What's new

How often do you shave with a DE Razor?

Daily if at all possible. 48 hours makes for an uncomfortable shave. 36 hours is doable, but is borderline on the comfort level.
Funnily enough, it is the other way around in my case. I get a comfortable shave from 60 hours stubble onwards.
The upper limit seems to be 96 hours.

I use a DE almost always covering my 5/week cadence.
These days that amounts to a single, ATG pass acting as a touch-up to my SR shaves.

I have essentially tripled (at least) the longevity of my blade cache...

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Every other day for me, so 3-4 times per week. I will shave a day early for an event, but then skip the next day and get back on schedule. Being retired, my schedule varies, so, “every other day” can be between 36-48 hours.

I’m thinking about going to a two on-one off schedule since it was typically the third consecutive shave that was rough. Anyone tried this?

Happy scraping!

I would say about 3 times a week with a DE razor, i also shave electric (Philips Norelco old shaver "lift and cut" or Braun series 1(a one foil shaver) or a Kemei Tx-1 (two foils, not so bad at all).
I also use a few cartridge razors (about once a week: Gillette Mach 3 Turbo, Wilkinson Sword Hydro 4 or a Gillette Sensor Excel, or an Aldi Man 2 blade plastic razor). $
All these cartridge razors work well although the best shaves for me are the DE razor shaves and specifically the ones with my Fatip Piccolo or Rockwell 6C (plate 4) or Razorock German 37 slant or GIllette Aristocrat ( #58) or Gillette Slim (setting 5).

I have too many good razors, my Yaqi Mellon SLOC and Yaqi Mercury work fantasticly well too :c18:.

I also have the 2 straight razors from both my granddads: both Solingen razors, but i should sharpen these first and hone, but i dont own a good strop, i do have a Belgian coticule stone from my dads dad!

I should definitely try to get these two granddad razors to use (one granddad was a WW2 soldier and the other was a farmer, both were real heroes!!!).

I am sure a lot of you also have fantastic grandparents!!

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Things have so radically changed for me because of an ever-tightening schedule. I now shave twice a week with one of those being a three-pass shave and the other being a simple one-pass shave. In any case, I'm well-equipped for any combination to work well now...thanks to B&B!

I shave 3 times a week. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. When I got my first DE razor I tried to shave every day, I was just too excited about the experience. I realized quickly that my beard growth is not quick enough to sustain a daily shaving schedule nor did my skin particular enjoy the daily scraping.

I'm still excited about my shaves, so much so that I am really looking forward to them the night before.
I even plan my shaves in advance listing which razor, blade, brush, soap, aftershave and fragrance to use on that particular day. I use a yearly panner for that. This also ensures that my fountain pens get to be used.

The planning establishes a routine, ensures that each tool and product is used regularly, and saves time in the morning as I know already what things I'll need to prepare. I might change things around on that morning if there is a new item to try out or if I feel like it.

I don't shave on the weekends since my last weekly shave is on a Friday. That will hold me until Sunday and I'll have enough growth on Monday morning for a great shave.

The only exceptions to my weekly schedule are weekend events or an early morning meeting during the week. That shifts my morning shave to the evening as I don't really want to use a cartridge razor for a rushed morning shave anymore. I shaved for almost 40 years with the wrong tools and I won't be going back if I don't really have to, now that I have discovered a better way of shaving.

I shave daily but the razor is mild (AS-D2) the blade is medium (BiC Chrome) and I only do 2 passes both of them WTG. I end up with a something between DFS and CCS which I'm cool with. I have zero irritation and when I splash face tonic I feel no burning whatsoever.

If I was aiming for BBS, it would be too much for my skin to do it daily, and when I have attempted that, I usually end up with skin tears in the sensitive areas like chin, just under the lower lip, and several areas on the neck.

With my current protocol, I rarely get to see blood, and if at all it's usually due to being really careless near a sensitive area, with the most common one being the Adam's apple.

Daily shave with a mild razor and sharp blades in 2 passes. BBS intended, but not every day achieved. It's a fine line. If it is abandoned, it may take a few days to get on track again.

Started out doing every 48 hours
My sweet spot now ( if I do 2 pass shaves) is every 36 hours
This way I can shave 5 days a week instead of 3.5 !
Works wonders for honing technique or trying new blades etc
Also means I can indulge in a nice evening shave as well, which is a wonderful way to wind down before bed for me

I am on blood thinners so I always do a 2 pass shave with a touch up on jawline and/or buffing if needed and find every 36 hours is fine for me, also if I work with an older blade ( more than 4 shaves) the skin adapts very well and every 36 hours is no problem at all

Daily shaver , 5 days a week DE's - Weekends I have more time, SR 's on Saturday & Sunday ( and holidays)...
Do I win anything...
How does this info help others?
BFX

I've been shaving daily since I was 17 or so.

Very rarely skip a day, perhaps once every 2-3 weeks.

Started wet shaving five years ago, took a break for about two and a half years in which time I've tried electric razors (nope...), going back to carts (ok) and finally switching back to wet shaving. Somehow taking that break helped me with improving my tecnique.

WThomas0814

Ditto, ditto
Six shaves per week, Sundays off. Between 1/3 and 1/2 of my shaves are DE. The rest are split between AC and a Gem razors.

My dad shaves every day and he taught me how to shave, so that's what I do. I only skip shaves if my schedule really doesn't allow me to shave or when I'm overtired.

Top Bottom