What's new

How often do you refresh an edge?

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
+1
I wasn't going to try the diamond pasted balsa method because I believed it couldn't possibly be significantly better than my results with lap film. But I eventually gave the balsa a try (I was just curious about it), and was surprised by how much better the shaves were with the diamond pasted balsa. I honestly did not realize razors could be that sharp. So I'm a convert now. I do exactly what you do - strop on balsa after every shave. It just takes a couple minutes. And now I never have to re-hone a razor maintained by the diamond balsa stropping. LOL, I am totally spoiled now, and could never go back to another method... not after experiencing shaving with the razors stropped on diamond balsa.
+1
I wasn't going to try the diamond pasted balsa method because I believed it couldn't possibly be significantly better than my results with lap film. But I eventually gave the balsa a try (I was just curious about it), and was surprised by how much better the shaves were with the diamond pasted balsa. I honestly did not realize razors could be that sharp. So I'm a convert now. I do exactly what you do - strop on balsa after every shave. It just takes a couple minutes. And now I never have to re-hone a razor maintained by the diamond balsa stropping. LOL, I am totally spoiled now, and could never go back to another method... not after experiencing shaving with the razors stropped on diamond balsa.
No kidding - I had to get six more GD66’s to have something to hone!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
+1
Resistance is futile. You have been assimilated.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
+1

When you have everything dialed in, you can usually get a razor sharper than most DE blades. Try holding the balsa vertical, so that the weight of the razor can't create pressure, and just gently gently brush against the balsa and increase the laps. It might take a few sessions to bring it home at this degree of fineness. Also, lightly rub the balsa with a tshirt to remove excess diamonds and swarf. The slurry effect puts a limit on final sharpness. Finally, add a few pull strokes at the end, then a few more regular laps, for a crazy smooth shave. Pasted balsa sharpness is basically limited only by the granularity of the steel, and it even overcomes that, to a degree, as the diamond can cut carbide particles with relative ease.

That's better than anything I get. I have to hit the pastes way sooner. Every two three shaves maybe?

EDIT: Ok maybe I wouldn't have to. I'm just obsessed with the edge.
Yeah that’s way too soon my dude, I get tons of shaves before I have to refresh

When you have everything dialed in, you can usually get a razor sharper than most DE blades. Try holding the balsa vertical, so that the weight of the razor can't create pressure, and just gently gently brush against the balsa and increase the laps. It might take a few sessions to bring it home at this degree of fineness. Also, lightly rub the balsa with a tshirt to remove excess diamonds and swarf. The slurry effect puts a limit on final sharpness. Finally, add a few pull strokes at the end, then a few more regular laps, for a crazy smooth shave. Pasted balsa sharpness is basically limited only by the granularity of the steel, and it even overcomes that, to a degree, as the diamond can cut carbide particles with relative ease.
No straight razor is sharper than a double edge

No straight razor is sharper than a double edge
There are scanning electron micrographs out there (I don't think we're allowed to link to it here) directly comparing a stropped straight to a Feather DE. The straight razor has a narrower apex and is narrower behind the apex for some distance. So maybe not all straight razors, but that one was objectively sharper than a DE.

I am a two pass shaver and have a Ralf Aust with well over twenty five two pass shaves and it gets nothing but the strop since it’s was last honed. Still shaves great.

I added two more of the same model to my stable and am now spreading out the work between the three.

I think strop technique is really the driver. Maybe I’m wrong but a heavy hand and slack strop showed me quick that it ruins a fine edge in a few strokes.

In my debut I was kind of obsess about the# of shave before a refresh! Now I just refresh on the feel of the shave, what I mean by that is just when the shave start to be uncomfortable, tugging or when the blade doesn’t glide well in the lather it’s time to refresh. I usually don’t push my edge I mean the second I feel it I refresh right away.

I’ve been using traditional Straights and honing for 8 months and haven’t needed a touch up yet.

But I’ve been thinking about what I’m going to do when that time comes…

And I think I’m going to just do 15 to 30 laps on my chromium oxide. And with that stops working I will Bring it to my Naniwa 12k.

Some people just like to kill the edge on some glass or the edge of the stone then take it back to as low as a 1 or 3K and just do their regular progression. Not sure of that it’s overkill or you just really feel like honing lol

Thoughts?

BTW My progression is (all naniwa)
1k 3K 8k 12k 👉🏻 Crome Ox than stropping Routine

In my debut I was kind of obsess about the# of shave before a refresh! Now I just refresh on the feel of the shave, what I mean by that is just when the shave start to be uncomfortable, tugging or when the blade doesn’t glide well in the lather it’s time to refresh. I usually don’t push my edge I mean the second I feel it I refresh right away.
Same, In the beginning I was counting to see how many shaves I could get before a refresh but now I’m just going to do it by feel. It’s the best thing at after all. But in the future I would like to keep track just to see the ballpark #

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I never "refresh" an SR, unless you consider after-shave hanging pasted balsa stropping refreshing.

My record is 174 shaves on just clean strops. I have a seven day rotation so the high mileage edges are compared to low mileage edges every week. 174 is an outlier with 60-120 being more the norm. One of my edges is presently at 2 shaves so it's a pretty fresh standard to compare to.

I never let a razor get to the tugging stage. When I notice that an area or two of my face is a little less smooth post shave, I give that razor one more shave just in case I didn’t shave well that day.
If the second shave leaves a less close feel in the same areas I refresh it.
The giveaway areas are my chin, top lip, neck and corners of my jaw.
I do daily four pass shaves and my beard is tough so from a carbon steel blade I’m getting probably 5-10 shaves before refreshing. Many more on a stainless blade.
I could easily carry on for more shaves but I like that fresh edge feel, it’s a rich reward I can have always for taking the time to learn how to sharpen my razor.

I’ve seen some bad edges and grind lines on razors posted in the SR forums. You can be the judge why some folks are going the stones, pastes, and balsa after a couple shaves. 🫣 Old school barbers weren’t honing everyday day, weekly, or sometimes even monthly. In my area, they used a professional sharpener who serviced all their razors and scissors. Once properly honed, a quality blade should only need stropping. I get 6+ months of shaving between going to the ceramics.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have a few vintage straight razors and have found that after about 12 2-pass shaves I need to refresh the edge with CrOx and FeOx or with 1u and 0.3u lapping film. The razors came shave ready from reputable BnB members. After every shave I strop on leather for 30 passes. Is this typical? Any tips on maintaining edge longevity?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I refresh after each shave on .1 diamond pasted balsa.

Ravenonrock

I shaved the pig
I can determine quickly if the shave is not living up to my regular standard of comfort. That razor gets put aside and I will continue with something I have more confidence in. That’s when I’ll determine if the razor needs a refresh or something more involved. Since I rotate a modest variety of razors usually a 12k refresh is all that’s required. I will add that I often do a single pass.

The refresh rate will depend on the type of edge and type/quality of the steel. A balsa edge edge is usually refreshed after 5 shaves. A jnat finished edge will last longer then a synthetic finished edge. I am generally able to get allot more shaves from a TI razor then a German razor if they are finished the same. A pushed edge will not last as long as a less optimized edge.
After i started stropping on linen in addition to leather my edges seem to last longer.

Top Bottom