What's new

How often to hone for someone that rarely shaves?

Hello everyone. I am brand new to the world of SR shaving. I have been using disposable cartridges all my life and after reading some Art of Manliness articles, I think the choice is clear to make the switch over to SR shaving. With that said, I am completely new to this type of shaving and have not yet bought any materials as I want to make sure I am confident before I make the buy. I am someone that is not an everyday/every other day shaver. I like growing out a nice beard, and often I will shave once every 30-60 days. I usually do not shave any less than 10 days after a shave. So, if I were to make the switch to a SR, I would on average shave roughly 10-15 times a year.

For someone that is not an everyday shaver, and for someone that only shaves 1-2 times a month, how often would you recommend honing the blade?

My guess is that you might make it through the whole year on just strops. It seemed like I would get a couple of weeks out of an edge when I started, now I get 50-100 shaves out of an edge. The fact that you shave infrequently may work against you a bit as good technique is what makes an edge last. On the up side, a straight is perfect for your shaving habits because hair length is immaterial. There is nothing to clog!

If you only need a hone once a year you may be best served by sending it out when needed, as honing skills are best practiced more often IMO.

Depending on the blade/hardness of steel. I shave every 4 or 5 days, and my two main razors went years without any touch ups... just recently touched one up. The other still doesnt quite need it, and its been at least 3 years.

And honing for you may just mean 15 passes on a 10 or 12K to bring the edge back to happy.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
TheStrenuousLife is spot on above. If you are only using your straight razor about once a month AND your razor's edge is in top condition now (for you) AND your stropping technique is correct, just have the razor professionally honed once every 5 to 10 years or so.

TheStrenuousLife is spot on above. If you are only using your straight razor about once a month AND your razor's edge is in top condition now (for you) AND your stropping technique is correct, just have the razor professionally honed once every 5 to 10 years or so.

This. Some folks in this forum went 100+ shaves with the same edge.

Legion

Staff member
If you are shaving a month old beard the edge will get more beat up than a day old beard. I’ve shaved a full beard, and then needed to hone the edge a bit to put it right. A stropping was not enough.

Top Bottom