What's new

How terrible of an idea is a Blacklands Dart for a rookie?

We have this idea an expensive shotgun will make us a better hunter, an Orvis fly rod a better angler, and a $100-$300 razor will shave better.

Experience and technique first, nice kit second. IMO.
I have seen the same thing too many times on this forum where someone will say that a razor isn't performing well for them and so they ask for recommendations on a better razor and many will respond with their recommendations without really looking at the real reasons why the question was asked. I saw a bunch of red flags in the OP - rookie, too many passes, irritation, weepers, etc. One thing I always say is that any razor using any blade should give you a good shave, and if you aren't getting one, you need to continue to practice and build your technique until you do get a good shave. The DE89 is one of the best beginner's razor around and many folks are able to get great shaves with it (that's why it is so popular). Instead of asking "What razor should I get next?", the question should be "How can I improve my shave?".

Biggest mistake I made was going too mild on my first razor. Hated it. Too many passes led to a lot of irritation. I think a Dart or A Gamechanger .84 would be a great move. Even if you get nipped a time or two no biggie. You’ll learn better technique quicker with feedback like that. I went from a DE 89 to a Cobra Classic and not only had a lightbulb go off but learned good technique and obtained great results. Some blade feel is good...teaches you respect for the razor.

Edit...Karve is great option too and can change plates as you evolve.
My first shaves were with a DE. Five years ago I returned and went with an 89. Too mild. Couldn't feel the blade to maintain the angle. No amount stretching or pulling gets the sides of the Adam's apple. Two weeks later I used a more aggressive razor and had no problem. Some razors don't work for some people.

The Rocca looks like a nice option too. Where does it fall on your rating scale?

Thank you all for the feedback.
The Rocca and Dart are about the same.

Story is my DE89 isn't cutting it. I love the razor but it struggles over my trouble spots (chin, lower neck, and around adams apple). I end up doing too many passes which causes irritation or weepers. Also leading to bad habits.

This leads me to the Blacklands Dart. Blacklands doesn't label it as an aggressive razor but feedback says otherwise, with plenty of blade feel. So my questions posed to you, is it too much razor for someone in the rookie phase? Is it Muhle R41 aggressive? Is it still comfortable enough to use for daily shaves?

-Other razors in consideration are the Razorock Mamba 0.70, Gamechanger, and Karve.
With regard to the razors you mention I own a Karve and Gamechanger .84-P. The Karve with its choice of plates is more flexible than your other choices. It is a precision instrument and you can easily change plates, from shave to shave or even during a shave. Lets say you have not shaved for several days. You can put on the E or F plate and mow those whiskers down. Alternatively, if you are shaving every day, you can put the D or C plate on. Today I used my Karve on the C plate WTG, B XTG, A ATG and AA cleanup, changing plates every pass. This razor clamps the blade, provides a good steady cutting action and is very smooth. This would be my suggestion.

I cannot opine on the Dart though I do like my Blackbird. For that matter I also really like the Gamechanger--if you have a steady hand it is really nice.

Story is my DE89 isn't cutting it. I love the razor but it struggles over my trouble spots (chin, lower neck, and around adams apple). I end up doing too many passes which causes irritation or weepers. Also leading to bad habits.

It may well be a problem of blade rigidity, rather than aggressiveness. As much as I think the DE89 is a great starter razor, it does have issues in holding the blade rigid. This causes it to struggle with those of us who have very coarse hair.

Better prep/technique will help in this regard. However, a similarly aggressive razor, but with a more solid hold on the blade will make things much easier in the short-term.

Even though it’s no more aggressive, something like the Rockwell 6C/S on plate R3 (with a sharp blade) will feel like it’s absolutely gliding through those trouble spots by comparison.

You could also try shimming the DE89. A shim cut wide (with just the 1mm of the blade edges removed) will increase aggressiveness and improve rigidity a bit (although still won’t be as rigid as something like the 6S).

Trying a shim is also a free way to see if the lack of aggressiveness is really the problem. If it doesn’t help, then a more aggressive razor won’t necessarily make things better.

Last edited:
It may well be a problem of blade rigidity, rather than aggressiveness. As much as I think the DE89 is a great starter razor, it does have issues in holding the blade rigid. This causes it to struggle with those of us who have very coarse hair.

Better prep/technique will help in this regard. However, a similarly aggressive razor, but with a more solid hold on the blade will make things much easier in the short-term.

Even though it’s no more aggressive, something like the Rockwell 6C/S on plate R3 (with a sharp blade) will feel like it’s absolutely gliding through those trouble spots by comparison.

You could also try shimming the DE89. A shim cut wide (with just the 1mm of the blade edges removed) will increase aggressiveness and improve rigidity a bit (although still won’t be as rigid as something like the 6S).

