What's new

How soon after buying old spice clone do I need to decant it?

I'm curious. I finally got my hands on the stuff and I'm pumped!!! The trouble now is that I don't have any glass to decant it into, and I'm not sure how quickly I need to do so.

Any tips?

oh no... please tell me you're not drinking it! At least you're doing so with class...

But seriously, does the plastic affect it after a while?

oh no... please tell me you're not drinking it! At least you're doing so with class...

I've heard anything with a scent is best decanted into glass for long term storage/use.

I've grown to like this stuff. It's a unique scent. I will DEFINITELY be getting more of it at the nice price of 1.50. I may have to clean the store out :lol:.

Savant-

I wouldn't sweat it. That O/S clone has been in those plastic bottles forever and is probably formulated for plastic. I have one bottle in use and one spare in the closet no problems.

If you find an original O/S bottle at an antique store or yard sale sure go ahead and decant it just for the "cool" factor of the bottle. Lotsa guys do that.

If you're like me, you'll use that stuff faster than the plastic could degrade it!!

cheers,

Marty E.

Savant-

I wouldn't sweat it. That O/S clone has been in those plastic bottles forever and is probably formulated for plastic. I have one bottle in use and one spare in the closet no problems.

If you find an original O/S bottle at an antique store or yard sale sure go ahead and decant it just for the "cool" factor of the bottle. Lotsa guys do that.

If you're like me, you'll use that stuff faster than the plastic could degrade it!!

cheers,

Marty E.

You could have a point there. I do love the stuff. In fact I'll put some on now :biggrin:

Yeah I'll be out of it before the end of the month at this rate :lol:

Drinking it??? Ha ha....who would do that?....can you do that??....hhmmmmm.....I really do like this stuff.....drinking it??.....hhhmmmmmm........

I wouldn't sweat it either. I usually decant into glass if I have a spare empty bottle, but like Myanmar pointed out, this stuff has always been in plastic. The only "funky" ones I've picked up have been at least ten years old. I'd say that's a pretty healthy time frame. :biggrin:

Besides, assuming it does eventually go flat- throw away and purchase anew. It's not one of those "high end" scents like Lilac Vegetal. :laugh:

I wouldn't sweat it either. I usually decant into glass if I have a spare empty bottle, but like Myanmar pointed out, this stuff has always been in plastic. The only "funky" ones I've picked up have been at least ten years old. I'd say that's a pretty healthy time frame. :biggrin:

Besides, assuming it does eventually go flat- throw away and purchase anew. It's not one of those "high end" scents like Lilac Vegetal. :laugh:

:lol:

But just to be clear LV IS supposed to be decanted right?

I have some Clubman that hasn't lost it's scent yet, and I have had it in a plastic bottle since I bought it. On the otherhand, my Aqua Velva seems to have completely lost it's potency, not even providing me with the typical sting before the menthol bomb and I also have some TOBS Eton College AS that loses it's smell a few minutes after application.

I guess what I am trying to say is that decanting can work, but it should not be depended on to keep your AS at its prime. Eventually it will get a little weaker, and lose some smell, as mine have. But, I could be the exception that proves the rule, for all I know.

I have discovered recently that when decanting Ivory Club into a Shulton OS bottle it is best to use the bottles made from 1980 and up due to the fact that the Pre-80 bottles have a MUCH smaller opening at the top and a smaller stopper.
I wonder why Shulton decided to enlarge the opening hole? To encourage us to use it faster?
Wp

I have discovered recently that when decanting Ivory Club into a Shulton OS bottle it is best to use the bottles made from 1980 and up due to the fact that the Pre-80 bottles have a MUCH smaller opening at the top and a smaller stopper.
I wonder why Shulton decided to enlarge the opening hole? To encourage us to use it faster?
Wp

I cleaned up and used an old Tabasco bottle to decant my Club d'Ivoire into. :biggrin:

I decanted witch hazel into my first empty tabasco... need to empty another for my Ivory Club.

Cast aside the Tabasco Bottles!! Nay! They are not of The Light!!
Put our witch hazel into one of Brer Jack Daniel's bottles and the Ivory Club into a vintage Shulton OS bottle! Follow Me!!! Follow me and see if I care!
Wp

Yesterday,
My Old Spice clone seemed like it was here to stay,
Now the odor seems to fade away,
Oh, I should have decanted,
Yesterday

Suddenly,
It's not half the scent it used to be
Now instead of one splash I use three
I should unload it on the BST

Why, it faded so
I don't know, I couldn't say,
Now it smells all wrong
Not like Shulton from Ebay

Yesterday
A buck fifty was all I had to pay
And If I buy some more my wife will say
"If it's not that Lilac stuff, then it's OK"

Yesterday,
My Old Spice clone seemed like it was here to stay,
Now the odor seems to fade away,
Oh, I should have decanted,
Yesterday

Suddenly,
It's not half the scent it used to be
Now instead of one splash I use three
I should unload it on the BST

Why, it faded so
I don't know, I couldn't say,
Now it smells all wrong
Not like Shulton from Ebay

Yesterday
A buck fifty was all I had to pay
And If I buy some more my wife will say
"If it's not that Lilac stuff, then it's OK"

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

Anyone know where you can buy plain glass bottles that are good for decanting?

Cast aside the Tabasco Bottles!! Nay! They are not of The Light!!
Put our witch hazel into one of Brer Jack Daniel's bottles and the Ivory Club into a vintage Shulton OS bottle! Follow Me!!! Follow me and see if I care!
Wp

I like my Tabasco bottle! :biggrin: I think it looks pretty good in there. Now I just need a mock-label and I'll be set.

Top Bottom