What's new

How often to change foils and cutters on Braun shavers?

I got some foils and cutters for my Braun PocketGo from China. They aren't exactly the same in appearance, I suspect the foils are a slightly newer revision. However, they do seem to be compatible.

Any tips on knowing when it is time to change the shaver's foils or cutters? Braun seems to suggest changing both at once, but I know from having a Remington in the past, that you don't necessarily have to. Typically the cutters will last alot longer.

Also, I'm thinking about getting a plug-in Series 1 with the same style of foil. Do they run any faster than the battery-operated models, or are they about the same?

The newer and regular sized Brauns use a "cassette," so cutters and foils are both changed at the same time. On my Series 9 a cartridge lasts a year or more, but the shaver gives you an annual reminder. How often you change depends on your beard, whether you shave wet or dry, your shaver care, and technique (how hard you press). Foils may need changing more frequently (maybe a few months to annually or longer) than most cutters (sometimes a couple of years), although it's generally best to replace them both for optimum performance. When to change depends largely on the quality of the shave - basically the same criteria you might use with a DE blade. When you no longer get a comfortable, close shave, time to change. A good link below:

How Often To Change Blades And Foils

I could usually tell it was time, and it was usually every couple years, two, maybe three. But I was frugal enough with them (at $40 a piece) that I would stretch that out as long as possible. (Now I wet shave so? 🤷‍♂️ ) I think reasonably every 1-2 years depending on how comfortable your shave is at the 1 year mark.

The newer and regular sized Brauns use a "cassette," so cutters and foils are both changed at the same time. On my Series 9 a cartridge lasts a year or more, but the shaver gives you an annual reminder. How often you change depends on your beard, whether you shave wet or dry, your shaver care, and technique (how hard you press). Foils may need changing more frequently (maybe a few months to annually or longer) than most cutters (sometimes a couple of years), although it's generally best to replace them both for optimum performance. When to change depends largely on the quality of the shave - basically the same criteria you might use with a DE blade. When you no longer get a comfortable, close shave, time to change. A good link below:

How Often To Change Blades And Foils

How does wet shaving impact foil life?

Braun still makes some single foil shavers. Besides the PocketGo, there's also the Series 1.

I believe Braun says to replace the cassette every 1.5 years. Some of the nicer ones have an indicator light that tells you when its time to replace the cassette.

How does wet shaving impact foil life?

Braun still makes some single foil shavers. Besides the PocketGo, there's also the Series 1.

Wet shaving provides lubrication to the moving cutters (and your face) hence less wear. The practical difference is probably small, but again, it depends. If you lubricate and clean your razor regularly, you'll get maximum service life. Braun does make single foil shavers (their MobileShave) as do others currently, but the Series 1 is no longer in their lineup (although still widely available) at least in the US, so new shavers from the Series 3 and up will have a cassette - more convenient, but more expensive and likely more profitable for Braun.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link to the website, that looks like a useful resource with alot of good information.

I do wonder about the performance differences. In the past, I found the PocketGo to be more aggressive than some of the other, more expensive Braun shavers, and capable of delivering a closer shave- with more effort, of course. My dad gave me a hand-me-down rechargeable Braun from the late 90's years ago, and I used that for some time, and aside from the fact it was very comfortable to use and it had better coverage due to the slotted element (better at trimming flat-lying hairs), it wasn't a particularly close shave as compared to the simple singe-foil design of ther Braun pocket shaver.

Thanks for the link to the website, that looks like a useful resource with alot of good information.

I do wonder about the performance differences. In the past, I found the PocketGo to be more aggressive than some of the other, more expensive Braun shavers, and capable of delivering a closer shave- with more effort, of course. My dad gave me a hand-me-down rechargeable Braun from the late 90's years ago, and I used that for some time, and aside from the fact it was very comfortable to use and it had better coverage due to the slotted element (better at trimming flat-lying hairs), it wasn't a particularly close shave as compared to the simple singe-foil design of ther Braun pocket shaver.
Regardless of Braun’s recommendation to change the cutters/screen I have always gone by the quality of the shave. My previous Panasonic ES8103 foil shaver went five years on the original cutters and screens. Rather then replace them I bought a new Braun shaver.

Regardless of Braun’s recommendation to change the cutters/screen I have always gone by the quality of the shave. My previous Panasonic ES8103 foil shaver went five years on the original cutters and screens. Rather then replace them I bought a new Braun shaver.

I have an old Panasonic shaver that has enough juice to do two shaves or so before recharging. The blades and foils still seem to be fine. I suppose I should probably replace the battery and I could get alot more life out of it, but my soldering skills aren't so good.

Out of curiosity I changed the foil on my Braun Pocket recently for one I ordered straight from China for about 2 bucks, wanting to see if it would improve the shave any, and it really didn't. So I guess the old foil was fine. I've used it off and on for years.

Out of curiosity I changed the foil on my Braun Pocket recently for one I ordered straight from China for about 2 bucks, wanting to see if it would improve the shave any, and it really didn't. So I guess the old foil was fine. I've used it off and on for years.
You may want to change the cutters on the Braun Pocket. I’ve found that as long as the screens are not torn or developed a hole they will work for a very long time. Like any blade, the cutters get dull over time and replacing them will do much to improving your shave.

Top Bottom