What's new

How safe are glass bottles?

Who travels with glass jars, bottles etc.? Is it safe to take glass packaging on a trip, or will I ruin my suitcase when anything gets broken? I a very tempted to go ahead with it anyway since a lot of the really good stuff seems to come in glass containers...

Just for the sake of saving space/weight, I usually decant into plastics. There are a lot of great sources for smaller containers (sample pots, atomizers, etc.) online.

You can get those little Nalgene plastic bottles at most better sporting goods and outdoor stores, like Dick's, etc. Pretty reasonably priced too. I use them for camping all the time.

Only problem with the plastic ones is I've found sometimes with stronger aftershaves and colognes, the bottle sometimes retains a bit of the smell and its difficult to wash away.

Now that all liquids must be checked, I wouldn't use glass. Once those bags hit the conveyer belt, you never know how they are handled. Just watching the baggage guys load them into the plane from the window is enough to give me the shakes.

I don't travel much, but I sure wouldn't put glass in a suitcase.

Just one man's opinion.

castlecraver said:
Only problem with the plastic ones is I've found sometimes with stronger aftershaves and colognes, the bottle sometimes retains a bit of the smell and its difficult to wash away.

With plastic water bottles (the squeeze kind used for quenching exercise-induced thirst), I've filled them with a dilute bleach solution (1:20 or so) and left them soaking overnight. After rinsing very thoroughly with cold water, the plastic smell and taste are gone. Might be worth trying on those small plastic toiletry bottles if you're just going to pitch them anyway.

I won't use them for travel and have a prejudice against them in the bathroom/shower at home.

There are enough excellent products that come in plastic; glass makes little sense.

Traveling today by air, glass bottles will likely have to be in checked baggage; a cousin who is a baggage handler has described how checked luggage is handled. Don't put glass in it unless you get hard shelled luggage.

With the way the airport inspections are going, probablly need to stay with some kind of high impact plastic. Just my 2C . . .

Top Bottom