What's new

How often do you rotate your razor?

Usually I use a razor for at least five days in a row. Sometimes seven. I do this so I can get the feel of it and get the best shave out of it before i switch to a different razor. I have been DE shaving for three years and still don't rotate different every day.

I was wondering if anyone does a different razor every day as a challenge? My guess is that you really have to know your razors well in order not to get weepers and cuts in a daily rotation.

I'm on week 3 of a month using the same razor, i was using too many different style DE razors and my technique was suffering.. I've got 6 newer style razors and 6 or so vintage and for this period i decided on a 1940's Gillette thick handle Tech and its been great!

Except when I am traveling, I use a razor for four or five shaves and when I change the blade I go to the next.

I used to change razors every 5-7 shaves when it was time for a new blade anyway. Then I decided that my various Gillette Super Speeds shave pretty much the same, so have stuck with the red tip since then.

On weekends I go to my country home where I have different shaving gear, but it's another boar brush and red tip SS.

I use injectors exclusively, and I choose the razor du jour based on a number of subjective factors, including beard length and number of uses on the blade, and sometimes "just because." :001_smile

I have one razor (Type E2) that's a little more aggressive and I use that when I have more than 1.5 days growth. My favorite (Type G1) is my go-to razor for daily and "special" shaves...a little less aggressive and a real sweetheart. My other razor (Type I2) is for "all other" shaves...its aggressiveness is (IMHO...others see it differently) between the E and the G, and I use it...well, when I feel like it.

So...obviously no rigorous rotation for me.

This probably doesn't address the question from Z Blade, but it made me think about this and I wanted to put in my $0.02...

I rotate my razors usually after 2 or 3 at the most (shaves)....

Mostly I use vintage Gillettes.... some are the adjustables.

Most of the time though I end up using my simple little 3 piece Tech (1964)... it is easy and delivers fantastic shaves.

Blade life seems extended when I vary the razors used.

Every other day for me. I am an Equal Opportunity Shaver, so I have to give the lovelies equal face time:thumbup:

Usually 2 shaves and then I'll switch, but there is no set rule. I used an Injector on Monday and Tues, an Ikon Slant this morning and maybe the Razorock SS Slant tomorrow. If it's a new razor then I will probably shave at least a week or 2 with it so I can try a few different blades and experiment a bit.

I go with my blade change cycle. 3 shaves and switch. I rotate among the three Merkur adjustables mostly

Same for me, but no country home.

I used to change razors every 5-7 shaves when it was time for a new blade anyway. Then I decided that my various Gillette Super Speeds shave pretty much the same, so have stuck with the red tip since then.

On weekends I go to my country home where I have different shaving gear, but it's another boar brush and red tip SS.

I'm happiest with my Mühle R106 and that is what I stick with at home now, though I have a vintage Gillette adjustable and an aggressive Mühle R41 always ready for rotation. At home I have rotated only once when trying the R41 for a couple weeks. I rotate a couple Bailis, which are made by Weishi, when on the road or showering at the office fitness facility.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
I usually just use whatever I feel like using for the day. I only have two DEs and two shave ready straights, so it's not like I have an overwhelming about of choices.

If I'm using a DE blade that I've never tired before, then I'll make sure to use it at least once in both of my DE razors to get a feel of what it shaves like. Other than that, I just pick depending on my mood.

I stick with my Shick Krona. I've used it for the past two months. Why change what works? I do have a 47 SS which was my previous favorite, but the Krona is so much better that I just keep using. I do have an EJ Kelvin, a black handle and blue tip SS, and also a tech but just like the Krona best. It gives me the best shaves.

Every couple days ... currently rotating between my DE89, Weber PH & Merkur 39C .. All excellent shaves so its hard to not shave with them all

I try and go 6-7 shaves on the same razor and blade. Then I rotate. I'll go with 4-5 de,, se, or injectors with that rotation. It takes me a while to go thru my inventory of 85 razors.

Top Bottom