What's new

How pre-shave oils work

I have seen numerous questions about the effectiveness of pre-shave oil so I thought I would post this regarding the mechanism of a good pre-shave oil to clarify some things.

Here is why a good pre-shave oil reduces nicks and irritation:

The short answer: increasing skin suppleness and pliability

NOT by providing lubrication

The bottom line: Well-moisturized and supple skin does not cut or become irritated as easily as dry skin.

A pre-shave oil that PENETRATES the skin holds water in the skin and the skin is better moisturized and very supple. When a blade drags across the well moisturized skin, the skin "gives" to the blade and will bend or conform significantly to the shape of the blade BEFORE it will be torn or cut by the blade. This is the property of being supple. On the other hand, if the skin is dry it will not be very supple. When the blade drags across the skin the skin will not give or conform to the blade but will instead instantly tear and/or become irritated.

To further illustrate this consider your hands in the winter time. The skin is dry and so your fingers crack and cut easily because the skin is not supple. There are no cuts in the summer when the skin is well moisturized because the skin can bend with movement without breaking. Also, it is easier to break apart a dry carrot vs. a wet carrot or a dry branch vs. a wet branch etc. etc. A wet branch will bend SIGNIFICANTLY before it finally breaks, if it even breaks at all, whereas a dry branch will break instantly without bending.

This is why pre-shave oils work. Not so much because they add lubrication under the blade but more because they hold moisture in the skin allowing it to be as supple as possible under the blade. This is why many report a dramatic decrease in nicks after using a pre-shave oil. They also report softer skin after use because of this. Therefore, the best pre-shave oils are those that actually PENETRATE the skin and make it supple instead of oils that do not penetrate the skin. Oils that do not penetrate the skin would simply act to lubricate so the blade slides easier across the surface but would do nothing to increase the suppleness of the skin to reduce cuts. The lubrication is provided by water and lather from a soap or cream to decrease drag and blade "traction" into skin. The lather also adds a protective barrier between the skin and blade to keep the blade from touching the skin at all. Even if the blade does manage to contact the skin through a barrier and the skin is very supple it still won't cut easily.

In summary there are 3 strategic areas of attack to reduce shaving cuts and irritation:

1) Physical barrier between skin and blade (cushion): Lather OR non-absorbable pre-shave oil

2) Decreasing friction and blade traction (lubrication): WATER (most important) OR lather OR non-absorbable pre-shave oil

3) Increasing skin suppleness (moisturizing): WATER (again most important) + absorbable pre-shave oil

Notice above how important water is (this is called WET shaving). This is a quote from an article in Harvard Health Letters on keeping skin supple: "While the stratum corneum absorbs water nicely, it doesn't bind it very well, so some oily substance is needed to hold it in. Applying an oily substance to the skin without also resupplying it with water — either from the moisturizer or from another outside source like a bath — is ineffective." The pre-shave oil holds the water in the skin to make it supple. However, you MUST also supply your skin with water at the same time so the oil can hold it in or else the pre-shave oil will be innefective. Therefore, I find that applying a good pre-shave oil in the shower works best. The water supplies hydration for the oil and the steam opens up your pores and allows the oil to penetrate better. You could also achieve the same results by applying it under a hot towel. I have found Jojoba oil to work as good as anything as it is similar in structure to human sebum and readily penetrates the stratum corneum. By the time you get out of the shower and are ready to shave your skin is nice and supple and maximally resistant to cutting from the blade.

Application should go as follows:

1) First wet face and beard with warm water. This saturates the skin and opens pores allowing the oil to begin good absorption
2) Then rub in oil until completely absorbed
3) Last let shower or hot towel continue to steam and hydrate skin until it is supple and pliable
4) Lather/superlather up and shave as usual

Here are some oils that may absorb well into skin: (some may work better than others)

sunflower oil, jojoba oil, castor oil, almond oil, apricot kernel oil, avocado oil, canola oil, coconut oil, corn oil, grapeseed oil, hempseed oil, olive oil, shea butter, cocoa butter, many essential oils

Last edited:
Great informative post!

I have not tried pre-shave oil more than once myself, and I could not tell any difference (might be because I also used my new brush and Tabac for the first time), but sometime in the future I will definitively give it a go.

Great informative post!

I have not tried pre-shave oil more than once myself, and I could not tell any difference (might be because I also used my new brush and Tabac for the first time), but sometime in the future I will definitively give it a go.

Thanks.

Oddly enough the whole key to a pre-shave oil working properly is water and not the oil itself. To see any effect whatsoever you must supply water for the oil to hold in the skin, either shower or hot towel will do. Supple skin = smoother shaves, however this still doesn't replace the need for good lubrication and cushion. All 3 are important factors.

Excellent post, Augustiner! That explains why, when I use Shave Secret, my skin always feels so soft after my shave. Obviously, whatever oil is in Shave Secret is penetrating my skin (and why the instructions mention that you should wet your face and hands before applying it and if more lubrication is required, adding more WATER, not more oil, is recommended). Thanks for clearing up these questions for us all. Might I suggest that your post go into the Shave Wiki so all our present and future members can benefit from this info?

Does Proraso Pre/Post cream effectively provide this suppleness? I have seen mixed reviews but it seems to fit the profile of being absorbed by the skin more than others, say AOS pre shave oil.

