What's new

How steep can your angle be before you are in danger of rolling the edge?

How steep can your angle get before you are in danger of rolling the edge? Recently I've been trying out some really high angles and kind of liking it so far but I'm worried that it would have a dulling effect on the edge. A lot of barbers (that I've seen videos of on you tube) will use what appears to be a really high angle, but I guess they can just throw their blades away when their done. Anyone out there have much experience with this?

Hi there, Nizzyrate

Are to talking about shaving or stropping? You can roll the edge stropping if you lift the spine at all and drag the edge on the strop or if the strop is way to slack.

Shaving using a high angle is far more likely to cut you in a hurry, but it isn't going to damage your edge. Now, it can lead to your edge dulling at a more accelerated rate, but it will not "roll" the edge. No worries as long as you have a touch-up hone.

Aggressive angles of incidence will certainly speed the process of deterioration of the edge-the nice and straight line currently representing the intersection of the two bevel planes will become a squiggly line more rapidly.

But I can't figure why that would incline the metal to roll off to one side or the other. It just gets a little chewed up.

Don't put the razor on a pedestal if you're getting a better shave out of it, though; that's what the hone's for. It'll be a challenge to work your way though the razor in your one lifetime anyway, so go for it!

Just to clarify, I meant during shaving and not stropping. Rolling the edge was perhaps a poor choice of words since it doesn't actually roll during shaving. Edge deterioration is what I'm concerned about.

Last edited:
So you mean a greater than the optimum 30 degree angle while you're shaving?
hmmm. I would think that would bite into you pretty hard.

You'll cut yourself before you'll damage an edge. Some folks prefer steep angles and get good shaves, it's just what you're use to and what you prefer.

So is it fair to say the tip of my blade might deteriorate faster than the rest if I use odd angles to get directly below the nostril? I am basing this question on the technique I currently use with DE; my straights have not arrived in the mail yet.

Anything over about 40 degrees in my experience, will lead to a cut, unless you're going on an extreme angle for a dedicated reason with proven results.

I think that too aggressive an angle will lead to more irritation. I prefer an angle as flat as possible with really good stretching.

Last time I shaved with the grain using my regular 20-30 degree angle, and then on a second WTG pass I tried going steep. I'm just estimating but probably around 70 degrees. I had really good results, no cuts, and the normal amount of irritation. Hmmm... makes me wonder why everyone thinks a steep angle is so cut/nick prone? Maybe my razor is duller than I thought.

Last edited:
I certainly adhere to the notion that a few regions of my face seem to benefit from >30-degree angles of incidence; directly below nose, under lower lip when against the grain, and just to either side of main street at the chin. They don't seem shaved with anything more timid.

I tried the same angles on the first and second pass again and got another really good shave. Maybe it's time to get a hone so I can keep this up. There is certainly a point where the angle gets too steep and it feels like it's pushing against the hair rather than cutting, around 65 degrees seems to be really effective for me and I haven't gotten cut yet. Anything over 70 feels like it's not cutting. I don't know why, but my face is responding well to a more aggressive angle.

Top Bottom