What's new

how often does your sink clog?

A sodium hydroxide (lye) crystal drain opener is better than anything else, in my experience. I was introduced to Thrift by a plumber and haven't needed to call him since.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don’t think hair is the problem for me — a day or two of stubble is all that is in there. Usually when the plumber comes he isn’t able to bring up much other than bits of black gunk, which I assume is build up of a combination of soap and mold. Then when he runs the snake, things open up.

I am concerned about things like draino because of environmental impact and potential damage to the pipes. Every plumber I have had come in has recommended strongly against using such products because they say it damages the plumbing.

If it's an older home, it could be several things. I raised 6 children in an older home before selling it after they all were grown and gone, so I have a bit of experience with drains and plumbing.

1. Are there any females, using the same bathroom?

2. If there are, do they comb or brush their hair over the sink?

3. Many older homes in older neighborhoods, the plumbing structures could be a 2"-4"-6" instead of a 3"-6"-9". So the drain pipes from your sink to your underground plumbing is only 2" diameter. The underground could going out to the cities main might only be 4" and if it's older city plumbing structure, the cities main running underneath your neighborhood street, could only be 6" in diameter. More modern plumbing is 3-6-9.

4. some older home plumbing also use an S-trap over a P-trap. An S-trap holds so much water that the water and solids coming into the trap will not be pulled directly through, which can allow for the accumulation of solids in the bottom of the trap. This makes s-traps more prone to, while appearing to be clogged, it just never really drains thoroughly enough to push waste and debris thru. Especially in older homes with older plumbing and weaker pressures. So add a few head of hairs and the smega mixture of a good, fatty shave lather with some whiskers? It can and will come back up because it can't get past all the water in the s-trap.

5. Lets only hope it isn't a Drum Trap. Drum Traps have alot in common with s-traps by having to much water sitting in the trap in order to push thru more semi solid wastes. Drum traps are also impossible to snake, unless the cover to the trap is exposed and removed, which generally means tearing into the wall behind the sink.

If I had to tear into a wall to remove the cover on a drum trap, I would just remove the trap instead.

I'm not a plumber, my laymans knowledge comes directly from spending many years, keeping the wife and daughters from brushing their hair over the sinks, making sure female teenagers aren't flushing feminine products and reminding teenage boys to dump, then flush, then wipe, then flush again. :)

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
I have never used Draino or Liquid Plumber.

Over 10 years ago I switched to wetshaving and never had a clog. Every 6-8 weeks, when I cleaned my Cuisinart coffee pot with 2/3 vinegar and 1/3 water, I would put baking soda down the drains, and overflow holes, and pour the hot vinegar/water from the coffee pot down each drain and overflow. Before my youngest moved out, a Zip-it was also my friend. Her hair always clogged up sink and bath drains. When she got married, I even gave her husband a Zip-It.

When I moved into that 1960's house with well water 18 years ago, both bathroom drains ran slow. I replaced the drains and elbows under the sink, but they still ran slow. For me, the problem was clogged overflow holes. It must have taken an hour to clear each overflow with vinegar and baking soda until they ran free. Both drains ran fine after that. If that doesn't help, and the clog's in the wall, than it's plumber time.

A couple months ago, we sold the house and are now in an apartment with soft water. I still use the hot vinegar/water and baking soda in drains and overflow. Why waste a hot pot of vinegar?

Been in my house 20+ years. I have only had issues while my daughters were still living there, lots of hair in the drains. I've probably cleaned the drains a couple times since the last one left about 10 years ago. I just use baking soda and vinegar when it starts to act up (with the girls gone no need to snake for hair).

^^^ What these guys said. I usually use baking soda and vinegar. Then flush the drain with hot tap water; I've never used boiling water.

Taking the trap out and cleaning it manually every once in awhile can help also. Easy to do.

When I was a kid Dad showed me how to put a little vinegar in the bottom of a glass pop bottle, wrap some baking soda in a piece of tissue paper and twist the ends, then drop the baking soda in the bottle and put a cork in the top. In a few seconds the pressure would blow the cork out. Good times. :biggrin1:

I have not had any problems that a Zip-It did not fix, but I think the vinegar and baking soda approach is good. I have read that pouring a cola, something with phosphoric acid and letting it sit in the drains can be a preventative approach, but I have not tried it and it might be too dilute to have much effect.

If you did not see this thread, you might find it interesting:

Got a picture of that pop up with serve?

Not sure if this was the one I saw but it's something like this.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I try to do a full sink rinse at least one a week, which helps keep the pipes flushed. I do have long hair, and have a pair of pliers for keening the plughole clear of hairs that have looped over the drain. Maybe once or twice a year, I need to put something else down to shift something more stubborn than a hot water rinse will shift. I usually start with baking powder and vinegar, and have had to go for a chemical drain cleaner maybe four times in the last seven years.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Hard water leads to a lot more clogs than soft water.

Getting a water softener for our home was one of the best things we've ever done. It seemed expensive at the time, but it's saved us a bundle by extending the lives of our appliances and clothing as well as avoiding plumbing issues (not the least of which are clogged drains). It also just happens to feel nice.

In 21 years, the toughest maintenance we've had to do on the thing is fill the salt bin, and that's only every several months or so. If I ever let the salt get very low, I might take the opportunity to rinse out that bin. That's about all there's been to it.

Top Bottom