What's new

How often do you shave with a DE Razor?

I am restarting safety razor shaving with:
1. Parker Variant,​
2. Merkur 38C, and​
3. Rockwell 2C​
razors.
I have been shaving every other day with a Gillette Sensor. However, I enjoy shaving so much with the Parker Variant that I want to shave every day. I love this BBS. However, I've read somewhere that daily shaving is too often -- it's rough on the skin and the face needs time to recover between shaves.
For now, I shave every 36 hours (1 1/2 days).
So, how often do you shave with a DE safety razor? I am only interested in full facial shaves.
By the way, I tried submitting this as a poll but got stuck on the format for "possible responses."

I shave daily. It can be rough on the skin if your gear and your technique are not suitable for daily use given your skin and beard types. I use a mild and efficient razor with a blade that works well with it. I don't use a lot of pressure on the brush and I build a lather that is thinner and slicker than what I was used to when I was starting out. I also pay more attention to post shave these days.

I used to shave every day for work, initially with cartridge razors and then migrating more toward DE's. Now that I am retired I usually shave every two days mostly with DE's, sometimes SE's and occasionally Shavettes. Sometimes I get in the mood to shave every day but I usually use a milder DE then. When I shave every 2nd day I can use more aggressive razors and still get comfortable, smooth shaves.

The only time I go for 4 is if realize halfway through that I should have put in a new blade. I'm an evening shower & shaver. Working in a hospital clinic, I've never quite felt comfortable just dropping into bed after my workday!😄
The only time I do a four-pass shave is when I'm using a razor that is too mild for my tough beard, such as a Gillette Tech or a Shick Injector Type L.

However, I've read somewhere that daily shaving is too often -- it's rough on the skin and the face needs time to recover between shaves...
For some it is a problem but many shave daily without problems. Aim for a close comfortable shave and the shave will improve as you gain good technique and preparation. Have a look at the Shave Wiki here; ShaveWiki | Badger & Blade
I do a daily 4 pass shave without issue and finish with a moisturiser to keep the skin supple. The Merkur Progress is one of my favourite razors of which the Parker Variant is a copy.
This question keeps coming up in threads, here;
How often do you all shave? and
Do you shave everyday?

Last edited:

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I've read somewhere that daily shaving is too often
You can read every opinion and viewpoint under the sun in books or on the Internet. What you read may have been true for whoever wrote it, is true for some others, and it may or may not be true for you. This great hobby is about finding out what works for you, it matters not what anyone else thinks or does. My advice is to try whatever you want, and then keep on doing whatever you like or that works for you. Or, you can ignore my advice and do something else 🤣

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I DE shave 2 or 3 times a year, whenever I can build up the courage.

Other than my DE shaves. I shave daily (or more often, given any reason) with a SR. Always three passes; WTG, XTG+fool's pass, and XTG in the opposite direction. This gives me what I want, a DFS+ result.

I de shave about 360 days a year and have done for over 40 years without any irritation issues whatsoever. Having been a keen outdoor sportsman in my younger days I have lots of sun damage to my skin on various parts of my body, but my face has remained unaffected. I've always attributed this to the exfoliation from my daily wet shave.

As others have said, you've got to find what works best for you. Every other day is my sweet spot. I usually skip weekends unless I am going somewhere that I should be clean shaven, i.e. a nice restaurant. So my shave schedule is Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
Every other day here too. Sometimes I go longer between shaves when I feel like being scruffy. But my normal routine is 3 or 4 days a week.

For me it's every couple of days. I don't work in an office setting anymore, but if I did I would likely shave daily and I don't think that I would have an issue with it. However, if I were to move to a daily shave, I would also likely move to fewer passes, a shorter routine, and seek DFS and not BBS.

Top Bottom