What's new

How short is "short", and how slow is "slow"?

Most experienced wet shavers recommend using short and slow strokes when shaving with a DE razor but could someone, please, quantify SHORT and SLOW for me.

Does short mean razor traveling a distance of 3" or 1/2" ?
It is more difficult to quantify a SLOW stroke since what can we possibly use for measurement - mph, perhaps. But seriously, I think that just saying to go slow is open to wide interpretation.
For instance, I noticed in the last few posts about various types of blades that for every guy reporting that he gets a great shave from, say, a Persona blade there is someone else who says that his face is totally ripped up by the same type of blade bought in the same Wal-Mart store. Who am I to believe, then? I understand that people are different but the opinion about the blade cannot possibly diverge that much, can it? I often wonder if one guy is doing 10mph while the other is speeding up at 100mph.

Till now, what I thought was a 'slow' stroke would slice off pieces of my skin causing bleeds and irritation so I figured it was too fast. I am experimenting with 'sloooowly' dragging my razor to see if it helps. Maybe, we can come up with some way of being precise, so that we can all be on the same page.

A short stroke would be between 1 and 2 inches.... ie. the distance from the top of your ear to the bottom of your ear, or the top of your cheek, to the bottom of your nose.

Speed....
If you go "too slow" the razor will feel like it is 'skipping' and dragging, making it feel uncomfortable and you will be tempted to add more pressure than needed (or desired). Too fast and you will likely miss a lot of whiskers or not hold the correct angle of blade to skin throughout the stroke (the whole reason shorter strokes are suggested for new wetshavers!)
Choose the speed somewhere inbetween..... that you will have to find.
Too slow is a good place to start. If the razor feels like it is 'skipping' or dragging (pulling)... speed up a bit and resist the urge to "press into the skin" to stop the skipping sensation.

Best I can offer without showing you in person.

- Gramps

PS.... of course, Knife Shaving is S-L-O-W on purpose for a whole other set of reasons :w00t:

Gramps said:
Speed....
If you go "too slow" the razor will feel like it is 'skipping' and dragging, making it feel uncomfortable and you will be tempted to add more pressure than needed (or desired). Too fast and you will likely miss a lot of whiskers or not hold the correct angle of blade to skin throughout the stroke (the whole reason shorter strokes are suggested for new wetshavers!)
Choose the speed somewhere in between..... that you will have to find.
Too slow is a good place to start. If the razor feels like it is 'skipping' or dragging (pulling)... speed up a bit and resist the urge to "press into the skin" to stop the skipping sensation.

- Gramps

This is excellent advice and information. I found this out the hard way with my first Futur DE shaving experience.

-joedy

Top Bottom