Trying a shim is also a free way to see if the lack of aggressiveness is really the problem. If it doesn’t help, then a more aggressive razor won’t necessarily make things better.

Good point about blade rigidity. I'll try it on the DE89. And it's something I need to consider in razors going forward.

Again thank you everybody for feedback.

Reporting back, this made a big difference. I shimmed the DE89 with a credit card (because a lot stiffer) under the blade. By big difference I didn't notice a jump in aggressiveness or blade feel. The angle of attack was similar just slightly closer to the face. But it became smoother and much more efficient. I was able to get closer in 2 passes on the neck than I've ever had in 3 passes (including additional pick up passes). Same with the chin.

I'm literally in amazement right now. Like really shocked.

Edit- Words. I was so excited, I wasn't thinking as I type.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picture of the shimmed DE89. I'm going to keep using it like this for the week and decide what to do afterwards. Also not interested in vintage razors.

shimde89.jpg

Hello John,

I actually bought an adjustable, a Gillette Super Adjustable. Unfortunately that razor had issues and I couldn't use it. It turned me off traditional adjustables, prefer the swappable plates methods. Hence the Karve is in consideration.

The problem with a Futur clone is the head. I want something more low profile, maneuverable for under the nose.
I agree with you as to the "swappable plate" designs. You'll probably end up using only one plate, at least most of the time, but it's a great way to find the best possible combination of smoothness and efficiency for you. But hang on to the DE89. You might return to it some day and find that all of a sudden you can get a perfect shave with it.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Rigidity of the blade makes a difference. More for some than others perhaps, but a difference all the same.

When I read 'Blackland Dart" I confused it with the Blackbird. They are not the same razor. The Dart looks like it offers more blade support than the Blackbird.

Dart baseplate.
Blackland-Dart-Stainless-Steel-SAFETY-BAR-DE-Safety-Razor-3.jpg

RR Game Changer .84 baseplate.
razorock-gamechanger84-baseplate_1024x1024.jpg

They both share a similar design. The GC base has a raised portion on its base, I assume, for increasing the blade gap, but it also offers more support at the center of the blade.

Blade exposures.

Blackland Dart.
BL.Dart.jpg

GC .84.
RazoRock GC84.png

Both appear to have neutral blade exposures while geometry between both differ.

Blackland Blackbird for comparison.
Blackland Blackbird.jpg

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm curious if you've tried Feather blades in your EJ.

They make the difference for me in my R41. The extra sharpness compensates for the lack of baseplate support. Its the only blade I can use in my R41.

I'm curious if you've tried Feather blades in your EJ.

They make the difference for me in my R41. The extra sharpness compensates for the lack of baseplate support. Its the only blade I can use in my R41.

I haven't. The sharpest I've used would be GSBs, which happen to be my favorite blade.

Question, a neutral blade exposure means a smaller effective angle correct?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Question, a neutral blade exposure means a smaller effective angle correct?

Correct. As blade exposure increases, so does the window of effective angles.

With a neutral or negative blade exposure, pressure, is what makes the blade engage. At a neutral shave angle, the least amount of pressure would be needed vs a steeper or shallower angle.

As blade exposure decreases, pressure applied at the same angle of use, would need to be increased to maintain the same level of shave.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The voice of reason. :ouch1::ouch1:

Yep. When I was Trap shooting at a competitive level I shot my uncles old Remington 1100 better than a $7000 Perazzi Mirage or my Gamba Trap/Skeet set lol.

I never used an Orvis rod, but I found Sage rods too heavy. :001_tongu

Yep. When I was Trap shooting at a competitive level I shot my Uncles old Remington 1100 better than a $7000 Perazzi Mirage or my Gamba Trap/Skeet set lol.

I never used an Orvis rod, but I found Sage rods too heavy. :001_tongu
I remember camping with the family back in the '80's. There was a group of fly fisherman that looked like they had just stepped out of an LL Bean catalogue that could catch a fish. Two old boys with covered reals and blue jeans gave us their mess so they could keep fishing.

With the right technique, any razor will do the job for anyone. But in many cases, it’s an uphill battle (e.g. someone with tough hair using a razor without sufficient baseplate support will need to spend excessive time on prep to get a good result).

However, DIY fixes like shims can correct that, and are free. They’re often worth a go, rather than immediately jumping to a new razor. Especially with a razor like the DE89 that is a great unit, just with one easily-corrected drawback.

Correct. As blade exposure increases, so does the window of effective angles.

With a neutral or negative blade exposure, pressure, is what makes the blade engage. At a neutral shave angle, the least amount of pressure would be needed vs a steeper or shallower angle.

As blade exposure decreases, pressure applied at the same angle of use, would need to be increased to maintain the same level of shave.

Great info. And again thank you for the help through PM as well.

Top Bottom