What's new

How similar are the Masamune Razors?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
This was initially a brush thread in the wrong forum so I am editing it with something that’s been on my mind.

Masamune owners who have used both models, how different is the aggression? Which do you prefer? For somebody that prefers a mild razor, should I consider either?

Last edited:
They aren't really similar other than looks. The Nodachi is pretty aggressive/effiicent to me, the major difference is the blade exposure. If you like mild razors skip the Nodachi and get the original Masamune. I tried toning down the Nodachi with the regular cap but the full Masamune is still much milder.

What razors are you using now?

IMightBeWrong

Loves a smelly brush
My most used razor altogether currently is a Blackland Vector. It’s low aggression but high efficiency with Schick Prolines.

The DE razors I use most are my Timeless Bronze .38, Gillette Slim SRT to 5, then 4 for ATG passes, or a Hoffritz OC or Schone when I am feeing OC.

Never tried the Vector but if you like the Timeless .38 I'd stick with the Masamune, you can always get the OC plate if you like.

I would like to ask Tatara Masamune owners on how would the Masamune razor with closed comb compare with a edwin jagger DE89 razor in terms of aggression and efficiency? I am very used to the DE89 but have hardly used any other double edged razor other than that and a made in china razor so I am unable to compare. I am a daily shaver so comfort and non irritation are important but I would like a more efficient razor than the jagger while being at least as comfortable to use.

They aren't really similar other than looks. The Nodachi is pretty aggressive/effiicent to me, the major difference is the blade exposure. If you like mild razors skip the Nodachi and get the original Masamune. I tried toning down the Nodachi with the regular cap but the full Masamune is still much milder.

Have you tried the other way around, Nodachi topcap with the Masamune baseplate?

I would like to ask Tatara Masamune owners on how would the Masamune razor with closed comb compare with a edwin jagger DE89 razor in terms of aggression and efficiency? I am very used to the DE89 but have hardly used any other double edged razor other than that and a made in china razor so I am unable to compare. I am a daily shaver so comfort and non irritation are important but I would like a more efficient razor than the jagger while being at least as comfortable to use.

The Masamune is slightly more efficient and slightly more comfortable than my EJ, to me, and the head is actually more maneuverable around my face.

Have you tried the other way around, Nodachi topcap with the Masamune baseplate?

Yeah, I tried all possible combinations other than the Nodachi OC. I actually prefer the lesser exposure of the Nodachi + Masamune cap than Masamune + Nodachi cap. Full Masamune is best though.

I use the Masamune in regular rotation, both OC and SB. I've never tried the Nodachi. From what I've read, it would probably be too aggressive for me. For reference, my other favorites are various Techs, especially pre-WW2 version, and the ATT S-1.

As is usual for me, I slightly prefer the SB for its remarkable smoothness, but both are excellent. On the smooth-vs.-aggressive continuum, the OC and the SB are both in the same category as a Tech or a DE89, but the Masamune's balance and feel are far superior. It's more finely crafted than the mass-market Techs and DE89s. That makes a difference in the shaving experience, especially with a sharp blade like a Gillette Silver Blue.

Top Bottom