What's new

How often do you shave with your straight razor?

I shave every day, I'm very new to this too. It seems I'm developing 2 kinds of SR shave: the "quick one" with just WTG and across the grain, that gives me a shave that is at the very least as good as what I get with the DE. If I have a bit more time, or it is one of my 'good combo' razor/soap, I do a full mega 4 passes, against the grain, under the nose etc etc, plus touchups and so on. THAT shave lasts me 2 days, so I might skip the following day -- I'll still look fine the following day!

Since I've picked up SR shaving, I used my DE perhaps twice or 3 times tops.

Legion

Staff member
I’m not in a situation where I need to shave every day anymore. Every two or three days. Sometimes I might go a week without shaving. You guys that think you have your honing down, wipe off a week old beard and use that as your metric.

Depends on the the time of year since I favor a beard during the winter months. During the summer months, I am clean shaven and a daily SR shaver. I also enjoy my DE benders from time to time. Happy shaves.

Straights are the only way I can shave without loads of irritation.
If I shave these days, it is a straight.
Most days, I try for every day but some days life just gets in the way.
I generally shave in the evening, and there are days when I'm too smashed from work or I have a difficult night with bub and I just don't feel like it by the time I get a chance...mornings I usually just don't have the time.

The more I do, the less irritation I get and the less likely I am to cut myself... when I tried DE I got ten times as many cuts as I do with a straight.
Generally, I will only ever nick myself when I'm practising with my left hand on a tricky spot...and rarely then.

I shave every day, and I've never had any issues with irritation. I've been using a DE safety razor for about a year now, and I recently decided to try out a straight razor. So far, I'm really enjoying the straight razor shaving experience. I think it gives a much closer shave than the DE safety razor. As far as how often you should shave, it really depends on your individual skin type. Some people can shave daily without any issues, while others may need to take a day or two break in between shaves. If you're prone to skin irritation, you might want to start by shaving every other day and see how your skin responds.

I have an office job but at least half the time I'm on the factory floor so there's no need for me to be clean shaven. When I used DE's I would shave every other day - any more frequently than that and the irritation on my neck would get out of hand.

Ever since I started using straights I try to shave every day, but sometimes have to skip a day because I can feel some irritation starting. Could be from a substandard edge or substandard technique. Something I recently started doing is if I notice my edge is a little harsh I'll only do 2 passes rather than 3. That lets me shave again the next day without irritation.

I shave 5-6 times per week, almost always with a straight. Usually 2 passes, frequently 3, and very rarely 1. I keep the spine flat, just off the skin but still wiping lather/whiskers away. I can get away with a steep angle on the chin only.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Sometimes I go all week without shaving. Old retired guys can do that if they want to or if they are just busy or lazy. I CAN shave every day. Irritation? Never. Not with a Method edge. Then again, I only do one pass, but to be fair that is all I need with my edges.

Basically you shave with the flattest, most acute angle with the skin that you can where you still remove the lather with the edge. This is generally about ½ to 1 spine thickness off the skin, not that 30° thing stated in many videos.

Remember, with angle and pressurere try to just remove the lather, not cut whiskers. The whiskers will come away automatically with the lather. BBS will come to you the less you try to achieve it.

It is my 1,000th daily SR shave today and I have problems not getting BBS. I don't want BBS as I then have nothing to shave 24 hours later.
Congratulations on your 1000th shave! May you have many more.

Daily.
Really doesn't matter though, everyone should just do what they want, for whatever reasons they want. Everyone is different, there are no set standards that apply to everyone all the time.

Pretty much daily. If I truly only have 5 minutes to shave, it will not be an SR shave. Irritation is not a problem with my SRs, and only a very infrequent issue with my other razor formats.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Every day, even the DE blade shavette gives me an irritation free shave.

I use straight on my face and shaved head with DE razor.

Top Bottom