What's new

How often do you remove and clean your blade on a three piece?

I bet this topic comes up at least every two weeks as a new thread. Guess it'll be around until all the naysayers stop responding.

Not quite as often as the variants on "Can I take a razor when I fly?". I don't even live in the US and I know the TSA rules by now...

Wow. I've come to the conclusion that the first shave with a blade is not as good as the second. I don't have a good explanation for that, but I noticed the same thing when I shaved with fusion.

I take it apart than clean and dry the razor after every single shave. Also, after each shave I toss a blade, with a very few exceptions when use particular blade twice. Always clean, close, irritation free four passes BBS shave. I really enjoy it.

I keep a small coffee cup in my shave drawer filled with a little barbicide and isopropyl alchohol. After rinsing, I loosen the blade in the head to open it a little and either swish it in the cup or just let it soak, then I let it air dry after that. Some days I just forget and leave it in the solution, then rinse before use.

I'm undecided about flipping the blade. I cut finger once while doing it carelessly one day, so may use tweezers. For feather blades in AS-D2, I've settled on two days on one side, two on other, but I'm not sure about others or whether it depends on the razor.

I rotate blades everyday (I currently have 11 blades in rotation) cause I think it's fun to try and compare. I also have a handful or so of razors that I randomly choose between in the morning. If I get something new I like to try it out. So, I take out the blade and clean the razor everyday, regardless if it's a TTO or 3 piece. Also, some of the razors I get are not exactly clean when I get them. Sometimes it takes a lot of effort to make them clean and usable. Somehow it seems wrong to let all of that gunk build up again.

^+1. My routine as well, I like the variety, the extra minute it takes to wipe the razor down with a facecloth and dry and store the blade is time well spent for me...

I clean the razor (TTO) after each shave this way. I finish the touchup rinse the razor under hot water, use a toothbrush to quickly go over the outer doors and under the head. Then use a spray bottle of either 91% Isopropyl Alcohol or very high proof vodka to fully wet down the razor to displace any water. Then place in the rack to dry. I use the razor anywhere from 8-20 shaves on one blade and when I change blades I do a full clean up with a soak in hot water and dawn dish detergent. Maybe a little excessive but it keeps the razors looking brand new and the use of Alcohol seems to vastly prolong blade life in most of my razors.

A 20oz bottle of 91% alcohol costs 1.89 at wal-mart and lasts a little over a month in my daily routine. If I'm out the Vodka is a good substitute till I can get a new bottle.

In my three piece razors I follow the same routine except for the soak at blade change. There is really no need to soak a three piece razor. Just scrub it up and rinse it off.

I use to clean my razors each time when I first started DE shaving. It didn't take me long to find it was just aesthetic and having some film on the razor didn't harm it or effect my shave. I only clean my razors now when I want them to shine again or if it's been a while.

So now I just do what Gillette use to recommend, I loosen the cap rinse the razor off under hot water with the blade in it. Then I shake off the water, tighten it up and hang it up.

I don't think there is any reason to remove or clean the razor blade if it's stainless steel.

I use a different razor and blade every day. I may have anywhere up to a dozen different brands of blades unwrapped at any given time

When I finish my shave, I remove the blade from the razor, drop it on a towel, fold a corner of the towel over and pat it dry. I then move the blade to one of 6 blade wrappers that are marked 1 thought 6 for the number of shaves the blade sitting on that wrapper has on it.

I will then towel dry the razor and sit it aside on the counter to completely dry until the next day when I will put it back away completely dry and choose a different razor to use.

When I shave, I decide which razor to use, then I grab one of the unwrapped blades and shave. Once done I dry the blade and move it down to the next numbered wrapper.

This is about the only way I can keep track of how many shaves I have on a dozen open blades.

proxy.php

How often do you remove and clean your blade on a three piece?
I don't clean the blade but I clean the DE when I switch blades.

I just switched to a three piece from a TTO. With the TTO I remove the blade after every shave rinse, dry, and flip. With the three piece this seems laborious.
Seems laborious with a TTO to me. When I was using a TTO I used the same method that I currently use with my 3 piece.

I wonder: are gents with hard water more prone to need this?
I have hard water.

Last edited:
I bet this topic comes up at least every two weeks as a new thread. Guess it'll be around until all the naysayers stop responding.

Wait, what? Can't even tell from your post which side is the nay-saying side. :blink:

On every razor after each shave i took of the blade sponge it dry until the next shave. I dont want my razor to rust.

My razors are made of brass plated with nickel. Others are stainless steel or zamac plated with nickel. What's to rust?

Exactly my reason for cleaning daily. Limescale is horrendous. I also sometimes find debris on the blade near the cap abutment which confirms a daily clean is helpful.

Thank you. Makes sense!

All I can say is if my father was told he had to disassemble, clean, and dry his razor and blades (even with the TTO he was using) after every shave, he would have grown a beard. :lol: Then again, it wasn't a hobby for him!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
The blade stays tight in my 3 piece razor until it's time to change it; Then the razor gets cleaned. I rinse the razor under hot running water and blot dry. I have hard water so when excess residue shows, the razor goes into a Dawn/water soak overnight. The less I handle the blade, the less the risk of damaging the edge.

I tend to disassemble the razor after each shave, wipe down the razor and 'skin strop' the blade to clean it, and reassemble for the next shave. I'm not sure why I go through it, but it's become part of my ritual.

Ed

When I change blades. Otherwise, I dry down the outside of the razor after use, until I clean it completely when I take it apart to change to the next razor in my rotation.

For each shave I disassemble razor, rinse blade with water, then alcohol, air dry. Then I clean the razor with dishwashing soap solution using a toothbrush, rinse with water, then alcohol and air dry. Overkill no doubt, but a strangely therapeutic ritual nonetheless.

Top Bottom