I find Noxema in the shower to be a great pre-shave face wash. I see the ingredients after water and stearic acid are linseed oil and soybean oil - farther down there is eucalyptus oil as well. Theres a reason they call Noxema the poor man's proraso pre-post :thumbup1:

I find Noxema in the shower to be a great pre-shave face wash. I see the ingredients after water and stearic acid are linseed oil and soybean oil - farther down there is eucalyptus oil as well. Theres a reason they call Noxema the poor man's proraso pre-post :thumbup1:

So, my routine has been taking a shower and then getting out and apply Noxzema to my face and letting it set there while I load my brush and build my lather. Once that's done, I just lather over it and shave as usual, and it seems to help.

I'm just trying to figure out why that seems to work. Does it give extra lubrication? Does it make my skin more supple? What's going on?

Excellent post, Augustiner! That explains why, when I use Shave Secret, my skin always feels so soft after my shave. Obviously, whatever oil is in Shave Secret is penetrating my skin (and why the instructions mention that you should wet your face and hands before applying it and if more lubrication is required, adding more WATER, not more oil, is recommended). Thanks for clearing up these questions for us all. Might I suggest that your post go into the Shave Wiki so all our present and future members can benefit from this info?

Thanks, Wingnut. Yes, Shave Secret also works by this same mechanism. It makes the skin supple and pliable. It's an excellent product that I have also used with a LOT of success. You're correct...that's exactly why they instruct you to apply the oil with lots of water. In fact, here is the word for word description that I cut and pasted from the Shave Secret website. I have highlighted the part that pertains to the post.

"HERE'S THE SECRET: Shave Secret is a non foaming, highly absorbing, 100% natural blend of essential and base oils with a hint of menthol. Nothing artificial."

I think it would be fantastic if this post went into the Shave Wiki. The more people that benefit from the info the better.

Does Proraso Pre/Post cream effectively provide this suppleness? I have seen mixed reviews but it seems to fit the profile of being absorbed by the skin more than others, say AOS pre shave oil.

Yes, I believe Proraso Pre/Post also provides suppleness. Humectants are another group of ingredients that may also keep water in the skin to increase pliability. 2 of the first 4 ingredients of Proraso Pre/Post are humectants and therefore should work similar to a pre-shave oil. This product also contains Eucalyptus oil which may be an essential oil that readily penetrates the stratum corneum to hold the water in. Below I have listed two quotes from an article about keeping skin supple from the Harvard Health Letters which further describes the role of humectants in skin suppleness and pliability. I have highlighted the humectant ingredients in Proraso Pre/Post.

"Humectants pull water into the stratum corneum both from the air and from deeper layers of the skin. However, when the humidity is low, there's so little water in the air that almost all of the water comes from the inside out."

"Some of the commonly used humectants include glycerin, honey, panthenol (or vitamin B5, an example of a vitamin being used for its physical, not nutritional, properties), sorbitol (which we are used to seeing as an artificial sweetener) and urea."

Again, from this article notice that in order to get any effectiveness from a humectant you must add water. This is consistent with the Proraso Pre/Post instructions which say wet face first.

This is a good post. I came to the exact same conclusion myself, recently. This is why AOS pre-shave oil SUCKS. It's way too thick and doesn't absorb into the skin at all, so it provides no benefit to me. I tried olive oil and found it too thick as well. I tried pure coconut oil and that actually worked very well, because it absorbed into the skin and make it very soft and supple.

Just for clarification, are you saying that the oil should first be applied and then the hot water/towel applied? Even if you put the oil on before taking a shower, which would almost completely wash off the oil, does the effect remain?

Nice post. I just picked up a free sample from AOS today...comes with a pre-shave oil, shave cream and after shave (single use or close to it). Never really used a pre-shave oil before so maybe I'll try the whole kit and see how it does.

(It's a pretty decent sample kit for free. Was hoping for sandalwood but got unscented. Worth checking out if you have a store nearby).

Ben

This is a good post. I came to the exact same conclusion myself, recently. This is why AOS pre-shave oil SUCKS. It's way too thick and doesn't absorb into the skin at all, so it provides no benefit to me. I tried olive oil and found it too thick as well. I tried pure coconut oil and that actually worked very well, because it absorbed into the skin and make it very soft and supple.

Just for clarification, are you saying that the oil should first be applied and then the hot water/towel applied? Even if you put the oil on before taking a shower, which would almost completely wash off the oil, does the effect remain?

The order should go like this: First wet your face and beard then apply the oil by rubbing/massaging it in well until it is completely absorbed, don't just splash it on. Remember that we are talking about oils that absorb into the skin. If you are using an oil that gets completely absorbed you won't have to worry about it washing off because it's actually inside your skin, not just sitting on the surface. If you are using a hot towel over the oil I would still wet your face first then rub in the oil then apply the hot towel to fully hydrate your skin.

I will try and post a list of absorbable and non-absorbable oils.

Great info. here.

I have used PSOs for a while now and I stand by them! I have just recently switched to just olive oil and find that it is seriously great in reducing irritation and also helps my face feel more moisturized after the shave (I have very dry skin).

J.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, and great explanation of how this process can help. I tend to get really dry skin in the winter, so this will definitely be a more constant activity in my regimen. Props to Augustiner!!

Aaron

Top Bottom