What's new

How pre-shave oils work

Ok so I have read a ton of info on B&B and still feel like there is a ton more. Yes, I am a noob. Just got my 1962 Gillette Slim Adjustable in the mail yesterday (from Electronic Bay) and I have been investigating all week. I'm gonna clean it thoroughly and then try out the shave this weekend. I have never used a DE and so I'm trying to get as much info as possible before starting.

My question is this: Has anyone here used the Imperial Pre Shave oil? I saw some in a barber shop the other day and came back here to investigate, but so far haven't found anything. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

I'm going to bump this thread with another question

Part of the Village Barbers pitch for his pre shave oil is the sheer amount of different natural oils that are combined into his formula. I also remember a post made by OP about jojoba oil being beneficial for having properties similar to human skin. So if some oils are more absorbent than others why would a pre shave oil need many different ingredients? Wouldn't some of the ingredients become counterproductive?

I'm going to bump this thread with another question

Part of the Village Barbers pitch for his pre shave oil is the sheer amount of different natural oils that are combined into his formula. I also remember a post made by OP about jojoba oil being beneficial for having properties similar to human skin. So if some oils are more absorbent than others why would a pre shave oil need many different ingredients? Wouldn't some of the ingredients become counterproductive?

Well, yes, I suppose some oils could clash with other oils and that would be counterproductive. But I would hope the maker would test many combinations so that he/she finds a combination that improves the overall result over that of a single oil. Some guys just use olive oil and think it is fine. That doesn't work for me. There are a lot of different products out there, some with few ingredients, others with many. That gives you a lot of choice so you can find the products that work best for you.

Well, yes, I suppose some oils could clash with other oils and that would be counterproductive. But I would hope the maker would test many combinations so that he/she finds a combination that improves the overall result over that of a single oil. Some guys just use olive oil and think it is fine. That doesn't work for me. There are a lot of different products out there, some with few ingredients, others with many. That gives you a lot of choice so you can find the products that work best for you.

Thanks for the reply :) I guess I have no choice then but to add another AD to this wet shaving hobby

Top Bottom