What's new

How old old were you when you first shaved?

How old was I when I first shaved or how old was I when I tried shaving? :biggrin1: I always used to lather up my face with my Dad’s William’s mug soap and brush... and shave a spot here or there.

I was in the 8th grade when my basketball teammates pulled me into the boys locker room with a gillete sensor and some shaving gel, insisting I get rid of the “pathetic excuse for a moustache” I had going on my upper lip. I would have been about 12 or 13.

11th Birthday I received an old Norelco from my father. Conversation went something like this;
"Happy Birthday, boy."
"Thanks, Dad."
"Here, now go to the bathroom and make yourself look human."

I was 14 years old and my dad let me use his Gillette slim Twist. It's the first razor I ever used.

Being a teenager I had no particularly interest, devotion or skills in DE shaving so they quickly bought me a Mach 3.

I had no idea what had happened to the razor until dad gave it to me a couple of months ago. Great surprise!

I always feel kind of guilty when I use other razors. Feeling especially filthy and ungrateful today, as I just finished ordering a 1963 Gillette Flare Tip.

Living in a material(istic) world... A material..
Shame, Shame, shame!

When I was 15 my stepfather let me use his Schick tracer while awkwardley watching. I don't remember anything he said or the shave. I basically just did north to south 1 pass shaves until after the army, I read about wet shaving from an Art of Shaving book, aptly named the art of shaving. I then began using a Mach 3 that they recommended and a Mühle badger brush WTG and ATG. That book taught me a lot more than my stepdad did.

I'm guessing I was about 14. Dad has worn a beard my whole life, so he wasn't much help. Mom handed me an old beat up Remington that I think she occasionally used to shave her legs. I probably used it once or twice. Bought some disposable cartridges and a can of Gillette gel and figured the rest of it out on my own. Although the idea of multiple passes didn't occur to me. Sometimes I did WTG and sometimes I did ATG if I wanted to get closer. Always hated shaving and eventually grew a beard. That was when I started using my grandpa's straight razor (which I'd had for years) to edge the beard, because it was far easier to get a clean line and I saw no reason to fight with crappy electrics or cartridges. Once I decided to shave my beard, I realized how much I actually enjoy shaving with a straight and the rest is history.

Ironically, my son is now 15, and needs to shave every few days, and he is not at all interested in any advice I might have. He's using an electric that his mom gave him. Maybe some day he'll come around.

Does 4 years old with a plastic toy razor, a brush, and some cheap soap count? I remember I played Barber to my Pop that day too. He sure was tired after his day at work, and I kept him from his diner, but gawd I remember that experience all these years later. (Love ya Dad, miss you.)

Does 4 years old with a plastic toy razor, a brush, and some cheap soap count? I remember I played Barber to my Pop that day too. He sure was tired after his day at work, and I kept him from his diner, but gawd I remember that experience all these years later. (Love ya Dad, miss you.)
Awesome!

My first shave was at 14, but I didn't start shaving regularly until 15. I went through all the standard Gillette cartridge razors for a long time, with my first being a Sensor IIRC. I ALWAYS hated shaving, back then.

Then somewhere around my early twenties I switched from canned gel to a brush (wilkinson Sword) and soap (Van der Hagen) and it was SO MUCH BETTER. I still didn't enjoy shaving, but at least I didn't hate it anymore.

A year or so later I bit the bullet and ordered a Weishi and a blade sampler, and that's when I actually started to enjoy shaving.

Sometimes I catch myself being tempted to claim it's less expensive than cartridge shaving, but then I remember I bought THREE machined stainless steel razors, several brushes over the years, etc etc, and I choose not to lie, lol.

Top Bottom