What's new

How often is too much!?!

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Translation from metric to ‘Merican… a millimetre is like an inch, but a lot smaller.

I hope that helps. 🤪
Don't you Kanadians use metric? What do the English use? I know that I'd be robbed blind by their money system. Farthings, Shillings, Pounds.... WAY to confusing for a simple boy like me, a product of the glorified babysitting I got in the Michtigen Publik Skool System... The teachers should have been able to beat kids when they entered the Skool House back in the 60's and 70's.

If I'd have had to teach kids like me I'd have joined the circus, and I am literally scared to death of clowns.

Don't you Kanadians use metric? What do the English use? I know that I'd be robbed blind by their money system. Farthings, Shillings, Pounds.... WAY to confusing for a simple boy like me, a product of the glorified babysitting I got in the Michtigen Publik Skool System... The teachers should have been able to beat kids when they entered the Skool House back in the 60's and 70's.

If I'd have had to teach kids like me I'd have joined the circus, and I am literally scared to death of clowns.
Canada has for almost 50 years. I think everyone uses metric except for youse guys!

I still use lbs, feet and inches for my height and weight and Fahrenheit for temps except when it is -0C or lower. I’m a weirdo!

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Don't you Kanadians use metric? What do the English use? I know that I'd be robbed blind by their money system. Farthings, Shillings, Pounds.... WAY to confusing for a simple boy like me, ....
Pounds, shillings and pence was easy. Twelve pennies made a shilling, twenty shillings made a pound and twenty-one shillings made a guinea. By the end of primary school, most could add, subtract, multiply and divide £/s/d. Made it much easier to learn to work in different numeric bases later.

What gets me is that soon after the American revolutionary war, to try and cut ties with the UK, the US changed to the decimal currency system (similar to the French) but kept the English Imperial units of measurement 🤔.

When my first Bengall SR was new, three sold for £2/15/6. Divide that by 3 to work out the unit price 😁.

My father was a solicitor. He charged clients in guineas. His clerk kept the extra shilling as his salary.

Last edited:
I can’t skip a day without looking pretty scruffy. If working, I shave daily. At deer camp, I’ll go the whole time without. I never worried about razor aggressiveness. I use what I feel like using. Red tips are fine for a daily driver as will any mild razors. Blades are subjective, but Astra SP are my favorite. They last a long time for me. I can usually get a week out of them easily.

Edit: I am embarrassed that Americans cannot switch to the metric system……

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I can’t skip a day without looking pretty scruffy. If working, I shave daily. At deer camp, I’ll go the whole time without. I never worried about razor aggressiveness. I use what I feel like using. Red tips are fine for a daily driver as will any mild razors. Blades are subjective, but Astra SP are my favorite. They last a long time for me. I can usually get a week out of them easily.

I had to learn it in nursing skool. After I started USING it, it made perfect sense to me. And memorizing easy conversions has made me THINK in it, even though I'm retired. 30mL is one ounce, etc.... Pounds to kilograms...with usage it just becomes second nature. It's very sad that my generation wasn't forced to be the generation that converted. Once a person is driving a car I imagine you would learn the metric system pretty quickly after you got a speeding ticket!

Ratso

Mr. Obvious

Now wait just a minute. Us Americans show our versatility by adapting to multiple standards of measurement. Metric tools for my cars. Standard for my Harleys. Don’t forget torx fasteners with yet another standard of measurement. Then I go shopping and put a 30 pack of 12oz cans of Busch Light next to a 2 liter bottle of Coke in my shopping cart. At the cocktail hour I pour a 1.5 oz shot from a 750 ml bottle of vodka. Thankfully we no longer develop 35mm film into 5”X7” prints.
Bhugo, I think I just agreed with you without realizing it.😄

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
This whole thread needs to be converted to American language, doggone!

Millimeters? Millimetres? My head is spinning!
When you do math by counting on your fingers and toes, metric makes perfect sense. Guess that’s why it is so popular in Europe and such.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I was talking to a contractor once, and I told him how I start really getting confused, once were down in the 32n's of fractional measurements. He told me, its easier to just point, and say, its right there, and make a mark. His wisdom made sense, and let my poor bleeding brain off the hook, from overthinking it lol.

Now wait just a minute. Us Americans show our versatility by adapting to multiple standards of measurement. Metric tools for my cars. Standard for my Harleys. Don’t forget torx fasteners with yet another standard of measurement. Then I go shopping and put a 30 pack of 12oz cans of Busch Light next to a 2 liter bottle of Coke in my shopping cart. At the cocktail hour I pour a 1.5 oz shot from a 750 ml bottle of vodka. Thankfully we no longer develop 35mm film into 5”X7” prints.
Bhugo, I think I just agreed with you without realizing it.😄
There are still those of us who like film photography. I have two 35mm SLR cameras in addition to my digital SLR. Anyway, digital photos can be printed as 4" x 6", 4" x 5", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", etc.

Or don't you like prints?

Pounds, shillings and pence was easy. Twelve pennies made a shilling, twenty shillings made a pound and twenty-one shillings made a guinea. By the end of primary school, most could add, subtract, multiply and divide £/s/d. Made it much easier to learn to work in different numeric bases later.

What gets me is that soon after the American revolutionary war, to try and cut ties with the UK, the US changed to the decimal currency system (similar to the French) but kept the English Imperial units of measurement 🤔.

When my first Bengall SR was new, three sold for £2/15/6. Divide that by 3 to work out the unit price 😁.

My father was a solicitor. He charged clients in guineas. His clerk kept the extra shilling as his salary.
Hasn't England gone back to decimal fractions of a pound?

If you get pleasure from, & enjoy your shave every other day, I suggest try shaving every day & gauge the results. Pleasure? Enjoyment? No irritation? 2 of the 3? Then shave every day.

I don't see myself as presentable at work unless I shave every day. My beard growth is on a 24 hour cycle where it's visible by the following night (I only shave at night). I get no irritation with the daily shaves probably due to the fact that I'm used to it. I can do weekends off if I'm staying home but still will shave on those days because I enjoy it. I look forward to shaving everyday!

When I was working for 43 years, it was pretty much everyday with a Schick cartridge razor followed by either Mennen Skin bracer aftershave or Afta aftershave by Mennen.

Screenshot_20220417-112021_Samsung Internet.jpg

I am a 6-7 days a week shaver, and a metric bloke:)

How many yards will a stone (1 stone unit of mass) travel if you hit it with one foot or toe?

Ratso

Mr. Obvious
There are still those of us who like film photography. I have two 35mm SLR cameras in addition to my digital SLR. Anyway, digital photos can be printed as 4" x 6", 4" x 5", 5" x 7", 8" x 10", etc.

Or don't you like prints?
I do like prints and have them made of the photos I choose, but not from 35mm film. I was just pointing out how we mix measurement standards. With digital photography I can preview the photo and only pay for the ones I like. I wasn’t nocking 35mm film. I fell down that rabbit hole in the 70s. With the older technology you had to know photography. Now, in addition, you have to be a computer programmer for the digital cameras or just rely on your smart phone which behaves like a Kodak Instamatic.

I normally shave every day, and I have occasionally shaved twice in a day.

"A missed shave is a shave that you can never get back"

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I’m a daily SR shaver. I often only do a single pass, which allows for the occasional evening shave. I mostly just shave once in the morning, that’s usually enough.

Top Bottom