What's new

How often do you remove and clean your blade on a three piece?

I just switched to a three piece from a TTO. With the TTO I remove the blade after every shave rinse, dry, and flip. With the three piece this seems laborious. Also, I feel like I've read that people leave the blade in until blade changing day.

What's your method?

I do not remove the blade after every shave. I rinse the razor with water, wipe down with a towel (to remove the soap) and hang to dry. I only use the blades a few times and toss. When I insert a new blade I give the entire razor a good scrub down. I think I flipped the blade once and had a real bad shae the nextr day so in my thoughts that was the cause.

I blow the water out and pat the razor dry is all. I change the blade every 4th shave lately. That's when I clean the razor.

Me, too.

I do not remove the blade after every shave. I rinse the razor with water, wipe down with a towel (to remove the soap) and hang to dry. I only use the blades a few times and toss. When I insert a new blade I give the entire razor a good scrub down. I think I flipped the blade once and had a real bad shae the nextr day so in my thoughts that was the cause.

After each shave I open the razor a bit to make it easier for the water to drain. I leave the razor on its side. I have no idea if this makes a difference or not, but it is easy enough to do.

I take mine apart and clean (rinse/blow) after every shave. I have noticed that little rust stains will appear if I do not.

I never remove the blade. I loosen the cap slightly, rinse it well, then swish it in a jar of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol displaces the water so there is no worry of staining, and it sanitizes the razor (not that I'm too worried about that.) Then I just change blades when I need to.
There is no right or wrong way to do it. Blade flipping is completely unnecessary.

I never remove the blade. I loosen the cap slightly, rinse it well, then swish it in a jar of rubbing alcohol. The alcohol displaces the water so there is no worry of staining, and it sanitizes the razor (not that I'm too worried about that.) Then I just change blades when I need to.
There is no right or wrong way to do it. Blade flipping is completely unnecessary.

Same , i take apart scrub with old tooth brush then dip in alcohol. ...put back in rotation

Perhaps I'm a bit on the fussy side, but I remove the blade, rinse it, and place it back in its sleeve. I then give a quick scrub with a soft bristle toothbrush to the handle, guard, and cap. Takes me about a minute extra, but it keeps everything clean and tidy.

That said, I think full disclosure is in order: My shave den is the ONLY thing in the house that's kept clean and tidy at all times. Why is that?

I keep the blade in until I'm ready for a new one. I often have to loosen the razor in order to shake out hair while shaving but that's because I've been lazy and not been shaving everyday and it clogs up. That's one of the reasons we like DE's over cartridges anyway right? The last blade I switched out had been in the razor for at least a month, but like I said I haven't been using it everyday. Say, 10 shaves at least, maybe more. Even then I only changed it because I realized, "This blade has been in here for at least a month", not because it was uncomfortable or giving me nicks.

The razor itself, when I clean it I usually just use a toothbrush to get the soap buildup off of it.

As with most everything else in wet shaving (and many other things) YMMV. You have a picture or details about that three piece razor? I'm sure we would all enjoy admiring it with you.

I pull mine apart to clean every time - I like to have it dry before I put it back together.. I only do a polish with a toothbrush after a blade is thrown away.

I toss the blade after 3 shaves, at that time I give the head a thorough polish. As a side note I always thought the threads only had a certain lifespan, so why use more than necessary.... :001_smile

I take it apart, rinse and clean the blade and razor after every single shave. I then towel dry each and every piece and let them dry completely before putting them back together.​

I blow the water out and pat the razor dry is all. I change the blade every 4th shave lately. That's when I clean the razor.

Same here, except I change blades on Tuesdays and Fridays. They go 5 days OK, but a regular schedule keeps me from ever feeling a dull blade.

I, too, clean the inside of the razor after each shave, whether three-piece or one piece. Changing of blades depends on the blade; some last far longer than others.

Top Bottom