any stretch. But when my skin is irritated or if I'm dealing with ingrown hairs, it's nice to know that I have the Guard around to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Haven't used the BIC 1 yet, but used the other two and the Guard. The Guard doesn't give a BBS shave. It will give a solid 1 or 2 pass CCS or DFS though. When you're prone to ingrown hairs, being able to get to a CCS or easy DFS and not get too close is a big advantage. The Guard is also fairly inexpensive, even compared to those other razors. Finally, the Guard is easier to shave with, as the head rotates as it shaves. It isn't my favorite razor to use by any stretch. But when my skin is irritated or if I'm dealing with ingrown hairs, it's nice to know that I have the Guard around to use.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Inexpensive? The DE and SE razors produced there in India, and lord forbid, their neighbor, China, have to be stupid cheap to make. Now if they were sold at a small increase above that stupid cheapness then I don't see how the blades would be any more expensive than a Guard. Sure, a GEM-like razor mass produced would be a little more upfront, but we are talking savings on the blades, which are comparable in performance to a Guard. Need it to be more protective, make the guard wider!

The guard is made for people who shave with a DE blade not everyday but twice or thrice a week. India already has BIC type razors but the Gillette guard is cheaper than that as well. It is more of a cheap use and throw after a few uses razor, with the single blade being the only metal part in it. Its OC as an OC is good for tough whiskers. However i am not sure where you got this impression that they are super popular in India. They are not. Most of graduated to cartridge razors.

The guard is made for people who shave with a DE blade not everyday but twice or thrice a week. India already has BIC type razors but the Gillette guard is cheaper than that as well. It is more of a cheap use and throw after a few uses razor, with the single blade being the only metal part in it. Its OC as an OC is good for tough whiskers. However i am not sure where you got this impression that they are super popular in India. They are not. Most of graduated to cartridge razors.
I read an article that I misread from the Boston Globe. That 2013 article stated it had only 9% market share while Gillette itself had about 40+%.

As I recall, the Guard was aimed at India's rural market, where water may be scarce.
Most of rural folks depend on the community or village barber for a shave. Sporting beards and mustaches is more of a fashion and tradition, shaving is not.

Although I have some cartridges left over for airline carry-on travels I recently used the Guard on a trip (with a non-brush cream - not canned gloo) and found it passable. I found it cheap when added to an order to get free shipping.

I believe Gillette targeted India as their main market for the Guard. Their main selling point was that it was cheap and easy to use.

I think I could call the Guard a cartridge razor. A single blade cartridge razor. The blade is held in a plastic cartridge that can be changed with another easily enough? I call that a cartridge razor? I've used the Guard razor. Works OK, just not great as the shave is not very close.

Just returned form a two week vacation and took my Guard along. Perfect for that use. TSA folks passed it along without a second glance, and after touring different places all day and coming back to the hotel room dead tired, it gave a brainless two pass DFS real quick. The best part was that if I forgot it in a hotel room, I was out $2 and could go on with my life. One cartridge was good for the two weeks. At home, I use it as my finisher razor for times when I didn't get a close enough shave when learning a new razor. This Guard is a real sleeper and many don't take the time to get to know it's good points.

Top Bottom