What's new

How old is your oldest disposable razor?

How old?

• Less than a year

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will track down and quote @huck1995’s remarkable tale. My oldest disposables are branded ‘Old Spice’, live in a ziplock bag that constitutes one of my travel toiletries kits, and are at least ten years old. Not exactly BBS, but still socially acceptable....

B32352BB-972F-4D00-8EBE-5BA69BF6A937.jpeg

Then probably my senior year of high school, I was fed up with the Gillette and bought myself a 12 pack of Wilkinson Sword disposable razors for about $9 or $10. The difference between the Gillette Fusion and the Wilkinson Sword disposables was night and day, and not in the way you'd probably expect. The Wilkinson's cut down my irritation by at least 50% from day 1! Not to mention the fact that I only had to do a with the grain and against the grain to get pretty darn smooth, as opposed to my customary 5-8 passes (in seemingly every direction) with the Fusion! Furthermore, for whatever reason, whereas I could feel the Fusion cartridges dulling after a few weeks or a month of shaving, and then powering through a few more months of less than comfortable shaves, I felt that the Wilkinson disposables stayed moderately sharp for ages. I would occasionally "strop" them by sliding them the opposite direction on my forearm maybe every other shave, and I did actually strop them on a belt about once a month, which I know is crazy to do with a $0.07 disposable, but what can I say, I was (and still am) a poor student. In any case, once I went 13 months on one disposable Wilkinson Sword razor just to say I did, and to be honest I could've gone longer but I figured there was no point. Well, here we are, I think about 7 years since the switch to the Fusion to the Wilkinsons, and I think I've still got 2 of the original 12 pack I initially bought left.

Thirteen months on one disposable!

Do you think there will be any other entries? I’ll ship your prize when you’re back in the CONUS. Meanwhile, you still have two Wilkinsons and could be readying a new world record attempt!

I feel like people probably have "older" disposables (in terms of vintage ones perhaps that have been shaved with only a handful of times), but I doubt that there are many that have seen more everyday use than that one.
Just joking about the prize of course! And while I would love to use one of those disposables to see how long I can go with it (because I still feel I could've gone longer with the 13 month old one), I've caught the DE bug and I doubt that I'll go back. :001_302:

I travel a lot by plane for work and never check bags so I always have a few around usually Gillete Blue II or Bic Metals, they give me a great BBS shave but at almost double the time I need with my DE (I usually do a four pass DE shave in 5 minutes but I need at least 8 minutes with any modern cartridge or disposable razor since they need constant rinsing otherwise they clog)

I usually buy them at clearance prices once a year so mine must be one year old.

All my disposable razors are left in the hotel bathrooms once I check out so I don't have any used ones.

I have a Gillette Fusion with a set of cartridges in the back of the cupboard, must be there since around 2011, so 9 years almost to the day when I got into proper shaving.

Does it have to be a used disposable razor?

I would like to hear from any collectors of disposables. And from any pack rats who just stumble across petrified bags of disposables. I suppose there might be NOS disposables in dusty corners of long abandoned warehouses?

All mine are used, though.

Top Bottom