What's new

How Often Do You Shave?

Two pass plus clean up almost every day. Thinking about doing a morning and evening one pass for a while, keep the stubble at bay without the elaboration of my current shaves.

Every day. I learned this from my dad, who shaved every day. It's my way to find my center for the day. Even when I had a beard (which was many years ago), I still shaved around it every day.

The morning and evening one pass shave idea is working for me. Just two days, four simple shaves so far. I know I will miss my more luxurious shaves soon.

If I was limited in time for my shaving, two passes 14 to 16 hours apart discipline would get my on my way very quickly in the mornings. The morning shave is only 8 or 9 hours after the previous shave, so it is plenty close.

Eben Stone

Staff member
Everyday. If I had to go to some formal event in the evening then I would probably shave again. And in the unfortunate event that some emergency happens and I miss a day then I will end up paying for it later. If I miss a day the next shave is a very uncomfortable experience. With an R41 and new Feather I have to tug the razor all the way through every stroke of the first pass for the blade to cut and I will end up with 20-30 little weepers (sometimes more, like one per whisker). I can do a little better with a Mach3 in this scenario but after that shave the blade is trash and overall it's still not a pleasant experience.

I was trying to take a scientific approach to my shaving and only change one thing each shave. Turns out I've been using too steep of an angle (riding the comb) and this has caused me some major problems with the R41 and some blades, specially the Feather.

I started riding the cap and I now have no problem shaving 48 hour whiskers with a new Feather blade.

Unfortunately this means the ratings I've given to all my prior shaves are pretty much useless.

I'm not sure if I should be disappointed or glad to start my research all over again. I feel like I have too many blades and too little time.

I shave every other day or every third day because it provides the best and most complete experience.
Same here. Sometimes I almost wish my whiskers grew faster!

That said, I will switch to a 24-hour or 36-hour beard shave if I feel like it, or if I want to arrange that I have a 48-hour beard for a good shave before something important. Today was 24 hours. I will probably do another simple 1-2 pass shave tomorrow, Thursday, and let my beard go until Saturday morning, then shave before I run out for my haircut and beard trim.

Daily. I shower every morning and shave afterwards. I am pretty much sticking with 2 passes, XTG one way then XTG the other direction. About once a week I will add an ATG but I usually regret it. Still working on my technique.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have a fairly heavy, albeit aging, beard. I am more comfortable shaving every day. Since it is pleasant and does not take long I have shaved daily, except for backpacking and sailing trips, every day since I began in the mid-1960s.

Almost daily, say, 6 out of 7 days.

Now, too good a shaving will demand a 24 hour long rest between shavings - which I think is the case after today's shaving.

I plan on every 48 hours, with a 24-hour shave on Sunday to keep the routine within 7 days. However, if I decide my face or throat are too bristly, or if I have a new soap or cream, or a new razor . . .

Top Bottom