What's new

How soft will an Omega 49 get?

First brush was a 49. I've used it for a couple months, then decided to try a synthetic from Maggards. I like the synthetic much much more, but I understand boar takes quite a while to break in. I've been swirling the 49 around in the leftover lather and rinsing it out after I shave to hopefully break it in more.
Is this doing any good? How soft should I expect the 49 to get?
The tips are starting to flag a bit, but it's still not very comfortable imo.

Boar is not likely to be as soft as your synthetic. They are different, if you like soft brushes then synthetics and badger have the upper hand.
Are you soaking your brush before shaving?
If you post a photo of your brush dry we can tell if it's fully broken in or not. If you have over 30 shaves on it I'd say it's fully broken in.

I've had an omega 49 for about a year. Use it about 75% of the time. Mine has remained stiff, so I'd say yours won't soften much more. Tried synthetic brushes too such Razorock, but have to say I prefer the backbone the omega has. I think boar bristle just works better for me personally

Boar is not likely to be as soft as your synthetic. They are different, if you like soft brushes then synthetics and badger have the upper hand.
Are you soaking your brush before shaving?
If you post a photo of your brush dry we can tell if it's fully broken in or not. If you have over 30 shaves on it I'd say it's fully broken in.
I think it's about 95% dry here. Not the greatest camera around, sorry.

Attachments

• 20180719_131643.jpg
    20180719_131643.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
  • 20180719_131656.jpg
    20180719_131656.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 36
  • 20180719_131738.jpg
    20180719_131738.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
My Pro-49 was pretty broken in after about 15 shaves, and just kept getting better for the next 20-ish shaves.

My Pro-49 has very soft tips and good backbone, but not very stiff, almost floppy. Almost every tip has multiple long splits. The trick is to let it dry fully between uses, 2-3 days. Using of every day still breaks it in, but slower.

I used a drop of hair conditioner and some water and let the 49 soak for a few hours. Worked for me.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G930F met Tapatalk

Mine is really soft, although not quite as soft as some of my synthetics. It probably took mine a couple dozen uses before all the hairs split and became nice and soft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think it's about 95% dry here. Not the greatest camera around, sorry.

Seems to have plenty of split ends already, great looking brush.
You didn't mention if you soak the brush prior to use or not. Boar brushes benefit from soaking a few minutes before use. If you're not, try leaving it in water for 10 min or so (5 should be enough but longer doesn't hurt) prior to using it.

Top Bottom